WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

Registered
I think Omega tends to measure size bit bigger. I dont think 42mm SMP has a 42mm case, but about 40~41. So I think 40mm SMP would be sweet!
Maybe you should track down one of these. Might be just the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon

Premium Member
If I were thinking about some quartz divers, I would go Seiko tuna 300m. It is one of the best quartz divers on this market. I thought about getting a quartz SMP though but it would be 41mm variant if I were going to buy.
You can get a mid-size 36.25mm Coaxial. It doesn鈥檛 have to be a quartz.

Registered
Size and helium valve has always kept me away from their divers. At least the Speedy has had reduced options over the years.

Registered
Have you considered the Speedmaster 38mm? (not sure if you're only considering dive watches)

They have a very good variety of color combinations, chronometer certification (but not METAS), 100m WR. I don't know the L2L, but I have a 7.25" wrist and I found it to wear too small.

Registered
I forgot to take photos of trying them at my local AD. The real problem is my wrist's width. This is important than anything else when choosing the right watch for me, and I have a 50mm wrist width. SMP300 doesnt work. But PO 8900 barely works. 39.5 PO works flawlessly. For me, the best I can go is 48mm. I tried my friend's submariner which has 48mm L2L and it works best on my wrist IME. And I also tried Seiko SBBN031 and it worked great too! I really like SMP but hope they shrink their L2L to 48mm or shorter.
Are you aware that Omegas made mid size Seamasters? Should be easy to find one, possibly in mint condition, if you do a search. Omega Seamaster Midsize Search for a wristwatch

Registered
I forgot to take photos of trying them at my local AD. The real problem is my wrist's width. This is important than anything else when choosing the right watch for me, and I have a 50mm wrist width. SMP300 doesnt work. But PO 8900 barely works. 39.5 PO works flawlessly. For me, the best I can go is 48mm. I tried my friend's submariner which has 48mm L2L and it works best on my wrist IME. And I also tried Seiko SBBN031 and it worked great too! I really like SMP but hope they shrink their L2L to 48mm or shorter.
The SMP300 and the Submariner actually wear exactly the same. The lugs and case of the sub are very accentuated because of their straight design and the bracelet endlinks flare out well above 50mm. The twisted lugs of the Omega look shorter and with the female endlinks the bracelet doesn't extend beyond 50mm.

Registered
I doubt we鈥檒l see Omega go a lot smaller anytime soon. They鈥檇 need to develop a new in-house Master Chronometer movement. And it would probably have to not be a co-axial, requiring them to admit that it鈥檚 not necessary.

Premium Member
I doubt we鈥檒l see Omega go a lot smaller anytime soon. They鈥檇 need to develop a new in-house Master Chronometer movement. And it would probably have to not be a co-axial, requiring them to admit that it鈥檚 not necessary.
Co-axial doesnt mean the movement has to be thicker.

Registered
The SMP300 and the Submariner actually wear exactly the same. The lugs and case of the sub are very accentuated because of their straight design and the bracelet endlinks flare out well above 50mm. The twisted lugs of the Omega look shorter and with the female endlinks the bracelet doesn't extend beyond 50mm.
It's not the same. In theory it should be considered the end to end link distance as well as the lug to lug distance. So, numbers are one thing and perception another. But you have to consider that not everybody use the watch with the bracelet.

Omega should correct the size of those lugs in the next iteration.

Registered
There is a lot of options across different brands. Rolex seems to be moving your way. Even Panerai wants to capture more of the Asian market with 40mm.

Registered
Hey, I'm all for you guys who want smaller watches getting what you want. But don't fool yourself into thinking that's what everyone wants. The SMP is a great size for me just as it is, and millions of other customers apparently agree. My wish-list also includes adding a PO, so I tried on a couple at an AD. Checked out the 39.5mm just to be sure and looked silly on me. 43.5mm was perfect.

On the flip side there are some brands I want to like (such as Lorier and Dan Henry just to name two). But their offerings tend to be in smaller sizes than I would be comfortable with. I wish they'd make watches up-sized to be more in my wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean I think they should stop catering to those of you who like smaller sizes to do so.

IOW, trying to wish away successful watches that so many other people like just because you don't is an exercise in futility. Perhaps Omega would be wise to offer a midsize SMP once again. But expecting them to fundamentally change the current model merely creates the same problem in the other direction.

Premium Member
Hey, I'm all for you guys who want smaller watches getting what you want. But don't fool yourself into thinking that's what everyone wants. The SMP is a great size for me just as it is, and millions of other customers apparently agree. My wish-list also includes adding a PO, so I tried on a couple at an AD. Checked out the 39.5mm just to be sure and looked silly on me. 43.5mm was perfect.

On the flip side there are some brands I want to like (such as Lorier and Dan Henry just to name two). But their offerings tend to be in smaller sizes than I would be comfortable with. I wish they'd make watches up-sized to be more in my wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean I think they should stop catering to those of you who like smaller sizes to do so.

IOW, trying to wish away successful watches that so many other people like just because you don't is an exercise in futility. Perhaps Omega would be wise to offer a midsize SMP once again. But expecting them to fundamentally change the current model merely creates the same problem in the other direction.
I'm asian like the OP but blessed with 7" wrists. So I agree 100%
I love my 45.5mm PO and other large watches, but it would be nice if Omega expanded its lineup to include more sizes.

Premium Member
I sort of agree. They've gotten too large for my tastes, too. A lot of people do like them at this size and that's fine for them. Simply, I won't consider anything larger than these two pictured below. This is as large as I need a watch. I can say honestly that there is no larger watch that tempts me, even a little. Probably, my demographic is no longer their target. But as I am completely satisfied I'm not looking either.
However, change is assured. They will get smaller if they don't get bigger. Given the current trend I would be surprised if Omega isn't working on smaller models. Certainly, they would want to capitalize upon any trends or developments. They didn't survive this long by being deaf to the marketplace.
Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Font

Registered
I would get the SMP in a heartbeat if the lug to lug distance is shaved down to 47mm or so. I have ~6.5 inch wrists and hate the lug overhang and limit myself to 47mm or so lug to lug. So the new iteration of SMP is out for me. I really don't mind the case diameter increase but the l2l of 50mm?? That's a real killer.

The older 41mm case size with 47mm L2L was a good "once size fits most" formula.

Omega really needs a 39 or 40mm SMP along with the 42mm going by the success of BB58.

Registered
probably wouldn't happen but that would be amazing imo, could get the thickness down to 12-13mm then and throw in a bracelet/clasp update and I'm in
agreed. clasp needs to be more flush to the bracelet. Thickness can be reduced similar to the original automatic Seamaster. That would make it more wearable

Registered
I would get the SMP in a heartbeat if the lug to lug distance is shaved down to 47mm or so. I have ~6.5 inch wrists and hate the lug overhang and limit myself to 47mm or so lug to lug. So the new iteration of SMP is out for me. I really don't mind the case diameter increase but the l2l of 50mm?? That's a real killer.

The older 41mm case size with 47mm L2L was a good "once size fits most" formula.

Omega really needs a 39 or 40mm SMP along with the 42mm going by the success of BB58.
exactly why I sold my 2020 blue SMP. Loved it but couldn鈥檛 deal with the 50mm L2L. Bought a 2531.80 which is perfect for my 6.9鈥 wrist.

I do miss the 2020 SMP and recently started trying them on again but they are just too big

61 - 80 of 81 Posts