WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 40mm Curvex, cal 440 that the movement is dead. I also have a Veri Thin also with a cal 440 (at least that's what I see) and is running great. The Curvex cal is clearly marked "Curvex", the Veri Thin is marked "Veri Thin" -no big secrets here.

I would like to swap the Veri Thin cal into the Curvex. I believe that I can switch the dials or maybe someone can advise me on this? Will they be the same, as to the dial mounting and etc? Can someone tell me how the dial is mounted to the movement?

And I don't want the Vintage Gruen Gods to look down on me, is this something that should be done?

Thanks in advance,
John Revolver Tool Metal Copper Fashion accessory Antique Rectangle

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Some dials just push on e.g Tissot are like this. And some have a 2 tiny screws on the side of the movement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have removed and re-installed dials. These 2 little Gruens are different.
John,

The movement on the right in your photo is a 440 Curvex. I believe the movement on the left to be a 430 Veri-Thin. Other than the main plates, these two movements are nearly completely interchangeable. The dial from one will fit the dial from the other, and the dial is held on conventionally, by two small dial foot screws, located in the edge of the movement.

This is an easily possible switch, and one that is not infrequently encountered, but I would advise against it. It should not be too hard to get your 440 up and running, and your Curvex would remain correct. Swapping the movements (even if you are the only person who would know) creates a mismatched pair, and a watch that isn't what it purports to be. Remember, it's the movement that defines a Curvex.

My two cents...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THX, C. Hurt! I haven't done it yet and I'm feeling a lot of remorse already. I'll have the Curvex movement looked at and see what it will take to fix.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm glad you're having it looked at and taking the advice as you've said in your last post John.

Since nearly all the parts are 100% interchangeable you could darned near move all of the Veri-Thin parts over to the Curvex. So, whatever ill your Curvex is experiencing, you've got a Veri-Thin movement right there with all the spare parts you need. That is, assuming you're willing to sacrifice your Veri-Thin to get your Curvex up. Have it looked at as you've said you would. It could be something simple that you don't even need parts for.

Perhaps unlike other brands, what movement is in what case matters more than a little to Gruen collectors. If you look inside the backs of your cases, you'll find one stamped with 430, the other 440. Should you swap in a movement that doesn't match that number, it's a dead give-away that you've done something fishy.

If you really get into Gruens or want to chat with other Gruen collectors, come on over to the Gruen Wristwatches site. Just google those two words and you'll find it and the forum there (not keen on posting a direct link here just in case of a forum rule). 100% Gruen nuts there that are more than willing to lend a hand and help you out. :-!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the correct thing with this Curvex. I found an authentic and working cal 440 and it it now installed in this great watch. I'm proud of myself! I also added a new glass crystal and I wear it very proudly. Thanks again for the input I received.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts