WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a nice day,

I need help identifying this watch. My grandpa had them, but they are not in good condition, rather the opposite. On watch is a "ARFS" and on the back cover is a hallmark of .585 and 14K.

I tried to identify them according to this site, but I cant find bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Junghans J9 same mechanism. I looked all Alpina and Junghans.

They look a little like this: https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/looking-help-id-my-opas-watch-pics-131550.html

What kind of watch is it? And what may be the price, if any? They are full gold or just gold plated?

Thank you for your answer :)

Jpell (1).JPG 4.JPG 8.JPG
2.JPG 6.JPG

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This is Record,cal.31K O.F.(lepine),18 1/2''' from 1930's.Case is solid gold,but i'd say that your watch in general is beyond repairable.Rgds!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is Record,cal.31K O.F.(lepine),18 1/2''' from 1930's.Case is solid gold,but i'd say that your watch in general is beyond repairable.Rgds!
What does it mean Record cal.31K OF (Lepine), 18 1/2'' '?
I'm not a watch expert unfortunately :-/
Apropos, have some value or not?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Fixing that case looks like fun. If I had it, I'd unpin that caseback and chase the original contour out on a dapping block and re-solder the hinges. You could then roll the center frame to round, flatten it and solder the pendant post back in place. After pinning the back on, I'd fit a bow to the pendant post, round and flatten the bezel and interference fit a heavy glass crystal. I guess you could polish it if that's your thing.

After you vibrate a new hairspring and dig that broken crown wheel screw out with the BSXT, it's all cake other than chasing down the parts. I wouldn't do much to the dial.

p

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like the way you think pithy. Most people would have just said "ah, it'll buff out..."

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I dig that crazy 4!
Myself! That's a great type style - particularly in relief.

Truing the old one would be more fun.
If you hadn't noticed - we're pushing the hairspring stock this quarter. Vibrating a new one commands a price of $100 as a stand alone service. Whereas correcting the old one - well doesn't look all that challenging or time consuming. Plus, from visual based metalurgical spectro-fashion analysis, I determined that I would prefer a dark plum colored spring on this watch to contrast with the goldish hued bridges.

About polishing precious metal in general and my reluctance to grind on a beat up ole pw case:

There is a reason why access to the dust collection bin in the polishing room is strictly controlled - there's gold (and silver and platinum) in them thar hills of compound. It all goes to the reclamer.

p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts