WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is apparently 13.4mm thick which seems excessive, especially given the style and modest 37mm case size.
So, any owners care to comment on how it wears?

Alternatively, should I consider a used example of the previous model, the SBGR023? It is about 1mm thinner and I would also save some $. It looks identical but I would forfeit the display case-back and longer power reserve of the newer movement. I'm not aware of any other differences?

SBGR053

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
1mm is not that big of a deal. I'd go for the display back and power reserve, unless the price differential is a deal breaker.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I'd definitely take the 1mm hit and go with the current one. There's more to the 9S65 update than a power reserve increase, plus it's nice to see it.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to the Hi-beat SBGH005:

It's slightly thinner (0.3 mm) but the increase in diameter will make it appear substantially thinner. Plus it's got a 9S85 in it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1mm is not that big of a deal. I'd go for the display back and power reserve, unless the price differential is a deal breaker.
Certainly 1mm doesn't sound much, but I thought it might be quite noticeable in the context of case thickness.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to the Hi-beat SBGH005:
It's slightly thinner (0.3 mm) but the increase in diameter will make it appear substantially thinner. Plus it's got a 9S85 in it.
The hi-beat is lovely, but the smaller 37mm case of the 053 is more preferable to me. Another option is the 36mm manual wind SBGW035. I love that watch and it's around 12mm thick, but I'm not convinced that I can do without a date function.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Because you mentioned size, I'd ask if you've given any thought to Citizen's The Citizen Automatic? The fit and finish race should be close and the more obvious pros and cons make things at least sort of interesting:

Cons:

Accuracy is -5 / +10
Power Reserve is 42 hours
0910 movement is a modified Premium Miyota movement vs. famous GS 9S. It's still an in-house movement so it might be worth seeing what experts think.

Pros:

Lighter: 121gm
Thinness w/display case back: 10.9mm
Price: Maybe $500 (USD) cheaper
Duratect coating works like a charm
Warranty: 10 years w/two free inspections
WUS stealthiness rating would be off the charts!

Citizen Auto 2.jpg

Citizen Auto 3.jpg

Citizen Auto.jpg

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
GlennO, I don't have any hands on with that model, but fwiw, here's a few pics of my SBGR019, 39 mm and 13.2 mm thick. It's fine for me, don't know if it would be the same if the diameter was 37 mm. Good luck in your decision . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
You know, if it'd be helpful, next week I'll head up to Timeless and take some photos of one with the same dimensions if there's one there. Pretty standard size though so chances are there'll be one. Would that be useful?

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Because you mentioned size, I'd ask if you've given any thought to Citizen's The Citizen Automatic?
TBH, although I've often considered The Citizen quartz, I've never really thought about the auto, but the 10mm thickness is excellent and the Duratect is a bonus. I know very little about them. I wonder if they have a double domed sapphire like the GS autos.

Edit: After a bit of research I've answered my own question. For anyone who may need this info in the future, there are currently two lines of The Citizen automatics. The CTY57 models have a domed sapphire and are 11.3mm thick whilst the NA0000 models have a flat sapphire and are 10.9mm thick. I don't know why the flat sapphire models are 20,000 yen more expensive.

GlennO, I don't have any hands on with that model, but fwiw, here's a few pics of my SBGR019, 39 mm and 13.2 mm thick. It's fine for me, don't know if it would be the same if the diameter was 37 mm. Good luck in your decision . . .
Hafta say, that is a VERY cool looking model. The bracelet alone is amazing.

You know, if it'd be helpful, next week I'll head up to Timeless and take some photos of one with the same dimensions if there's one there. Pretty standard size though so chances are there'll be one. Would that be useful?
Thanks. I can find photos, but if you'd like to try one on and post your impressions I'd appreciate it. I have a small wrist and prefer 36mm-38mm cases and have found that the thicker cases can be prone to top heaviness.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is a good question to ask! I have not heard members complaining much about the thickness of the Sbgr053 or 51 that I remember. But it would be great to get direct feedback. The older models do come up for sale though and are thinner.

All this GS talk is killing me : ( along with the lowered yen !
i have overspent my budget for the year but might purchase a GS ( Sbgr051 ; ) next year !

Reactions: Gary123

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I love the GS series, I like the smaller versions (37mm) also...probably a quartz tho (sorry all).

Great choice :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
. . . . . prefer 36mm-38mm cases and have found that the thicker cases can be prone to top heaviness.

Ok, GlennO, you are correct in that 'cause that's the case (no pun) with my GS. Not a big negative for me but there definitely is more of a top heavy feeling vs some of my other thicker pieces on a strap. I think it's more noticeable with the bracelet because it's worn looser than with a strap if that makes any kind of sense at all. At any rate, too bad you can't access one to try before purchasing. Know how hard that might be . . .

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the GS series, I like the smaller versions (37mm) also...probably a quartz tho (sorry all).

Great choice :)
You wouldn't regret it. I love my GS quartz and it's one of the reasons I want to add another GS. It's hard to justify another quartz but an auto would probably replace my AT 2500 and my Ebel.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You wouldn't regret it. I love my GS quartz and it's one of the reasons I want to add another GS. It's hard to justify another quartz but an auto would probably replace my AT 2500 and my Ebel.
I'm really liking the Limited Edition white dial version..SBGX103 it's a stunner but pricey.

sbgx103-1.jpg

Lucky for me his web site is down for maintenance :)

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It's gorgeous. I can pm you his email address ;-)
You Sir are a mean, and evil man....tempting me into the abyss of horology o|

But if you would be so kind, I would appreciate that thoughtful PM :-! A watch that beautiful and stunning , sitting on a shelf lonely...it's just down right sinful :) I once again will do my part, as a concerned WIS...to save the toy's on "Misfit Island " |>

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You Sir are a mean, and evil man....tempting me into the abyss of horology o|

But if you would be so kind, I would appreciate that thoughtful PM :-! A watch that beautiful and stunning , sitting on a shelf lonely...it's just down right sinful :) I once again will do my part, as a concerned WIS...to save the toy's on "Misfit Island " |>
Happy to help you spend your hard-earned ;-)

If someone asked me to recommend the best looking, high quality, most accurate low maintenance watch currently available it would be that one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts