WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“I want to buy a new Speedmaster Professional and need an AD referral!”

First let me say that I am more than happy to take 60-90 seconds to PM or preferably email a referral but I feel I will be doing you a disservice.

Why would you be content with a 20-30% discount on a new Speedmaster Professional knowing that the first time you placed it on your wrist, you would have just lost 20-30% of the discounted price?

Is it because you want the Omega warranty? Valid reason but:
1. Do you expect problems with a movement as reliable as the Lemania?
2. Do you really want to send it to an Omega service center for repair (or even simple regulation) and wonder in what condition it will be when it is returned after weeks or even months of waiting?

Is it because you want the “latest and the greatest”? Not so valid a reason as the Speedmaster Professional is a classic design that has looked basically the same for forty years. The untrained eye would have difficulty distinguishing my 105.012 from the current 3570.50.

Is it because you desire the honor and pleasure of inflicting the first (and inevitable) scratches and dings? Again, another not so valid reason for buying new. There are “previously owned” Speedies out there that have been lovingly cared for with fewer blemishes than some dealer display models.

Is it because you don’t mind taking the “depreciation hit” – paying the “stupid tax”? I can’t argue with that after all, it’s your money. You can waste it if you want.

When I was considering my first Speedmaster Professional, the forum guys in the know advised against buying new. I took that advice and over five or so years, I have bought and sold a dozen or more before setting in with the four I currently own. I have purchased from sellers on the sales corners and on the famous auction site as well. I have sold in like fashion and have yet to be stuck with a Speedy or lose money on the resale.

So where should one look for a “previously owned” Speedmaster Professional? I suggest you look to the Asian market*. The Asian WIS (and noticeably the Japanese WIS) is generally very knowledgeable regarding watches and takes good care of them but they are susceptible to the “latest and greatest” syndrome. (That’s why watch companies such as Omega produce special editions for the Asian market.) When a new model hits the stores, the “old” Speedmaster Professional comes off the wrist and is sold or traded in.

Consider this: a new 3570.50 retails for US$3450 and can be purchased from an AD with a discount for US$2450. That same watch can regularly be purchased used LNIB for less than US$1700 including shipping. Admittedly there may be no warranty remaining but even a full service won’t cost the difference in savings.

These observations are based upon my own experience and offered for your consideration and comment.

Fr. John+

*Note that many of us on the forum have had reliable dealing with these eBay sellers:

jmryshi
sabashioyakiz1
kaberui

They usually have nice watches and stand behind them. My first Speedy Pro came from jmryshi back when his feedback score was less than 100.

This recommendation is based on past experience and I cannot warrant what will happen in the future so the doctrine of caveat emptor (buyer beware) still applies.

·
6,880 Posts
Re: “I want to buy a new Speedmaster Professional and need an AD referral!”

I have learned that the hard way....but to each their own.

I bought my Seamaster brand new from a dealer with a GREAT discount. However, I have learned the hard way...through the wallet that is....that it's a better idea to hunt for a nice used one than to buy brand new. Thats JMHO though.

Good post John.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts

Father John-
I feel it is only fair that after shamelessly infecting numerous forum readers with the dreaded SPV (as you and Jean-Micheal did to me!!) you at least provide some relief (in the form of advice) from the cost of treatment . I did just what you suggest and am very happy with my Speedy. Although I intended to buy from Japan, the watch I found across town was truly 'like new' so I did pay the tax penalty for the peace of mind afforded by inspecting it before paying for it.
I have enjoyed it several times a week since June and always meant to thank both of you for 'getting me hooked'!
So.........
Thank you,
Don

·
Registered
525 Posts

I have learned that the hard way....but to each their own.

I bought my Seamaster brand new from a dealer with a GREAT discount. However, I have learned the hard way...through the wallet that is....that it's a better idea to hunt for a nice used one than to buy brand new. Thats JMHO though.

Good post John.
Exactly. I did purchase a couple of new Omega's.

One long enough ago to actually have it increase in value (my MkII Exotic Speedy) and a just recently a Seamaster 2599.80

But most of my purchases have been from other WIS's that took the initial hit.
A Speedy 3570.50 was a great find at a decent price as well as a PO 45.5. Both indistinguishable from new.

If you have some patience and don't mind the searching, you will find what you're looking for eventually :-!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

This is wonderful advice. Excellent thread.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Fr. John, I want to personally thank you for your advice. After receiving your advice in the past, I bought both of my Omegas preowned and couldn't be happier. I got 2 watches in excellent condition, at a substantial savings, even when subtracting 30% off of msrp. And I get the added benefit of not paying the "stupid tax" (man I feel smarter already :) ). Thanks again for your advice.

Len

·
Registered
33 Posts

When you speak of "asian market" do you mean the looking for watches for sale on the "famous auction site" offered by asian sellers or are there other sites that you would recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

When you speak of "asian market" do you mean the looking for watches for sale on the "famous auction site" offered by asian sellers or are there other sites that you would recommend.

Thanks
Buying a "previously owned" Speedy Pro (or any watch) requires a certain amount of knowledge - knowledge of the watch and the market. Attaining that knowledge requires time and patience.

Knowing the watch will help you avoid fakes and beaters. You will know what to look for and what questions to ask. If a seller claims the 321 is all original but the patina and "T's" are missing from the dial, you know the seller is not being truthful or is ignorant. The seller's honesty and knowledge is as important as the condition of the watch. It's always reassuring to buy from a knowledgeable source.

Good guys and good buys are found on the forum sales corners but finding them requires more investigation on your part in order to check out the seller. I always look at his posts to see if he is a forum regular and if he is knowledgeable. I ask for references and I check them out. Sometimes I discover that the watch has been on the market for a while and the price has been reduced several times. I ask myself why has it not sold - is it the watch, the price or the seller? But there are regulars on the corners that over time, you will get to know and trust - it just takes patience and effort on your part.

The famous auction site on the other hand has "helps" - primarily the feedback score. I bought my first Speedy from a guy who was just beginning to sell and although his score was 100% positive, he had very few sales. I took a chance and now five years later, he is a platinum seller. It is easy to find the good guys on the auction site - just look for the ones who have been around for a while and have established a positive feedback score.

But you still need to have knowledge of the watch to know what to look for and in order to ask the right questions of the seller. If you lack the knowedge, use someone else's - use the forum members to check it out.

The auction site is the easy way to go these days and I check the market almost daily. Over time you will find most any watch you may want for the price you are willing to pay. Caution: never enter a bid until the closing seconds. You will only be bidding against youself and driving the price up. I suggest you use one of the "autobot" bidding sites. You set the price you are willing to pay and your bid is entered automatically at the last few seconds. Of course you may not win the item but be assured that another will come up again - you will have another chance. Time and patience are your friends in the watch market - you can take that to the bank.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
276 Posts

Hello Sr.,
I just wanted to know if you can let me know which websites from the Asian market would I find good deals. Thank You.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hello Sr.,
I just wanted to know if you can let me know which websites from the Asian market would I find good deals. Thank You.

I have sent you a PM with references.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
33 Posts

Fr. John+
Would you mind sending me the same info?

Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts

Good post. That is my M.O. to save money, which means more watchesB-) santasmile Just know your seller.:)

·
Registered
240 Posts

As a counterpoint, I would suggest that I don't wear pre-owned clothes. The idea of a pre-owned watch has some of the same stigma for me. I've done a few person-to-person transactions, and after the latest debacle, I doubt I'll be going down that route anytime again in the near future. Save for a stellar seller (this guy was absolutely FIRST CLASS) it could have been a lot worse than it was. Had I not been dealing with such an excellent individual, I'd be in a very ugly position right now. I got lucky with the odds.

It all comes down to money, as much as we care to (or not to) admit it. For me, I see real value in spending an extra 5-600 to ensure that my watch is perfect. Its a personal item, and in my case tend to signify some event or achievement in my life. As stated here previously, the idea of celebrating an occasion with someone else's discarded merchandise doesn't set well with me. Some would rather put that money towards another piece - thats fine. I just don't need that many watches (BLASPHEMY!!!!) :) Oh, and as a point, if the watch needs a service and is out of warranty, the cost of that service won't negate the difference, but it will be pretty close at that point, and the 2-3 month wait to have it done by competent individual in Bienne sure will suck :)

Even with all that said, I still look for deals. You just never know. There are couple of sellers out there that I trust implicitly. In my case, its not so much a "stupid tax", but an "impatience tax". Either way, I'm screwed. :)

Fr. John is the best. I actually use his dealer and couldn't recommend him more. Each experience has been superb. I just have a different opinion on this particular matter. We apparently have the same (excellent) taste in watches. The question ultimately becomes "how many Speedmasters does one REALLY need?" :-!

·
Registered
109 Posts

Fr. John+
John,

Thanks for this thread, I'm been eyeing Speedy for a few months now (not one to rush in) and had come to a similar conclusion, its nice to hear this from someone more experienced.

Could I trouble you for the same PM?

Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
44 Posts

John,

Thanks for this thread, I'm been eyeing Speedy for a few months now (not one to rush in) and had come to a similar conclusion, its nice to hear this from someone more experienced.

Could I trouble you for the same PM?

Thanks,

Scott.
Can I add my voice to the chorus of those asking for a PM?

Thanks a bunch.

--doug

·
Registered
25 Posts

Great thread and great advice. There plenty of reputable dealers on the bay that if you track long enough, you'll come across what you are waiting for at a great price (in respect to AD's and non-AD websites).

I was watching a couple of user ID's and set up some automatic searches and a BNIB Speedy Pro came up that, after reading the description, emailing the seller with questions, I was comfortable sending my money to Japan for. I ended up paying $1800 for a Brand New Speedy Pro with all boxes, cards, and tags/stickers. Now being ~3 months into the purchase and I couldnt be happier. This also (most of the time) lets you avoid paying taxes on something that expensive.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I would also like a pm with the sources as well. Thanks :)

- Garrett

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I would also like a pm with the sources as well. Thanks :)

- Garrett
PM sent, Garrett.

Good hunting. Let me know if I can help.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

PM sent, Garrett.

Good hunting. Let me know if I can help.

Fr. John+
Can you please also send me the info. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts