WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I want tell you my fantastic 2012:

Earlier the previous year I get an interesting proposal, which of course welcome, but once I received the item the interest turns into enthusiasm !!
Let's talk about this:

Hamilton King Crono 2.jpg

Hamilton King Crono.jpg

Really a great watch !

Then I look for a piece that I dream for a long time and to get it I decided to give my Carlos Coste:

Oris_Coste.jpg

During the research I find another piece beloved by many of you and I was fascinated until the inevitable purchase:

PORTOGHESE_2.jpg

But the IWC proves to be a disappointment to my wrist and love fades after just a little over a month.
I sold ​​it (I confess without difficulty) and get back to search.

Meanwhile, in April I temporized and I console myself with another piece that I've always liked and that really turns out to be a big surprise:

OBM_3.jpg

Finally in June I find the watch for me has always been, and it still is, the top of my list of timepieces:

THM_5.jpg

THM_1.jpg

Extraordinary watch .... every time I wear it I feel a mixture of pride, enthusiasm and ... fear: I'm afraid to give him the smallest scratch :-D

After only a couple of weeks a friend is selling another of my long shot, moreover new and at an attractive price, and so.......

LHC_1.jpg

LHC_2.jpg

I want to reiterate that this piece deserves all the praise that you make: it is versatile, elegant and with excellent finishing.
Now it's the watch I wear more.

Maybe I decide to take two months off.
Arrived in September I remove a whim unpretentious:

***mod edit***

Overall I have to say that the watch amuses me, even if I wear it not so often.

Finally, just when the year seemed to be over, I was lucky enough to come across one of the most successful pieces of one of my favorite house.
And to think that only a few months before I had gotten rid of another Oris...

Oris_CronOris.JPG

This is the only photo borrowed from the net because now the watch is to make a good review and likely polishing.
The price was very much in favor, but it was not guarded as it deserved :-D

I know I should do all the presentations of the case during the year but, one of my personal limit, I'm not quite "self-celebrative".

To reduce the risk of boring I kept to the minimum the number of photos uploaded, because they are also pieces that many of you know by heart.

Any comments and / or suggestions are welcome ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's a lot of watch activity for one year, amigo!

Good luck in 2013. ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sold the IWC Portuguese Chronograph?

Sir you offend me! Pistols at dawn!
Aesthetically beautiful, technically poor.

I bought it for its beauty but on my wrist I'm tired soon.

The watches must emotions as well as telling the time ;-)

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
Wow you really cleaned up this year! I also scored a Monaco this year. I went for the Calibre 12 version, but I can't get a decent pic to save my life. I may take a break from all the home improvement projects this weekend and try again.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Aesthetically beautiful, technically poor.
Not trying to sidetrack your thread. If you tired of it then you tired of it. However the IWC Portuguese Chronograph is not a technically poor watch. Yes it has a modified ETA Valjoux 7750 movement (which some are snobby about) but there is no arguing it is a hard working, accurate and reliable movement.

PS - Love the Panerai in your collection.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nice Monaco!

what did you not like about your IWC? not comfortable on your wrist? Not sure what you mean by 'technically poor'? Just curious what exactly you mean.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
beautiful watch collection and congratulation:-!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not trying to sidetrack your thread. If you tired of it then you tired of it. However the IWC Portuguese Chronograph is not a technically poor watch. Yes it has a modified ETA Valjoux 7750 movement (which some are snobby about) but there is no arguing it is a hard working, accurate and reliable movement.

PS - Love the Panerai in your collection.

Regards,
The first watch, Hamilton King Crono, is equipped with a Valjoux 7750.
Price (brand new) about 800/900 euro.

The IWC Portuguese is equipped with the same movement (ok, modified: the date has been removed).
Price (brand new) about 5000 euro.

Now surely the Valioux 7750 is a very good movement, accurate and reliable, but for 5000 euro I demand a lot more (for example a tag 1887 or a spring drive).
So I think I can say that, in relation to the price, the Portuguese is technically poor.

The beauty is not discussed, but once I saw it on the wrist I felt able to invest that money in a better way.
In my opinion the Monaco is another world.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love that Hydroconquest. It's just different enough not to look like a sub homage.
Yesss, for me it's totally different and really a great watch.

@Perseus: I wait your photos ;-)

@tiger roach and @georges: Thanks !!!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
The first watch, Hamilton King Crono, is equipped with a Valjoux 7750.
Price (brand new) about 800/900 euro.

The IWC Portuguese is equipped with the same movement (ok, modified: the date has been removed).
Price (brand new) about 5000 euro.

Now surely the Valioux 7750 is a very good movement, accurate and reliable, but for 5000 euro I demand a lot more (for example a tag 1887 or a spring drive).
So I think I can say that, in relation to the price, the Portuguese is technically poor.
Fair enough. Anything that cost more than a 1,000 Hamilton which has a modified 7750 as its innards is poor value in your opinion? That's a viewpoint.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fair enough. Anything that cost more than a 1,000 Hamilton which has a modified 7750 as its innards is poor value in your opinion? That's a viewpoint.
Exactly.
For me it was not a good value for money.

With that money I think a good purchase can be an Omega cal. 8500 or a VC.

But I want say more also about the design: around 1960 some watches was designed by Max Bill for Junghans.
It's impossible to say that the Max Bill of 1962 looks like the Portuguese in the early forties, but the things get complicated from this point of view when in the mid-nineties the IWC presented a chrono very similar at MB 1962. Chrono, however, that it was no longer in production for thirty years.

More recently Junghans has recovered the original drawings of MB's watches with this result:

confronto.jpg

The similarity between the two watches are a lots (neatness, size, dial, hands) but the glass in the curved plexiglass Junghans probably introduces a significant difference between the two that you do not notice in the picture.
Then all have Valjoux 7750 calling it in another way (and selling it about 1000, or 5000...)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Congrats on an amazing year. You win some and let some go - 'tis the way it goes.
That Monaco is fabulous.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
But I want say more also about the design: around 1960 some watches was designed by Max Bill for Junghans.
It's impossible to say that the Max Bill of 1962 looks like the Portuguese in the early forties, but the things get complicated from this point of view when in the mid-nineties the IWC presented a chrono very similar at MB 1962. Chrono, however, that it was no longer in production for thirty years.

More recently Junghans has recovered the original drawings of MB's watches with this result:

View attachment 927911

The similarity between the two watches are a lots (neatness, size, dial, hands) but the glass in the curved plexiglass Junghans probably introduces a significant difference between the two that you do not notice in the picture.
Then all have Valjoux 7750 calling it in another way (and selling it about 1000, or 5000...)
I'm sorry to sidetrack your post (genuinely).

You are using these two watches to justify your point the IWC is poor technically and now as a design? You think these watches are very similar and that IWC copied Junghans and as a result must be discredited?

If you use this rationale then you had better sense check all the watch purchases you make, as in a lot of cases I can think of, I will show comparable vintage designs to popular designs of today. There's only so many ways you can fit dials and sub dials on a watch face!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That was one amazing year! I'd be tickled to have a year like that. There are some awesome acquisitions there, congrats! I'd settle for one of your better pieces for 2013!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sorry to sidetrack your post (genuinely).

You are using these two watches to justify your point the IWC is poor technically and now as a design? You think these watches are very similar and that IWC copied Junghans and as a result must be discredited?

If you use this rationale then you had better sense check all the watch purchases you make, as in a lot of cases I can think of, I will show comparable vintage designs to popular designs of today. There's only so many ways you can fit dials and sub dials on a watch face!
I never said that someone has copied, I say that IWC has probably exploited a design not in use for 30 years and Junghans took advantage of the success achieved by IWC to propose a design that was, and is, his.

Poverty technique, as I wrote, is due to the fact that you spend 5000 euro for a movement that is worth 50.

So if a watch equipped with a 7750 can be sell at 5000, how much should cost a Grand Seiko ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts