WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Or so we say.

In this hobby, some of us can TRULY hold on to pieces long enough to hand them off to the next generation. However, there is a big majority of us as well who *think* that we will be keeping a certain piece when we are still in the honeymoon phase, and then before you know it - just a mere few days, weeks, or months later, you flip it to get a new watch to cure the itch (some people are obviously worse than others lol). :-d

Who's guilty and what makes you say or think that a watch is finally a "keeper"?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I expect every watch that I buy to be a keeper, but only time will tell the full story.
Don't we all? Oh the amount of money we would all save if we 'knew' right away which ones are truly keepers.

But, I guess the chase is a part of what's addicting about this hobby b-)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The honeymoon phase can definitely cloud one's judgement on occasion.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The ones I got are staying.....likely to be joined by a few new ones over the years. I have flipped in the past but only due to the fact that I really didnt know what I wanted or liked. I know now. If I were to bet on what my collection will look like in 15 years, I would confidently say it will consist of the same team plus a submariner and/or a GO PML. I would be 1 million percent satisfied with that collection.

·
Premium Member
14,783 Posts
One of the biggest risks with buying online vs. walking into an AD and trying them on, getting a feel for them, etc....is that they may not look/wear nearly as well as one had envisioned. I think this plays a big role in it.

I have watches that I have not considered moving since I acquired them, and I genuinely foresee them being around for the long haul. I have others that I bought because I like, but I would sell or trade for the right opportunity. There are also a couple that will likely turn into 7500 and 10K post giveaway at some point lol

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
... Or so we say.

In this hobby, some of us can TRULY hold on to pieces long enough to hand them off to the next generation. However, there is a big majority of us as well who *think* that we will be keeping a certain piece when we are still in the honeymoon phase, and then before you know it - just a mere few days, weeks, or months later, you flip it to get a new watch to cure the itch (some people are obviously worse than others lol). :-d

Who's guilty and what makes you say or think that a watch is finally a "keeper"?
Guilty of what? Keeping the watches we buy or not doing so?

I'm certainly "guilty" of thinking that every watch I buy is a keeper. I think that because, so far, aside from letting my kids wear them occasionally, I've kept them all, including the ones of which I'm not particularly fond. Even the ones my kids use, I somewhat expect to have them returned to me eventually; however, I won't make a point of insisting they return them so long as I'm aware they've not lost or destroyed them. (LOL -- I absolutely expect them to respect the fact that they are nonetheless my watches and not theirs.)

All the best.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure I'll keep any of my watches for my kids besides my speedy, and that's only because I was wearing it while they were born and I have pics in the hospital wearing it holding them which I think would be cool to show them someday when I pass it on. Otherwise, everything else at go on the chopping block someday

1 - 11 of 11 Posts