WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is super suspicious because I'm a 1st time poster, but please hear me out!!!
Hello to whomever can help and/or voice an opinion, my name is Cesar. I ordered an Orient Voyager (ion black) on May 15th via DutyFreeIsland's eBay store. A beautiful watch; after owning it for several days I noticed something odd: the rotating slide rule could not function (rotate) if I had the watch face downwards or at a 90 degree angle. I own another Orient watch (World Time 2EM0H007) that has a rotating slide rule that functions regardless of its position, which I believe should be the case for any high quality watch. I sent the watch back to DutyFreeIslandShop due to the defective rotating slide rule. They told me:

"Dear Buyer,

Kindly note that we received the watch back.

Upon checking similar models with the same function (inner rotating slide rule) it seems that the slide rule does not rotate in a certain angle, when the watch is upside down or in a 90 degree angle.

After contacting Orient Service Center, we were informed that this is protection for the mechanism/movement to prevent any damage due to wrong handling and operation.

Please let us know if you would like for us to ship the item back to you.

Kind Regards,
DFI"

-fair enough. I called and emailed Orient Watch USA several times... their lack of customer service is disappointing, especially since they produce such awesome time pieces. Searching through their website I came upon the contact information for Puri-Time, inc, which is "the Official US Distributor of Orient watches".
Customer Service | Orient Watch USA
I called their number and got in contact with one of their representatives, which informed me (Orient Voyager in his hand at the time of speaking with him) that the Voyager's rotating slide rule should function regardless of its position, telling me over the phone that he was able to do so with the watch in his hand, and that it's rotation would not damage the watch in any way due to wrong handling or operation. I called him later again so that he can email me a message and send me a video of this so that I may prove to DutyFreeIslandShop that they sent me a defective watch. I believe I was lied to by a staff member at DutyFreeIslandShop and I am building a case to prove that.
I have proof of both of my recordings with the man in question at Puri-Time, inc and will post them if needed. I will also post any other information that the Pur-Time representative gives me (and anything else that I can provide) to show that I'm not "some competitor" trying to smear DutyFreeeIslandShop. I am an eBay buyer and watch enthusiast that you don't want to wrong.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello Sinus,

We are extremely sorry about the problems you experienced with your Orient Voyager (Ion Black). We have just shot a little video demonstrating the the same is true with all the Voyager Ion Black we have in our Inventory and will send you the link via email shortly.

The issue is that the inner bezel is not completely attached to the dial, hence it is not designed to be rotated when the watch is not being worn on your wrist (as gravity probably creates a space between the dial and the inner bezel). You will notice that it inner bezel is only about 40% functional at 90 degrees and 20% Functional when facing down. Hence together with Orients advice we do not recommend turning the inner bezel in any other position than dial facing up.

Having said this, we also checked the Silver Voyager DH01002B (And demonstrated this in the video too) where the issue is much less prominent. It functions about 80% at 90 Degrees and 70% When facing down.

Satisfying our customers is extremely important to us and the DutyFreeIsland full money back guarantee + refund of return shipping to us still holds. Alternatively We can ship you a brand new black voyager, but the inner bezel will act in the same way unfortunately. Please let us know which option you prefer.

Kind Regards & Sorry if our initial reply by email was not satisfactory,
DFI

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've just checked both the DH01002B and DH01002W and both function just fine at 90 degrees or upside down. I've tried 5 different watches and couldn't really replicate the issue described, certainly not in a way that would be bothersome to the owner.
Your best bet would be to check with Orient Japan (ORIENT [ORIENT WATCH CO.,LTD] Product). Honestly not an issue I've ever heard about before.

Just to be sure this concerns the internal bezel operated by the crown at 4 o'clock, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just checked both the DH01002B and DH01002W and both function just fine at 90 degrees or upside down. I've tried 5 different watches and couldn't really replicate the issue described, certainly not in a way that would be bothersome to the owner.
Your best bet would be to check with Orient Japan (ORIENT [ORIENT WATCH CO.,LTD] Product). Honestly not an issue I've ever heard about before.

Just to be sure this concerns the internal bezel operated by the crown at 4 o'clock, right?
Correct AutomaticWatch, by the crown at 4 o'clock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t43UyF0_rLQ
I have a strong feeling that maybe DFI received a bad batch of the ion plated Voyager models.
I have emailed orient-watch.com with no reply back. I have also emailed and called orientwatchusa.com with no luck as well. Through OrientWatchUSA I came upon Puri-Time, inc. which is their only official US distributor of Orient; they also officially service Orient watches.

DutyFreeIsland - thank you for responding back and offering me the option to refund my purchase. I know that the Orient Voyager, regardless of color, should have a functioning rotating slide rule regardless of watch position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DutyFreeIsland: Thank you very much for fulfilling the full refund (I received it today via PayPal).

-This evening I got an email from Adrian Anaya from OrientWatchUSA, whom said:

"Thank you for your call. This email is to confirm that FDH0100 lines slide rule works even when the watch dial is facing down. The slide rule function is a casing component the movement plays no part in its operation.

Best Regards,

Adrian"

DutyFreeIsland: if possible, please send your inventory of ion plated (black) Voyagers back to Orient Watch so they may be fixed or so you can be reimbursed in some way; as it stands, your inventory of ion black Voyagers' slide rules are defective, as you have stated in your email to me:

"Here goes the link of the video demonstrating that the same is true with all the Voyager Ion Black we have in our Inventory, as mentioned in the watchuseek post"

Please do this as soon as you can. You are a good seller, you gave me a full refund (and didn't charge me to ship back to you), and I know that you do not want to be selling defective watches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts