WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I visited Glashütte!

While in Germany for a wedding, we took a daytrip to Glashütte. Very nice small, sleepy, non-touristy town near Dresden. A little out of the way, but the excellent German train system stops there several times a day. The Nomos factory is right at the train station, and their tiny retail outlet just up the street.

We walked past Lange, G.O., and Hemess (which was closed, never heard of them), but only stuck our heads in the lobby at Lange, due to time constraints. Not that I was going to buy a Lange. We didn't find Mühle. We also saw signs pointing to a Wempe store, but didn't check it out.

I bought two Nomos Large Tetras. Tetras are now being made in 16 colors. Got a "Mispel" with display back, which is a chocolate brown dial with sky blue hands and numerals, and a "Jelangerjelieler", which is a creme dial with dark pink - almost red - hands and numerals, solid back. The brown is for me. The creme and pink is for my 22 y.o. son, whose tastes are a little sportier than mine. The Alpha movement is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Also bought a Tangente Sport, solid back. It's a gift for my other son. The silver dial is much more "silvery" than my Stowa Antea. The Antea is slightly larger than the Tangente Sport. They're both beautiful, but I think I like the Stowa a little better.

The nice young lady at the Nomos store was thrilled when we said we wanted to buy a watch. She nearly passed out when we bought three. She instructed us to go to the cafe up the street and drink a few beers while she wrote everything up. Just an absolutely wonderful day.

Yeah, a lot of money, especially with the dollar in the tank, but what are the odds of me ever getting back to Glashütte again?

I'll try to post pictures when I get a chance.

G

·
Thanks for your report.

Just FYI: It wasn´t a sign pointing to a Wempe store but the sign leading to the Observatory ("Wempe Sternwarte") up the hill known as the "Ochsenkopf".

The ateliers of Wempe are in the old Nomos building up the Altenberger Straße. But afaik there´s no shop.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi c.coyle,

Excellent story.

Please post the pictures of the Tetra(s) that you have purchased. I was thinking of getting one for my wife, do they wear big? Some wrist shots with different watches would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tommy

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,796 Posts
Congratulations and I am glad you enjoyed your brief time in Glashutte :-!

The Muhle factory is at the end of the town heading towards Prague.

Did you see the new Watch museum grand opening and the Tutima factory next to Nomos?

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They have two sizes. The smaller Tetra is the lady's watch. I don't know the dimensions offhand.

My large Tetra looks good on my (I guess average size) wrist. That's about all I can say. It's a dressy watch, so it's noticeably smaller than a flieger or a dive watch, if that helps. It's simple and understated, like all Nomos models, so I wouldn't say it "wears large", like my Seamaster for instance.

I have about 400 photos of all sorts to sort through from Bremen, Berlin, Dresden, and all points in between. It's going to take at least a week to get some watch shots up, but I will.

I forgot to mention that there is a watch museum in what I think is Glashütte's old town hall. I didn't think we had the time to go through it, and I could kick myself now.

EDIT: Yup, that's my Mispel that Mike has posted. And I wasn't even aware that Tutima was in Glasshütte. Damn!

Does anyone know anything about Hemess?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Re: I visited Glashütte!

Thank you for the great report and look forward to your pics. Congrats on the 3 new watches.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Congrats on a great experience. I'd like to "pop" in the door of Lange or Nomos myself...

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Re: I visited Glashütte!

sounds like a very enjoyable and productive day-trip. to me, a trip is always productive if you wind up buying a nice watch along the way. ;-)

i don't see myself in germany any time soon but if i ever get around to visiting, the watch-centric areas would be on my 'places-to-go' list.

looking forward to some pics... b-)

While in Germany for a wedding, we took a daytrip to Glashütte. Very nice small, sleepy, non-touristy town near Dresden. A little out of the way, but the excellent German train system stops there several times a day. The Nomos factory is right at the train station, and their tiny retail outlet just up the street.

We walked past Lange, G.O., and Hemess (which was closed, never heard of them), but only stuck our heads in the lobby at Lange, due to time constraints. Not that I was going to buy a Lange. We didn't find Mühle. We also saw signs pointing to a Wempe store, but didn't check it out.

I bought two Nomos Large Tetras. Tetras are now being made in 16 colors. Got a "Mispel" with display back, which is a chocolate brown dial with sky blue hands and numerals, and a "Jelangerjelieler", which is a creme dial with dark pink - almost red - hands and numerals, solid back. The brown is for me. The creme and pink is for my 22 y.o. son, whose tastes are a little sportier than mine. The Alpha movement is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Also bought a Tangente Sport, solid back. It's a gift for my other son. The silver dial is much more "silvery" than my Stowa Antea. The Antea is slightly larger than the Tangente Sport. They're both beautiful, but I think I like the Stowa a little better.

The nice young lady at the Nomos store was thrilled when we said we wanted to buy a watch. She nearly passed out when we bought three. She instructed us to go to the cafe up the street and drink a few beers while she wrote everything up. Just an absolutely wonderful day.

Yeah, a lot of money, especially with the dollar in the tank, but what are the odds of me ever getting back to Glashütte again?

I'll try to post pictures when I get a chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.