WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at two "submariner" type watches and would like to get feedback for my fellow watch afficionados. Seiko SKX031K2 & Orient 2ER00001B... both have that classic vintage look which I am partial to. Any thoughts? Also I can't seem to rotate wearing my watches evenly and I want to but an electric watch winder for at least 4 watches. But they're so expensive..I don't need fancy wood or leather cabinets. Just took the plunge and bought my first Japan only Seiko fro Seiya Japan, the "Explore 1" looking Seiko quartz SBQK081, beautiful timepiece it really captivated me! Can't wait to get it...heard lots of good stuff on Sieya-san.:)

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I am looking at two "submariner" type watches and would like to get feedback for my fellow watch afficionados. Seiko SKX031K2 & Orient 2ER00001B... both have that classic vintage look which I am partial to. Any thoughts? Also I can't seem to rotate wearing my watches evenly and I want to but an electric watch winder for at least 4 watches. But they're so expensive..I don't need fancy wood or leather cabinets. Just took the plunge and bought my first Japan only Seiko fro Seiya Japan, the "Explore 1" looking Seiko quartz SBQK081, beautiful timepiece it really captivated me! Can't wait to get it...heard lots of good stuff on Sieya-san.:)
Both the Seiko and the Orient 'subs' are excellent watches. They are both well built, well finished and excellent value for the dollar. The only thing you need to do is choose the one that looks better to you...or buy both, they are not that expensive :)

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
It really depends on what you're looking for. The Seiko is inspired by the Submariner, but still retains classic Seiko diver design cues like the hands and day/date indicator. The Orient is basically a clone of the Sub. One area that the Seiko will be clearly superior is the lume - I've read the the Orient Sub's lume is worthless. But from an overall quality standpoint, they're both good watches that will serve you well.

I have no advice on the watch winder other than to save your money and let the watches wind down. It only takes a minute to shake a watch to get it running & set the time/date. And that's part of the fun of owning mechanical watches IMHO. Also, unless you've got a lot of very accurate COSC watches, they'll probably need the time adjusted anyway after spending long periods of time on a winder. My suggestion is to use that money and buy more watches!

Welcome to the forum, and be sure to post some pics when that package from Seiya arrives. :-!

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello HuPuTan, thanks, you'll get me in trouble w/ my wife w/ my habit!!! I'm leaning towards the Orient model, as it has the cyclop mag. looks more classic.
regards, Dr. Robert

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello OTG, thanks for your feedback. Very interesting thoughts on watch winder.
I alternate twice daily M-f dress work watch, then home, a sport type!! Timepieces are fun! After reading reviews on both, the lume thing may turn me to ther Seiko.
I'm figuring out how to post pics and will do so when new Seiko arrives.
regards, Dr. Robert
2004 Panerai Luminor Marina 40mm white dial
1997 Seiko Quartz diver, "Sub" influenced-rubber strap pepsi bevel
1992 Casio Quart sport type all black,analog w/ a small digital section, rubber strap
1974 Rolex Explorer 2 w/orange hand.
1973 " " " " " " " " " " " " "
1966 Omega Seamaster De Ville SS auto w/ SS strap.
1963 Rolex Datejust 18K yellow gold, champagne dial, stick indices,blk. lizard Rolex strap.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Goldie'sdad, thanks for feedback, now I'll look at them closer..color on watch & bracelet. Hard chioce!!!
Regards, Dr. Robert
2004 Panerai Luminor Marina auto SS 40mm blk. croc. deploy. strap.
1997 Seiko quartz "Sub" influenced diverSS body, pepsi bevel blk. Seiko rubber dive strap.
1992 Casi quartz sport watch analog dail,w/small dig display on bottom all blk, rubber strap.
1974 Rolex Explorer 2 SS,oyster bracelet, w/orange 24 hr. hand.
1973 " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "
1966 Omega Seamaster De Ville auto, SS,SS bracelet,date.
1963 Rolex Datejust 18K yellow gold,champagne dial,stick indices,blk. Rolex lizard strap.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Raisebyrats! Got side tracked and took the plunge, bought a Japan market Seiko thru Seiya Japan- A SS "Explorer 1" look, high end quartz, very sharp model SBQK081, look at their site Seiya Japan. They also have an auto mech. again an "Explorer 1" look ( I have a weakness for that look) SARB015. may have to wait on the dive type look! I already have a Seiko quartz dive watch, 007 look with winder at 3 o'clock and pepsi bezelregards, Dr. Robert
p.s. I also have to have a 1966 Omega Seamaster De Ville serviced , got to buy a looery ticket!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts