WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a passion for good design, especially good watch design. I have spent some time designing my first watch... right now it exists only as a digital file. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a watch company started, or perhaps design for a watch company? Any help is much appreciated.

Here's my first design: Updated with a Power Reserve design

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Nice Design! Clean and toolish, modern and sporty. Maybe you should connect with this guy:
Mooren Watch. He wants to start a watch company too. :-!

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Know how to make a small fortune in the watch business? Start with a large one.
That's the joke out here in wine country too, about starting a winery; and for some dumb reason I make wine. My answer when people ask me if I plan to start a professional winery: "I would rather spend money on a hobby than lose money on a business." But then again, my day job is music so who am I kidding?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skywatch... my philosophy has always been have a good time... do something you enjoy, and worry about the money later. ;-)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
About the design: You forgot the "1".

About you starting a watch company: Do not quit your day job.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
skywatch... my philosophy has always been have a good time... do something you enjoy, and worry about the money later. ;-)
Similar ideas for me - and with a philosophy like that you are likely to get good at what you do because you love it. Of course, it never hurts to have a safety net. Decades ago, when it got more obvious that I was becoming a professional recording artist, my mom would always say, "well, you gotta eat." (cue worried motherly expression...) Which might explain why I always have trouble losing weight now... see what you did to me, mom? :)

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Hi Deluxebrand, first I would like to say: '' welcome to WUS! ''. It takes a lot of guts(and cash or good contacts) to take a dream and bring it to reality. Starting a new company, no matter what it is, is risky. If you feel that you have what it takes to get in the jungle, go ahead! It will not be long before life tells you if you were right or wrong.

About your design, I have to say that the first time a saw your drawing, I honestly thought I was looking at a Dievas watch add. I think that you have original elements though, i like Military style watches and the crown at 2 O'clock is a nice detail. I've seen that only on Russian watches so far.

With a lot of determinations, talent and vision, people accomplish amazing things. If you can master these three elements, you will be successful, JMHO.

I wish you best of luck! :-!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments... I know staring companies is difficult, I have started a few over the years... Note: I have updated the design with a Power Reserve version... and added back the "1" ;-)

Tor

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Sounds like a saying for folks with too much money.:-d

Seriously though, it takes a lot of patience, and connections and knowledge of manufacturers/resources in the far east wouldn't hurt. I like the designs. Curious if you have any special inside knowledge of the watch industry or the inner workings of automatic watches. This also helps. I like the power reserve meter. Is there a movement available with a power reserve meter in the center?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dnslater, amoeba... I do have tons of mfg experience and connections in Asia, however I wouldn't want to make it there... I would prefer Europe or U.S.... and I have no knowledge about the mechanics of watch design, so I don't have any idea if the center Power Reserve would work... it looks cool though!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Now the designs look really good.
If you want a PR meter, you must keep it in a place as dictated by the movement manufacturers.
I guess you will go with ETA.

Do not hesitate to use a Chinese case, bracelet and strap. It will bring the cost down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Janne... I have a ton more designs swimming in my head that I'm going to flush out over the next few weeks.. Now I just need an investor to get started :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Here's the first watch that I thought of when I saw your drawings! Dievas Reaper.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I would drop the power reserve subdial, and take a lesson from the Reaper's bezel. The one on yours looks rachety, like a gear waiting to mesh with another.

The dial is brilliant, a league above the Reaper. The wave pattern on the dial that's called Tempest--Shakespeare and storm--very appropriate. And Elementi, hope you got that copyrighted. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Designing a watch isn't hard. Finding someone to build it would be pricey but not impossible.

Marketing a new brand to the point where it is profitable - now that would probably be the toughest part.

Soo many established brands out there, it would be diffcult to stand out.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts