WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to own a classic vintage watch with dome crystal, nice polished case and new leather strap. But i find it very tough to find a bigger vintage watch. Most are 34 to 38mm. I'm looking in 40 to 44mm range. Are there any known models or manufacturers that produced watches in 40 to 44mm diameter?

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
You don't say what your budget is, so I'm just going to give you my favorites and assume that you have deep pockets. ;-)

At 41mm, an Omega Speedmaster Professional is the obvious example that comes initially to mind. You might also consider a large (42mm) EPSA supercompressor watch from one of various brands. These latter are dive watches, but with an internal rotating bezel so they are a bit more refined.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you mean a dress watch then I do not know of any. However there are a few late 60s to early 70s chronos or divers watches that would fit the bill? As Dan asks, what is your budget?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, you're going to have some trouble finding contemporary hockey-puck sized watches in the vintage arena. The look just wasn't very popular until relatively recently. Looking for chronographs and divers are a good suggestion but even those probably aren't going to get you to the 44mm realm where you want to be. Maybe check Atlantic. They made some watches that were large for the time but not sure quite how large they got, they're definitely not in the bozo the clown range a lot of people like nowadays.

You might be best sticking to retro looking modern watches.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you just want vintage style then you could always go for a modern re-issue/re-interpretation but in a modern size large case..many companies have produced re-issues but at the more affordable end of the market Tissot and Hamilton spring to mind for automatic movements often in a range of case sizes
Genuine vintage will most likely mean a 1970`s diver or chronos to reach larger sizes - so they may be pricey as they seem in vogue at the moment.
If you like vintage why not just accept the original smaller size - at least it will stand out from the current trend and others won`t assume it`s a modern quartz.
The choice of strap can help add wrist presence too depending on the style of watch you can pop in on a wide bund,or if it`s a dress watch put it on a good quality leather strap that isn`t tapered at the buckle end .
If you do find a larger size vintage case (say 40mm) the lug size for a strap will likely be no greater than 20mm so the watch proportions in relation to the strap may look a bit off.
Do you have any pictures of the sort of style you`re looking for?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$_1.JPG

I love vintage dress watches. If i could get one with patina inside and clean clear crystal over it.
An example i found but at 33mm just to small.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I don't think you will find a legitimate vintage dress watch that is larger than 38mm, but that is much larger than 33mm. Have you tried on a 38mm dress watch to see if that works for you? If you find one that is "all dial", it will have a fairly large wrist presence.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Check out Soviet Russian wristwatches. IMHO they made some of the best and most interesting watches of the 'vintage' era. Some of them are huge and either a little odd, ie. Poljot and Chaicka Stadium watches but the 'Ural' is large and elegantly designed. 1950s. Too big for my wrist. So I stayed clear. You might take a look at the Soviet forum and have a look at WRUW for the month or ask for large watches of the type your looking for. Good Luck whatever road you go down.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Interesting, I have the identical watch, and it is 38.4mm excluding the crown and pushers. I have also seen similar models that are 35mm. I wonder if there are actually three different sizes.
Yes, that has been my experience, too. I have a 35mm white one, probably late 30's to early 40's but scaled in miles.

Any correlation between width and country where sold? My white one has an import stamping M.O.C. and the black one has none.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well i got myself in trouble now. I really like these three watches right now, but my problem is, i don't know if they are "real" or some kind of franskestein versions. Can you tell me anything about them and maybe steer me towards one of them:

Lanco MOD 11. Size case 37mm. I would put it on a tan leather strap. I believe this one is real and looks fantastic to me.
s-l1600.jpg

Breitling Geneve, case 37mm. I'm not really into black dial watches but this one looks nice. I'll say name of the watch is telling me it would be worth buying it but i'm not sure if this model is anything special.

s-l16001.jpg

Vette, case 36mm. I know nothing about this watches. Is it a chinese copy or a real 60's wath with ETA 1120 mechanism. Patina looks really nice on this one.

4.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
The Lanco has a look of a photo from a certain eBay seller from Poland who does heavy restoration (over-polishing the case, re-plating, replacement hands, etc.) to make watches look good superficially, and then tries to sell them for inflated prices. His watches are a mixed bag, so you will really need to do your homework.

The dial on the Breitling looks a bit suspicious to me, but I will leave it for others to comment on.

The Vetta is real, but the dial is very badly damaged. That is more than just a little patina, it is mold, corrosion, or something equally bad. There is also really bad damage to the plating on one of the lugs, and I imagine that the backs of the lugs are in really bad shape. If you like it, ok, but make sure that the movement isn't rusty. And don't pay much for it; dials and cases with that sort of damage don't command high prices.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
My suspicion is that the Breitling also has a sort of "granular" look to the dial which points to a redial (at best) or a fake (at worst). Without a picture of the movement, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Which brings us to a general point: without movement pictures, it's difficult to say anything with certainty.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
344 Posts
So not really a dress watch but, I have a vintage Sicura 1970s that fits the bill as a large vintage watch at about 41-42mm. I will be selling it after it gets back from a service at Govberg in Philadelphia.
IMG_2399.JPG IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2518.JPG

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You sir know something about vintage watches.

Lanco IS from a Polish seller. I still like it a lot, but price is high (around 260 eur). Breitling was already sold, Vette is 100 eur+ (bidding) but now you scared me about mold and damage. I'll just have to keep looking.

Well i got myself in trouble now. I really like these three watches right now, but my problem is, i don't know if they are "real" or some kind of franskestein versions. Can you tell me anything about them and maybe steer me towards one of them:

Lanco MOD 11. Size case 37mm. I would put it on a tan leather strap. I believe this one is real and looks fantastic to me.
View attachment 10937242

Breitling Geneve, case 37mm. I'm not really into black dial watches but this one looks nice. I'll say name of the watch is telling me it would be worth buying it but i'm not sure if this model is anything special.

View attachment 10937258

Vette, case 36mm. I know nothing about this watches. Is it a chinese copy or a real 60's wath with ETA 1120 mechanism. Patina looks really nice on this one.

View attachment 10937298

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seller wants the bidding to start at 100 eur but there are no takers yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts