WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this watch and the green sunburst dial is crazy good. If I get just one Seiko I want it to be this one.

1. Among seikos, how is this watch regarded? A good value?

B. Is there any glaring or known problem with this watch? etc

III. what other tasteful green-themed watches are there, seiko or nonseiko, in the same price range?​

I think non automatic mechanical will keep my collection really diverse. It's a smaller size than my other watches too. It's like $370. I can get like $600 for one of my kidneys. Should I do it? :think:

Reactions: jbg7474

Premium Member
Something ordinary
Your kidney is not worth a watch. If you want to sacrifice an organ make it a long term process. Focus on your liver with quality scotch and vodka.

Registered
The stock strap is notoriously poor, and the inner bezel is apparently a little loose. Other than that, I don't think I've heard anything but praise about it.

Registered
1. Among seikos, how is this watch regarded? A good value?

B. Is there any glaring or known problem with this watch? etc

III. what other tasteful green-themed watches are there, seiko or nonseiko, in the same price range?
1. Yes it is very well regarded. It comes from the SARB line, well regarded for beautiful design and accuracy of the 6R15 calibre. The SARB017 Alpinist is also one of the last SARBs that are still in production, because it has been successful in courting the tastes of Seiko lovers. This Alpinist model has been in production since 2006 - that's 9 years now. Some Seiko movements don't even last 9 years in production and here you have a watch that has been produced for that long. Suffice to say, good value is an understatement.

B. This watch lacks a good stock strap. People complain that the leather is stiff and plasticky. I think you can wear the leather in and it feels good after it has been seasoned. Otherwise there are plenty of great straps available which you can fit onto the watch. Brown leather really brings out the green of the Alpinist dial imho, much more than any other material. Regarding bracelets, the OEM bracelet is expensive at $150. An aftermarket bracelet which fits perfectly is not the easiest thing to acquire.

III. There is no equal. >:)

Premium Member
The only reason I have not got an 017 is that the 065 is higher up my list but if you want a green Seiko that's the way to go. In fact if you want a grenn watch full stop it's up there with the best of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nonseiko? I don't understand :think:

View attachment 2552322
This is amazing. Could you follow me around photoshopping the various watches I become interested in? That would be amazing... like a guardian photoshopper...

This watch will be my go-to st patricks day piece. What does the compass ring do? Spin around? IDK how I would use it

Reactions: Domo

Registered
since you are asking.. to me the green/gold 017 is the least attractive of that line, the 005 is the one I like the most, even the black (007) looks nicer than the green/gold to me.
Both, cream and black are a little bigger as well..40mm, 017 38mm.
The one plus of the 017 is that is 20bars.
But again, you are buying the watch, not us! ;)

sarg005

sarg007

Sarb017

Banned
For the price the only thing comparable is a Hamilton Khaki Field. Overall the Alpinist has much better finishing but the Khaki Field is a rugged cool watch in its own right. It's a toss up to me you can't go wrong with either watch, I sold mine recently simply because I never wore it, I always went for my MM300.

What does the compass ring do? Spin around? IDK how I would use it

By rotating the internal bezel to a certain point depending on which hemisphere you're in, and pointing the hour hand at the sun you can tell the direction so it does actually work pretty well in a pinch and have a purpose.

Registered
I've been collecting watches for 10 years, moved up the ladder to higher end Seikos and top tier Swiss brands, bought, sold and traded my way through my collection over and over again... but the SARB017 has been the main watch of my regular rotation since the day I received it (in 2010). There is no other watch quite like it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been collecting watches for 10 years, moved up the ladder to higher end Seikos and top tier Swiss brands, bought, sold and traded my way through my collection over and over again... but the SARB017 has been the main watch of my regular rotation since the day I received it (in 2010). There is no other watch quite like it.
I knew I should get a sarb17 alpinist. I knew it.

Registered
III. what other tasteful green-themed watches are there, seiko or nonseiko, in the same price range?
SNAF09? SRP409? SRP145? SSA055? Erm...SRP349?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SNAF09? SRP409? SRP145? SSA055? Erm...SRP349?
I had no idea. What about SKA533? Do you know if any of these shades are the same green as on the alpinist?

Registered
Ive owned two

They both kept excellent time. The build quality, finish and appearance was tip top. Very impressive.

As stated above the strap supplied is awful. With a little patience its possible to source a SO or similar bracelet with end links that fit but a nice brown strap really goes well in my opinion.

The negatives for me were the date window which you need really good eyesight to see (I am prejudiced against date windows though!) and the inner bezel which turned far too easily so would be knocked out of alignment by the merest touch - which upset my OCD. Both points are probably of minor significance to most though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
which upset my OCD. Both points are probably of minor significance to most though.
The bezel thing is kind of discouraging

1 - 20 of 38 Posts