WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a CW C60 Trident Pro which I got around September last year. I keep it on a watch winder and I set it at the beginning of May (after the April date flick) and left it. Today I notice it is over 5 minutes slow... by my maths that's an average of -25s per day. I don't think that's within the acceptable boundary for a Sellita SW-200. Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm a bit of a novice at this... but what happens if you wear it on your wrist? How about when you lay it at different positions on a table overnight (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, etc...)?

My watches all behave differently depending what I/its doing. I've even seen different variance between when I've let it unwind and stop and the next wind. Just based on my limited experience with several watches over a number of months I've gone from being convinced I needed my new watches regulated to understanding their idiosyncrasies and keeping them within a minute or two weekly to as little as few seconds. For one stint my watch was losing over 15 seconds a day so I let it unwind and now wind it in the morning and night (even though it is automatic) and it has been staying within 2 seconds per day. I've learned automatic watches are a strange animal. I suppose if I had a $6K spring drive Grand Seiko I wouldn't be so forgiving trying to work with a watch that was not consistently within a couple of seconds.

Lastly, my one watch that seems to have the most variability has a warranty for +20/-15... Their identified test I wind and lay dial up for a 24 hour period. I'm curious that the 'rules' are for your C60 and how it actually performs. For any kind of diver with sealing, I'd want to really weigh heavily if I want to open up the case mid-maintenance cycle... and then will the shop be pressure testing it when done?

With that said, check his link:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f6/regulating-adjusting-sellita-sw200-cosc-certified-movement-721363.html

·
Registered
578 Posts
-25 is quite a lot. Might need some adjusting. Is your watch winder such that the watch is dial perpendicular to the floor at all angles of rotation? If so it's missing the dial up/down positions where this watch might be gaining time. I'd try putting it on the table dial up for a day see if it gains. If no, I'd get it checked/adjusted to at least +\- 10?

·
Premium Member
38,915 Posts
Go back to CW with it. By all accounts they have some of the best customer service in the business (and you should have a 5 year movement warranty). Get in touch and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Go back to CW with it. By all accounts they have some of the best customer service in the business (and you should have a 5 year movement warranty). Get in touch and see what they can do for you.
+1

·
Registered
909 Posts
i do have CW trident GMT one (i admit it's different movement altogether, eta 2824 versus 2893, gmt one) and last time i checked mine was off, for about 15-20 seconds per day.

Wear it on your wrist, normally watch movements (eta in particular) are adjusted in positions which you use frequently on your wrist, as opposed to winder positions, and track the accuracy... if it is still off by 20+ seconds per day, i guess you can have it regulated or address CW directly for solving accuracy problems.

But just for the record, elabore grade eta movements (since sw 200 is an eta clone, i guess it stand correct for them as well) has a maxumum of positional variance of 30 sec per day.
That means that your watch movement might loose as much as 30 seconds, while being left in certain position.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
More than likely, if you send it back, the watchmaker will leave it face up for 24 hours to check him/herself. I'd take it off the winder, full wound, and do your own test with the dial facing up.

Or you can just send it back. I'm pretty sure CW will find your watch's performance to be totally unacceptable if it is running more than -10-15 s/d.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,052 Posts
Before you spend the money to send it off try a simple experiment. Let's identify where the problem is by eliminating the possibility of a problem with the winder. Set the watch to time.gov and just wear the watch for a week with no hand winding and no time on the watch winder. Set it face up at night. Then at the end of 7 days check time.gov again and divide the error by 7. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
29,121 Posts
Before you spend the money to send it off try a simple experiment. Let's identify where the problem is by eliminating the possibility of a problem with the winder. Set the watch to time.gov and just wear the watch for a week with no hand winding and no time on the watch winder. Set it face up at night. Then at the end of 7 days check time.gov again and divide the error by 7. Let us know the results.
Excellent advice.

If that does not work, at least CW has excellent customer support services if it does need a trip back to the shop.

·
Premium Member
61,543 Posts
Top notch advice from John. Follow it and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far, 2 minutes plus some seconds behind true time after 3 days normal wear and no time on winder. Placed face up at night. I think sending it to CW is the best bet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - watch sent back to CW on 09.06.14, received from them today - they say it has been regulated and tested for 72 hours.
It was returned well packed, but was not going so I gave it the 20 revolutions on the crown as advised in their manual and we shall see how it performs...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Good Advise, I agree

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the watch back now 4 weeks. On the winder the whole time, less than 20 seconds off after a month so I'm pretty happy. Regulating it seems to have done the trick, cheers CW!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts