1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a men's pocket watch in a standard metall case. And case is marked:

Mark1.jpg

The clockwork is marked with the "Swiss made". Anyone of you knows this brand and who is the manufacturer?

Thank you very much.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The picture shown by you looks just like a standard German silver hallmark of that time (mid 1880s onwards) and has nothing to do with the watch per se. So, the case is German (not unusual at that time, even in Swiss watches).

German Hallmarks II, page 1 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

I would advise you to post photos of the watch, particularly the movement, so we can help you further.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your answer. I am a beginner in the knowledge of watches. I attach to preview a photo (not very good). In the evening I will add better photos. Thank you again.

IMG-20150112-01316.jpg

On the back cover is engraved "0800" (in a rectangle) and "1606y29v" (record of repair?).

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The 0800 is the silver content (80% pure silver, which is a sometimes referred to as coin silver). Thats a "usable" silver content (as opposed to the higher grade Sterling standard of 95%). Coin silver doesn't polish as brightly as sterling, but it's more rugged and doesn't tarnish as quickly, usually. If the other code looks like it was hand written, then yes that's a watchmakers service code. Generally useless to you unless you happen to have access to the original watchmaker's records.

The blue numbers on the dial and general design of the watch point to the 20's, I think. It's a pin-set movement (you set the time by pushing in the pin to the right of the crown, then turning the crown). This type of system was decreasingly common after the turn of the century, and could suggest a somewhat more functional, lower-grade movement. That would be in keeping with a watch being sold in Germany post WWI, but I'm speculating a bit. We'd need to see a picture of the movement (the part with the gears) to say much more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Resolved, it UOT.
Tellus (Ulrich Wilhelm) - founded in 1928 in Frankfurt. Tellus brand was registered on 22 February 1927 in Switzerland. The most famous watch brand was UOT. In 1939 the company was in liquidation.
Is this correct?

Thank you all

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts