WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I need help identifying this PW watch. I tried to search on net, not able to get info.

What kind of watch is it? what's the movement, date Thank you for your answer :)

helio

IMG_0443 (Small).JPG IMG_0442 (Small).JPG

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Well, "Mawi" shows as being registered to "Mack Mawi & Co." in 1964, which is about right for a pocketwatch with incabloc shock protection. Surprising that it only has 15 jewels given how cheap jewels are, but the center wheel has the widest pinion of all the gears, which makes the center wheel jewel arguably the most expensive one to create. The movement is probably a variation of the ETA 953 or one of that family; there really weren't that many large movements being made by the swiss, and unitas had most of that market (so much so that when they all merged, ETA continued to use the UT calibers in favor of their own).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, "Mawi" shows as being registered to "Mack Mawi & Co." in 1964, which is about right for a pocketwatch with incabloc shock protection. Surprising that it only has 15 jewels given how cheap jewels are, but the center wheel has the widest pinion of all the gears, which makes the center wheel jewel arguably the most expensive one to create. The movement is probably a variation of the ETA 953 or one of that family; there really weren't that many large movements being made by the swiss, and unitas had most of that market (so much so that when they all merged, ETA continued to use the UT calibers in favor of their own).
AbslomRob,

Today the local watch service guy told me the Movement is FHF 19 2124, after checking the RanfftWatches movement, I can't find any match, the bridge are not same, is it possible he give wrong info to me?

Helio

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I find that highly unlikely; the FHF's didn't use bridges for the gear train, and that's not a simple "bridge modification". It also don't match up with the suspected date, as I don't think FHF was making those in the 60's.

Are there any symbols or numbers visible under the balance? If not, we'd need a picture of the setting works (underneath the front dial) to tell you more.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts