WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been eyeing the Longines Heritage Column Wheel chrono for a while and am thinking of finally pulling the trigger in the next couple months. Before I do, I want to make sure I haven't missed out on any other options. There are a few other pieces I've looked at that are close to the look I want: B&M Capeland, 1887 Tag, Stowa 1938. Unfortunately they are all too large and/or thick. I'm planning on using this one for daily work wear.

Is there anything else that fits the criteria below?

budget of ~3000 USD but can be stretched a bit
39-40mm max
steel case
classic dial
indexes preferred
white/silver face

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

*Edit - to be clear, I'm looking at chronographs

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I'm having difficulty thinking of anything else that suits your criteria, but that Longines is lovely so go for it!

Nomos Zürich at 2560 EUR (SS back) is worth spending a bit more for, I think.
I think he's after a chronograph ;-)

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
The Longines Heritage Col. Wheel Possibly the best dress chrono I can think of.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
That's one of the nicer-looking chronos but...not sure about that offset date window, you sure you can live with that? I couldn't -- to my eyes, it upsets the symmetry of the face. Everything is round, round, round and then you have that angled, offset date window surrounded by chrome... Anyway, it bothers me and I just figured I'd bring it up. I'll shut up now...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I realized I missed listing the chrono bit explicitly. Not right for this purchase, but the Zurich is certainly a beautiful watch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out L1.641.4.75.4 or L1.641.4.75.2, they don't suffer the angled date problem and look more classic, IMO.

Edit: Just so you know, the first model has a Hesalite crystal. The second's got sapphire.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well I'm going to play devil's advocate here and ask the OP "are you sure you want to buy a column wheel chrono?" It is hefty premium for what some on this forum claim is just a heavily modified Valjoux 7750.

Bottom line...you can get this Longines w L688 movement for $3000:

L2.733.4.72.2_md.jpg
or this one with an L683 movement for $2000 + a Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono for $1000:
longines-flagship-heritage-collection-l47964782-longines-130118_dettaglio.jpg + h32616553_2.jpg

Edit: I'm also willing to bet that service costs for two 7750 movements will be less than what Longines demands for their L688s.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The column wheel modification is definitely appealing to me, and takes this one above the generic 7750s that populate a great many watches both above and below in price. Plus I think it's a gorgeous design and an elegant watch. I'm sure there are a great many other choices at your budget point, but I don't see a better one.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I like the Longines you've already selected, but it's dial/ hands, although classy, seem a little too bland...but that's not even a criticism; only my humble opinion. I would compare this model to - admittedly busy dials - these new heritage models (with the same movement):

L2.780.4.18.2[2].jpg L2.781.4.13.2[1].jpg
Models: L2.781.4.13.2 and L2.780.4.18.2 (pics from www)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Having handled Longine's Column Wheel offerings, I'd go with the St. Imier. The best looking of them all IMO. Had one on my wrist week before last. The only ones I did not get to see were the Tachymeter variants CTMFR listed. Those are nice looking, but I haven't seen them in the flesh.

If you are looking column-wheel, I think the Longines is likely the best way to go. Look for at least 15% off from an AD, maybe 20%.

I really like the looks and finish of the B&M Capelands as well. They feel a little more substantial on the wrist than the Longines. That said, nothing special movement-wise if that matters.

Want to boost the uniqueness meter a bit? Christopher Ward C900. It is 43mm BUT it is a minimalist design, proprietary movement (a heavily modified Unitas), handwound, and...wait for it...a monopusher! A touch more money than the Longines, the nearest competitor to the C900 (B&R WWI Monopusher) is twice the price.

I really like the Longines, and I wouldn't hesitate if I were in the market. The Chris Ward is just something a little different to consider. Good Luck! Post Pics!

Reactions: sys

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Will service costs for a column wheel be that much more? All I could find was this chart from an independent shop, which doesn't list the column wheel. I'm still somewhat new to the game and the only service I've had to do so far was for my vintage Omega. I'm assuming regular servicing would be less than that.

Of the other watches posted, the Christopher Ward is the most appealing and would be a contender if it were smaller. I feel like I have that issue a lot when looking at watches... I'll check out the St. Imier next time I go by the store; maybe it will wear small.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

Will service costs for a column wheel be that much more? All I could find was this chart from an independent shop, which doesn't list the column wheel. I'm still somewhat new to the game and the only service I've had to do so far was for my vintage Omega. I'm assuming regular servicing would be less than that.

Of the other watches posted, the Christopher Ward is the most appealing and would be a contender if it were smaller. I feel like I have that issue a lot when looking at watches... I'll check out the St. Imier next time I go by the store; maybe it will wear small.

Thanks to all.
L688.2 is a proprietary movement. Generall speaking: Proprietary = excuse to charge more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts