WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am officially over watches for a bit. Or at least I will not be making any additions for a while. I am selling off any watch I don't wear regularly.

I am keeping:
Stowa Prodiver in black
Seiko Golden Tuna
Seiko Monster in Black (keep for now unless I add something)
Some Black G-shock I use it for work

I got to the point where I wear my Stowa Prodiver for dress and my golden tuna is my party down watch and those wear the only two I end up wearing so I'm getting rid of the rest.

I would like to add a coloured faced watch to the mix but I have really seen anything up my alley. The Teal/pink Stowa gets me but I don't want to repeat in my stable. I am also partial to the blue Sumo. (Also if Tista's Eagle Star squale cased pvd came up for sale I would try and buy ;))

I still like to look at watches and find them interesting but I can't bring myself to buy one, has this happened to anyone else? What happened? What purchase broke the ice again for you?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I never (or should I say haven't) got tired of watches. I'm also at the point in my collection where my tastes are becoming more expensive = less watches to purchase. After one or two more this year (either a 2254 OR speedie and the laguna) I'll be even happier with it. I think it often comes down to this: are you tired of watches or are you "satisfied" with your state of the collection?

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Dunno dude, doesnt really sound like you're over them at all.
I'm with Ozy. It sounds like your tastes are evolving but you're still addicted. Sorry....

And is it just me, or does anyone else sense the parallels with guys they know (or possibly even themselves) who, with hearts broken, foreswear any dealings with the opposite sex, using language eerily similar to the OP's? ;-)

Rob

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I've had several spells where I got interested in other hobbies (vintage leather jackets, shoes, cycling, running, premium denim, writing) and wore only one watch for like 9 months. Spent all that internet time on the forums for other hobbies. So I'd say 9 months is my longest away since 1998....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Never got tired of buying watches. In fact I currently have a policy to only buy another if I sell something. Makes you look a lot harder before selling something. I do believe in keeping the collection down to what you actually wear. I do not like box queens. I am struggling to get my collection down a little now but it gets harder as the collection gets smaller.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I run through spells where nothing interests me. On other occasions I'll be interested in a watch, but will cool off on it before I buy...only to be re-enthused several months later which typically results in a purchase. For me though, it's never solely about the watch, but rather the activity that surrounds the watch. I dive, so I never tire of the dive watches in my collection. I like to hunt, ski, shoot, camp, canoe; so a good field watch might catch my interest. Last Summer I started sailing, and now I've discovered regatta timers and other watches that revolve around sailing.

Since you like dive watches, go learn to dive if you don't already know how. If you do know how, take a dive trip and put what you have to good use. My thought: If you make the hobby more about the activities involving watches, instead of just the watch itself, you'll get more enjoyment and mileage out of it.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
And is it just me, or does anyone else sense the parallels with guys they know (or possibly even themselves) who, with hearts broken, foreswear any dealings with the opposite sex, using language eerily similar to the OP's? ;-)

Rob
Scarily so,.

Also, whilst I understand the profound nature of people declaring they 'get rid of their collection' lets put it in perspective.

you have according to your signature,

Wayne Gretzky Digital watch
G-shock 7710
Seiko Black Monster
NFW Vector (kind of a PAM homage)
Stowa Prodiver Black
Seiko 7549-7009 Golden Tuna 600m
You are 'getting rid of'
Seiko Black Monster
NFW Vector (kind of a PAM homage)
Wayne Gretzky Digital watch
And in the same breath, express a keen interest on purchasing

The Teal/pink Stowa gets me but I don't want to repeat in my stable. I am also partial to the blue Sumo. (Also if Tista's Eagle Star squale cased pvd came up for sale I would try and buy ;))
So, effectivley - you're in a net / net position.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Interesting thread OP.
I too have hit a "dry spell". Actually, I was thinking about posting about grail seeking tonight, but it relates to this topic so I will try to throw it in and not hijack! :)
First, I totally hear you. I feel that I became "saturated" with watch information, seeking and researching. And truth be told, it was eating into time that I need for other pursuits. Now I completely enjoyed all of that time, but when I really put it into perspective, it became a bit much. I have many other interests, including kiteboarding, business, investing, (yawn away) the history of medicine, and fitness in general. I also have a career and family and on and on... I have noticed that I still love watches, but I have lost interest in purchasing another watch magazine, or spending an inordinate amount of time online; I know my fav's and am becoming contented with what I own. So I don't think you are lying, or misleading anyone with this post. Naturally being a WIS (at some point or another) you will have >1 watch. The OP is on WUS everyone, right? But perhaps you have become focused on other things, or maybe even gone overboard with one focus, which made for a kind of myopic state of affairs; perhaps a break from watches will reinvigorate your interest, or perhaps it will continue to wane.
I also cannot bring myself to by another right now. I have a SBBN015 Tuna, a fun (and very accurate!) skx007, a restored 6309-7040 and a SBBN013 on the way (as a gift from my wife). And lately I had begun wondering why I didn't want to purchase the Rolex that I had wanted since I was a kid. I could now afford it (finally!) and it would have been great in conjunction with a milestone in my life, but I felt very detached from the whole idea. And I guess that is what I am getting at- I can afford to by them, and yet right now am at a place where they no longer take centre stage (for me). If I could have heard this from myself a year ago I would have laughed in disbelief; my search was insatiable. But times, interests and passions ebb and flow and this is very natural. I have a few great watches, lots of natos and bands, and am pretty damn happy with it. But unless something really changes (or I can suddenly afford a crazy timepiece like a MB&F) most of them seem like a very slight variation on the same thing.
So don't stress my friend and let this all rest for a bit. You've established it as an interest and it will most likely always be one.
Be thankful for what you have and wear it all in the best of health!
Aaron

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I've come to the same conclusion recently. Most of the reason is that I've been buying and selling so often over the last year or two that I've basically owned everything I've wanted and could reasonably afford. Easily 100+ watches, probably closer to 150. The new watch thrill becomes less and less compelling after so many deals....really, near the end I was getting more satisfaction from playing the market and making a little profit or collecting the boxes than I was actually owning the watches.

At this point I basically cashed out and have a PAM homage I built and love, an Anonimo Militare that I always wanted from day 1, and the grad gift TAG that I'll never sell. I'd say that will be about it for a while.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Interesting thread OP.
I too have hit a "dry spell". Actually, I was thinking about posting about grail seeking tonight, but it relates to this topic so I will try to throw it in and not hijack! :)
First, I totally hear you. I feel that I became "saturated" with watch information, seeking and researching. And truth be told, it was eating into time that I need for other pursuits. Now I completely enjoyed all of that time, but when I really put it into perspective, it became a bit much. I have many other interests, including kiteboarding, business, investing, (yawn away) the history of medicine, and fitness in general. I also have a career and family and on and on... I have noticed that I still love watches, but I have lost interest in purchasing another watch magazine, or spending an inordinate amount of time online; I know my fav's and am becoming contented with what I own. So I don't think you are lying, or misleading anyone with this post. Naturally being a WIS (at some point or another) you will have >1 watch. The OP is on WUS everyone, right? But perhaps you have become focused on other things, or maybe even gone overboard with one focus, which made for a kind of myopic state of affairs; perhaps a break from watches will reinvigorate your interest, or perhaps it will continue to wane.
I also cannot bring myself to by another right now. I have a SBBN015 Tuna, a fun (and very accurate!) skx007, a restored 6309-7040 and a SBBN013 on the way (as a gift from my wife). And lately I had begun wondering why I didn't want to purchase the Rolex that I had wanted since I was a kid. I could now afford it (finally!) and it would have been great in conjunction with a milestone in my life, but I felt very detached from the whole idea. And I guess that is what I am getting at- I can afford to by them, and yet right now am at a place where they no longer take centre stage (for me). If I could have heard this from myself a year ago I would have laughed in disbelief; my search was insatiable. But times, interests and passions ebb and flow and this is very natural. I have a few great watches, lots of natos and bands, and am pretty damn happy with it. But unless something really changes (or I can suddenly afford a crazy timepiece like a MB&F) most of them seem like a very slight variation on the same thing.
So don't stress my friend and let this all rest for a bit. You've established it as an interest and it will most likely always be one.
Be thankful for what you have and wear it all in the best of health!
Aaron
This is really a great thread. To follow the parallel I posited earlier, here is a case where there is something you really, really want, from your earliest years. Then, when you realize you can have it, it loses its appeal. (Does anyone remember Kevin Nealon's great movie review: "Interested. Interested. Very interested. Very, very interested. Then not interested.")

Seriously, what Aaron has skillfully pointed out is that being a WIS is all about passion. It really does not matter what the object of our passion might be: a love interest, sailing, fast cars, watches, food, working out, movies, etc. Except in the very complex area of interpersonal relationships (and, actually, often in that area as well), we tend to "cool" on that passion after a while. Sometimes we completely lose interest. Other times, as Aaron points out, we kinda come back around to it, but not with the exact same intensity. And, occasionally, we rediscover that passion and it burns as bright as before.

Because we have the capacity to hold a lot of intense interests at one time, it is natural that we might flit (bee-like, if you will) from interest to interest - if a "flit" can be anywhere from a few seconds to a few years. My guess is that, as Aaron has suggested, the OP has not lost interest in his watch collection, just his passion for his watch collection. Something else in his life is becoming (or already is) the focus of that passion.

So if we were to look at our intense interest in watches the same way we might look at our intimate relationships, for example, we might discover that - in a successful, long-term situation - our interest fluctuates but our commitment remains. If that is the case, the OP will always cherish the >1 nature of his collection, even if he isn't feeling the passion right now.

Perhaps some of you are shaking your heads and dismissing these parallels, but I'm telling you they're there. In fact, on this very night, someone posted a paean to his first anniversary with his JSAR on the DWF, acquired only a year ago. It was, I thought, quite lovely ... and very touching. Most of us are where that "romantic" JSAR owner is - truly committed to our collections. And, as we evolve, that collection evolves. And, if we're lucky, we grow old together.

Is that great, or what?

Rob

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think I am officially over watches for a bit. Or at least I will not be making any additions for a while. I am selling off any watch I don't wear regularly.

I am keeping:
Stowa Prodiver in black
Seiko Golden Tuna
Seiko Monster in Black (keep for now unless I add something)
Some Black G-shock I use it for work

I got to the point where I wear my Stowa Prodiver for dress and my golden tuna is my party down watch and those wear the only two I end up wearing so I'm getting rid of the rest.

I would like to add a coloured faced watch to the mix but I have really seen anything up my alley. The Teal/pink Stowa gets me but I don't want to repeat in my stable. I am also partial to the blue Sumo. (Also if Tista's Eagle Star squale cased pvd came up for sale I would try and buy ;))

I still like to look at watches and find them interesting but I can't bring myself to buy one, has this happened to anyone else? What happened? What purchase broke the ice again for you?
This is awful.

I hope you get well soon! :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah I've thought that - never proclaimed it - but have remained addicted for 20 years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had several spells where I got interested in other hobbies (vintage leather jackets, shoes, cycling, running, premium denim, writing) and wore only one watch for like 9 months. Spent all that internet time on the forums for other hobbies. So I'd say 9 months is my longest away since 1998....
Same here. Currently perusing threads on denim and red wings, although I'm pretty sure that'll be shortlived - don't see myself obsessing over patina'd leather and wear-and-tear folds the same way I set watch images as my desktop.

A combination of Ennebi and 2011 SIHH's pam 372 did me in. I'm patiently saving up for the 372 now, though taking more than a few hits on denim splurges.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely over this whole watch thing and as soon as I get the last 87 watches on my list that's like.....that's it. It's over. Definitely. :-d;-)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I definately go thru trading phases and holding phases - I went for 3 years once were I was content with my watches and didn't one trade. Followed that up by a couple years were I flipped close to 10 watches.

I'm currently pretty content with my current collection - fairly small, but high quality, unique watches (sounds like you are there too). Enjoy, it probably won't last!

·
Registered
773 Posts
you're here, you're not over watches, get used to it

Not over, as I'm always keeping an eye on what's new, & holding out hope of finding an upgrade (or at least not less than a lateral move in any respect).

The hurdle is not the point of limiting returns, as like the rest of you I have no problem paying significantly more money for only marginal increases in personal value. THough if there is even a smidge of a downgrade in any design attribute, spec, or feature vs. what is currently on my wrist, I'll not be paying any more for any less. & am monogamous when it comes to edc's in general. Not a collector, not a rotator.

Meanwhile, no one can claim they're "over" watches, so long as watches are taking up space in their head <looks sternly at o.p.>!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.