WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have officially moved on from Damasko. The turn around time for the DA 37 was way to long. I have been on the wait list for months already and have now realized it was not worth it. :-|

I am in the hunt for a new watch now. I have had my sees on a U1 but open to any suggestions. I really liked the Heinrich Geisen watches Mike Stuffler noted but maybe difficult to acquire. I am so done with waiting lists.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for a "real" German made watch in the price range of $1,000? :think: I enjoy sport and classic pieces like the Union Julius Bergter Kleine Sekunde. Please help!

The Germans I already have are: Nomos PR, Sinn 656, Stowa Prodiver, and Chronoswiss Timemaster (Swiss-German). Just sold a Stowa MO.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!! :-!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i FEEL FOR YOU sc.......

The only way I was able to get my Damaskos was by sheer luck of emailing Watchmann when he happened to have a few extras.
You certainly should rack your brain over a watch, no matter what the watch is. But like others have mentioned, just leave your name on the list and forget about it, but in the mean time, buy yourself something nice that you want.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I gave up on Damasko long ago and ending up buying a Sinn 756 PVd tegimented on bracelet. forget Damasko not worth it unless you find them preowned, you better hope nothing goes wrong with one you'll end up getting it back a year later.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Knew you were gonna bail.
Sinn never made a watch equal (prices considered) to Damasko.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you bailed on a Damasko, I think in it's class there's no equal IMO. Is there a chance you can keep your order in, and find a " in the meantime " watch? I understand perfectly your frustration of the wait, but I think we'll be rewarded in the end, just patience is required ( a lot of patience! ). PM me for one more AD to go through, as I don't know the rules for posting that here on the forum. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

David

·
Registered
575 Posts
i FEEL FOR YOU sc.......

But like others have mentioned, just leave your name on the list and forget about it, but in the mean time, buy yourself something nice that you want.

Thats exactly what i did, and forgot about it. I'd check in from time to time, and eventually it came in. My only problem was i ended up buying seven more watches in between while waiting for my damasko. ;-)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a DA37 and I have to say it is a marvellous watch, more so when one knows about and appreciates the technological innovations involved with both case and movement. I disliked the yellow second hand and the "crosshair" of the DA36 from the outset,but I instantly warmed to the 37.However I was only able to buy one due to some good fortune over on the TZ-UK forum (thanks again John/abraxas), otherwise I would still be on the Timefactors waiting list many months later. I decided to shrink my collection (I'm a wearer not a collector), so it was going to be 2 or 3 out and a DC 57 or 67 in. FAT CHANCE! I have also now given up on Fias**, sorry Damasko and decided that when I change it will be for a Sinn 757, maybe a UTC.I can live without constant seconds, plus the Sinn has larger subdials with with "5" markers on the minute counter, making the watch much easier to read.Also I would order the watch with a countdown bezel. I think such a watch will prove to be a perfect all rounder.It wouldn't be so bad if Damasko didn't behave in such a secretive fashion and put updates on their website, the last "news" they posted was way back in 2006!There's my 2pen'orth on this sorry situation.:-|

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe I am an exception, but I just ordered a DC56 from Damasko and my experience so far has been very good. Maybe it is just a matter of expectation.

I sent them an email and within two days I got an email saying Nadja was out of the office and would get back to me once she returned on November 21st. She got back to me, we corresponded a few times by email all within about an hour and everything is set up. She was up front and said that the waiting time was a MINIMUM of 6 to 9 months. When I ordered I knew this.

As others have said, I will now just forget about it and it will be a pleasent surprise when I finally get the email saying it is ready.

If you really want a particular watch you will wait (especially now, I have heard about shortages at Rolex, TAG, and while PP is out of my league, I suspect there may be a wait for those too if you want a particular model). I can always scratch the "buying itch" b-) by buying something else in the meantime. Afterall, it isn't like I need to have the watch right away, I have others!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm almost there myself. The more I think about it, the 757 is becoming a reality. Also crusaders pic comparison post did raise a few good points regarding the larger subdials and legibility.
Accountability and service is very important to me; what if i need to service the DC66? My feeling is it would be next to impossible.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I talked with nadja today 6-9 months on the dc 56 or 57,so that means 9-12 months. dc 66 or 67 not making anymore of these this year, so who knows on these. and as far as service forget it, your watch will be in service for 6 months or more. Sinn 757 is the way to go or archimede or guinand or hacher.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
for those who want immediate gratification, by all means get the sinn.

i just wish that you'd take your names off the waiting list with whomever you contacted so that others like myself who STILL want a damasko can get one. there was a bloke last month who was selling a just arrived dc56 (he no longer was interested in the watch after the long wait) when it would have been better off being sent to someone who actually wants the match.

the sinn is the choice if you want a bracelet w/the watch. i still think the damasko is the better watch, better aesthetics and surely superior on tech. sinn's QA/QC isn't what it used to be, btw.

if it's somethng trivial, any watchmaker who has experience with v7750 movements can probably fix it. 3+ months is pretty much standard for any repair nowadays for the majority of swiss watches that have to be sent back, i haven't heard much different for german watches.

i emailed nadja 3 times in the last 2 months for a dc66 and not a word from her. all i wanted was confirmation that my name was to be added to the wait list. guess i'll send another email after the holidays. <sigh>

I talked with nadja today 6-9 months on the dc 56 or 57,so that means 9-12 months. dc 66 or 67 not making anymore of these this year, so who knows on these. and as far as service forget it, your watch will be in service for 6 months or more. Sinn 757 is the way to go or archimede or guinand or hacher.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, you can't have mine!:-d Tonight, I got an email from Nadja confirming "officially" that they have taken and processed the order. Now the wait begins!b-) All, try to be patient, and hang in there...I know it's easier said than done, and there most likely be times in the coming months that I have to be reminded of such. I do believe we'll be rewarded someday by an email saying the watch is ready, and we'll be in heaven with the quality, accuracy, and finish of the watch. Now, about the bracelet...;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all from an expat in Hong Kong!
David Bradford

P.S. Hang in there Denizen!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Getting a Sinn, Archimede, Guinand or Hacher (all fine brands) is a great option.
You're still a far cry from a Damasko though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Getting a Sinn, Archimede, Guinand or Hacher (all fine brands) is a great option.
You're still a far cry from a Damasko though.
I have owned a Sinn 103 Ti UTC, a Sinn U1, a Sinn U2, and a Sinn UX and while they were all nice, none felt better made than my DC-66. :think:

The only thing that keeps the DC-66 from being the perfect watch for me is the lack of bracelet.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I am not sure I understand the concept of quitting a wait list because it is "not worth it." If you knew there was a wait, then why bother adding your name if you are going to get frustrated and walk away?

I have a Randall knife on order that is scheduled for delivery in 2012! I could buy one right now at a huge premium from another source, but I want mine new from the maker. I have no idea if Damasko watches are worth the wait in respect of what you get for your money, but to complain about it seems pointless. You either want the watch or you don't. Period.

S

·
0 Posts
I am not sure I understand the concept of quitting a wait list because it is "not worth it." If you knew there was a wait, then why bother adding your name if you are going to get frustrated and walk away?

I have a Randall knife on order that is scheduled for delivery in 2012! I could buy one right now at a huge premium from another source, but I want mine new from the maker. I have no idea if Damasko watches are worth the wait in respect of what you get for your money, but to complain about it seems pointless. You either want the watch or you don't. Period.
I wonder why nobody is complaining waiting for a Dorni. :think:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I wonder why nobody is complaining waiting for a Dorni. :think:
Maybe because in the case of a Dornblüth the amount of manual work on the movement is more evident than in the case of Damasko - the Damaskos apparently have excellent regulation, but other than that, there is actually little manual labor in the vein of Dornblüth involved, I would think. :think:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I thinkUSC is just trying to get over the emotional component on not being able to satisfy his need for instant gratification! lol:-d

But there is nothing wrong with that.

However, I will say this though. There is no need to be getting angry or frustrated with Damasko, because we all know that the issue isn't lasck of customer service or a company or manufacturer deliberately ignore it's customers, whether they be existing or potential. The problem is lack of movements and that the "watch company" is basically a husband and wife team. 2 people. It's not like they are the Swatch group.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts