WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch junkie here who has recently fallen off the wagon. For years I have been satisfied with my Citizen Eco-Drive perpetual calendar. But now I'm really interested in a watch that is more "connected" to me. I really like the idea of my wrist movements powering the watch. So recently I got myself a Seiko 809K2 which I enjoy, but I'd prefer a quartz movement that I don't have to worry about checking whether or not it's keeping accurate time.

This has led me to wanting a Kinetic. My requirements are: Simple/elegant styling, power reserve indicator, a date window, and a leather bracelet. Nice to have would be luminous hands. I'm thinking I want either the SRH009P1 or the SRG001P2. I'm leaning towards the SRG001 because it appears to have thin lume stripes on the hands. My problem is, I can find very few personal reviews and/or videos about these watches. Anyone have experience with these? How do you think they would look on a fairly skinny wrist?

I went to a department store that rhymes with "Macy's" today but the only thing similar they had was the SNP005P1. I was a little disapointed in the looks and weight of it. It also felt like I really need to shake it hard in order to get it going. I could really feel the rotor spinning. Are they all rough like that?

Sorry for the rambling post. Any opinions on these models or kinetics in general would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Just going to leave you with this little true tale . . .

Years ago, decided to get a higher-end watch from the Swatches I had owned. Wanted a watch I could rely on that would last several decades. Tried a $200 Victorinox Field model. Defective. Then tried a $450 Vic Aviator model from a different shop. Also defective (for a different reason than the 1st). Next came a kinetic Hamilton for around $600. Worst watch I ever owned. The power reserve was non-existent. Constantly kept stopping on me. Loved the look of the Hamilton, but the watch itself didn't even deserve to be called a watch. All three returned shortly after each one was purchased.

Kinetic movement sounds good in theory, but I've owned a Citizen Eco-Drive since Christmas that is incredibly accurate. Easily puts my old kinetic Hamilton to shame. Also, with a kinetic, you'll catch yourself shaking your wrist while wearing the watch. People going to look at you as though you have some sort of weird medical condition.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I had a Diver style Seiko BFK. SKA371 on bracelet. Loved it and will be getting another. If you wear it twice a week it will stay at full charge. You just push the button above the crown to check the charge level, very cool, if the second hand moves 30 seconds ahead you have 6 months of charge. They do require a lot of wearing or swinging the watch back and forth to get it to full charge originally.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
The Seiko kinetic, being quartz, is as accurate as the Citizen Eco-Drive (of which it sounds like Monocrom has a very good example). I don't think it's fair to judge current Seiko kinetics by an experience with a Hamilton kinetic (I didn't know Hamilton made kinetics--does Hamilton still make kinetics?).

I've had about 5 Seiko kinetics; all were first rate. The problem most cited with kinetic is that it's hard to keep it charged if you have other watches you wear. Unlike solar Eco-Drive, for example, which can charge from any light source when not in use, no such facility for kinetic, which must be worn or shaken. If the kinetic will be your principle watch, then you really can choose solar or kinetic quartz based on which style watch you prefer.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
The Seiko kinetic, being quartz, is as accurate as the Citizen Eco-Drive (of which it sounds like Monocrom has a very good example). I don't think it's fair to judge current Seiko kinetics by an experience with a Hamilton kinetic (I didn't know Hamilton made kinetics--does Hamilton still make kinetics?).
Nope. You won't find a single example of a kinetic watch on their official website. Leads me to conclude that my sample was more the rule than the exception to it. Seems Hamilton decided to cut its losses. A smart move. I'd buy a Hamilton again.

Also wanted to point out that my Citizen Eco-Drive has been on my wrist as my EDC watch since just after Christmas. Other than a few seconds of shining a high intensity LED light on it one day, I have not babied it or treated it differently from my quartz watches that use a traditional battery. My BM7080-03E model has indeed been spot-on. (Only thing I'd change about it is the strap. Due to its looks, it would benefit from a rubber strap that looks like traditional leather. The stock leather strap is fine, but gets wet each time I wash my hands.)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got my first Kinetic about two weeks ago so who the hell am I to talk ? Well I have a large selection of watches and only three are quartz and frankly I just cant stand quartz, something inside me says its just not a real watch, being someone that is very switched on to electronics by virtue of profession they just seem like a 50c solution to something that is a work of art no matter how basic... a little machine on your wrist.

However quartz are incredibly accurate and if I like a watch enough I buy it no matter what it is or by who , that is how I got the yellow face Seiko BFK. I liked it pure and simple , it is so well made I have worn it each and every day since I bought it , It is superb. I set it on the day I got it and to date it has gained and lost ZERO I still prefer a sweep hand and a tick but this one watch is winning me over, it does not make much noise and it just works. The kinetic got up to speed in about three days and shows full power.

After all who of us can ask for more, it works and it keeps great time it feel like a real watch and looks good and the best bit it didn't cost a fortune.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Watch junkie here who has recently fallen off the wagon. For years I have been satisfied with my Citizen Eco-Drive perpetual calendar. But now I'm really interested in a watch that is more "connected" to me. I really like the idea of my wrist movements powering the watch. So recently I got myself a Seiko 809K2 which I enjoy, but I'd prefer a quartz movement that I don't have to worry about checking whether or not it's keeping accurate time.

This has led me to wanting a Kinetic. My requirements are: Simple/elegant styling, power reserve indicator, a date window, and a leather bracelet. Nice to have would be luminous hands. I'm thinking I want either the SRH009P1 or the SRG001P2.
I went to a department store that rhymes with "Macy's" today but the only thing similar they had was the SNP005P1. I was a little disapointed in the looks and weight of it. It also felt like I really need to shake it hard in order to get it going. I could really feel the rotor spinning. Are they all rough like that?
Normally something like SNP001 (or SNP005) would have been my suggestion. :-d (IMHO the perpetual calendar is a nice real extra, while the direct-drive is just a gizmo).

The kinetic 'feel' should not be a huge lot different than the feel that you get from automatic models (specifically those using ball-bearings like Seiko 7S calibers or ETA 2824).

The initial 'shake' could be related to the 'auto-relay' part - when wearing it reasonably often things should be a lot better.

And I hope that the 'rough' description from above does not apply to the watch finish - I believe there is no watch with a MSRP under 1500-2000 US$ that looks a huge lot better than a (non-defective) SNP00x !!! :think:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Keep 'em coming. This is a great forum, glad I joined! Now I'm starting to lean towards the Sportura line since my Citizen already takes care of my "dress watch" needs. I'm just worried about how big they are for my 6.5" wrist. I need to find a decent watch store with a big enough selection where I can see all these models in person.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wear mine to go jogging three times a week and that keeps it between two thirds and a full charge. If I wear it full time it will charge completely. It's my most accurate watch by a mile. Finish and bezel feel are nice, too. It's not quite as toolie feeling as the Seiko autos but it's a nice choice.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
my ongoing concern for kinetics is how an incompletely charged battery affects its longevity. My assumption is that in solar, the battery is more likely to stay fully charged and thus have a longer life: you put the solar watch on your windowsill when you're not wearing it. No such option with a kinetic, unless you buy the increasingly expensive Seiko charging station ($200).

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I bought a BFK (SKA367) a couple of months ago, just to try out the whole Kinetic-concept. It isn't working for me.
I've got just too many watches to give the BFK the necessary wrist time in order to keep it charged. As a result, it's sitting in its box, as dead as can be. Experiment failed. No more Kinetic for me.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I bought a BFK (SKA367) a couple of months ago, just to try out the whole Kinetic-concept. It isn't working for me.
I've got just too many watches to give the BFK the necessary wrist time in order to keep it charged. As a result, it's sitting in its box, as dead as can be. Experiment failed. No more Kinetic for me.
That tells me that Seiko's market is largely single-watch owners. The extra heft of the charging rotor (and the display back) makes it seem like a more expensive watch than a solar watch. If I were to be a single-watch owner, I would consider that a definite plus over solar. People not only like shiny things, they also like things that are heavy for their size :-!.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can solve the power charge issue by being a one watch man. I got my SKJ Kinetic (article post by Quartzimodo Admin, quartzimodo.com/) going on 10 years ago overseas in Hong Kong. In the linked article I have a 3rd generation 5M63-0A10 movement, the SMY001P. It is my everyday wear and 1) keeps very accurate time, 2) is comfortable with a solid bracelet, 3) strong sapphlex glass that took a beating during my last few years in the Navy, banging on the metal ladder rails and bulkheads, general shipboard environment without a scratch. No problem keeping a full charge - I do sit it down on weekends and have not worn it from the end of the workday Friday evening to Monday morning, and it maintained a 30 second charge (pressing the power indicator button at 2 o'clock, how many seconds the second hand moves tells you how much charge is remaining, 30 second being maximum). The day of the week is perpetual, but for months with less than 31 days, on the last day of the month I change the date to 31 and am good to go for 2 months, and twice a year, 3 months. I know it's not going to last forever, so I'm always looking for a replacement. You're right about finding a place to just shop for a watch. I lucked into mine in Hong Kong as they have many jewerly stores with huge watch displays. Nowadays, shopping is via internet or watchuseek.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Those SKJ Kinetics are really nice. You guys that have it are lucky!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have my Seiko Arctura Kinetic for some years now. Power reserve is still very good, I wear it +- 5 days of the week. The power reserve stays between 20-30 sec (1 month - 6 months), depends on the amount of wearing and activity. Also it's dead accurate, I only set the watch when switching from and to daylight saving time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
RightTurnClyde,

btw, I just got this kinetic on ebay: SEIKO KINETIC MEN SAPPHIRE 180-DAY POWER RESERVE SMY109. Almost the same watch as the one I'm wearing - the diver SMY001 in my previous post. Imagine owning a watch purchased some 10 years ago that was made like they used to, and finding it's cousin for sale, new in box to boot. This one could keep me in kinetics virtually forever.

I also own an authentic Rolex Submariner and never wear it. Dosen't keep good time at all, which from what I read here, is common for automatics.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
I have a yellow dial bfk (ska387) and seiko ceasar (sKa3832). Both are suberb watches and are extememly accurate. They maybe gain 2-3 seconds in 2-3 months.

As far as keeping them fully charged if you don't plan on wearing it at least a couple times a week can become a small chore. I've grown my collection to 24 watches in about a year (thanks to this forum) and at one point both of my Kinetics completely stopped because I wasn't wearing them.

So as a little experiment...and also to see the amount of effort to fully charge them by shaking them...I did just that. I shook, rather spinned my Kinetics for about 15 to 20 mins 2 or 3 times a day (I didn't keep an accurate record) and got them fully charged in about three days. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I compare it to stress relief...some people use chinese medicine balls...a WIS can spin their Kinetics :)

All joking aside...I really did it to find out if I could...and I was able to. Now it just takes maybe 10 spins every 2 days or so to maintain a full charge. Besides my wife making fun of me, personally it isn't that big of a chore for me and it gives me an excuse to "play with my toys".

Go ahead and get a Kinetic. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I also own an authentic Rolex Submariner and never wear it. Doesn't keep good time at all, which from what I read here, is common for automatics.
I've noticed there's generally two outlooks on watches.

1~ Man-jewelry:

Other than a wedding ring, a watch is the only acceptable piece of jewelry a man is allowed to wear in civilized society. So you wear the best-looking one you can find that requires no battery. It's a piece of jewelry first, a functional watch 2nd.

2~ Pragmatic time-piece:

The reason why a watch is acceptable for a man to wear is because there's a pragmatic issue involved. Time is money. Business appointment, doctor's appointment, a date. All require showing up on time. A watch is just that . . . a watch. It's a watch first, and a piece of jewelry 2nd. Sometimes a distant 2nd. Men who would never wear jewelry on their wrist, will strap on a watch on a daily basis without a second thought. Doesn't mean the watch has to be ugly. But above all else, it must be accurate. That means quartz movement.

Some individuals in one camp can't see the point of view of those in the other. I can. But must admit am firmly in the 2nd camp that sees a watch as more a pragmatic item than a piece of jewelry.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
I too have too many watches to wear my Kinetic as my one-and-only. But I solved the charging problem by simply wearing to the gym 2-3 times a week. After the workout, I might wear something else. But that much revving on the treadmill is more than 'nuf to keep the little "monster" humming at FULL power.
And that allows me to sometimes NOT wear it for several months if I'm too busy lovin' other watches, and that's just fine too. My Kinetic has never died on me yet!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts