WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Check out the quartz offerings from Hamilton. Just bought my Wife one (had her select from a few). It's keeping excellent time, sapphire crystal and should be several in your price range. My Hammy also keeps great time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
depends on the style, if you gave some hints it might help narrow the search. Seiko is the obvious one, got my other half a seiko quartz a few years ago. If she likes bigger watches, theres nothing wrong with some of the Swatch offerings also. Solid quartz offerings, well put together and they have great after sales support should you need it.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Have you asked her what she likes instead of asking a bunch of strangers?
That's important. My wife has radically different tastes in watches...she is in love with her Shinola, while I'm in love with my Seiko SARB035. She totally has no idea why I prise such a "plain" watch.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Collect bonus points by taking her out watch shopping with $300.
and from Screwdwn:

Have you asked her what she likes instead of asking a bunch of strangers?

Two great responses. Is this watch for her or you? Maybe she LIKES the MK; then what?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Random thoughts-
The Tudor is nice. I suspect it is on the small side from the picture - some women (my wife for instance) really prefer the 'traditional" smaller size for women while many -particularly younger women, like the bigger watches now in vogue. Consider wrist size as well - a 42 mm watch on a 5 1/2 in wrist will look as out of place as a 22mm watch on a 7 1/2 inch wrist but change them around and they look great.

Does she want to put up with an automatic? Many women don't wear a watch every day and find having to reset it every time they pick it up frustrating. Setting the date can increase frustration even more. (again - my wife hates dates -unless I buy her a perpetual calender and that ain't gonna happen) A winder is a possibility but will blow your budget and is just something else she has to contend with. I usually recommend quartz watches for a woman for these reasons.

Still, there is that rare - and wonderful - type of gal who love mechanical things and will gladly put up with their 'little eccentricities".

Is she sporty? A workaholic at an office? Fancy dress aficionado? I think a Tissot has a good selection of womens watches - start there, find something you think she may bond with and then look for similar offerings from other manufacturers.

Or go for the Tudor.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Orient Star auto is in this budget as well, nice looking pieces and punching above their price line in terms of finishing.

But maybe your girlfriend likes the current fashion of oversized watches?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I think watch is a very personal item and tastes vary drastically. I would not give one as a gift unless the recipient made the interest in watches very clear and gave very strong indication as to their tastes.
Tudor OP posted is a very nice vintage - but not everyone is into vintage, or plain watches. Heck, most women in my office love their MK watches because they look blingy and like jewelry.

May I suggest you take her to the mall for something else (to Movies or to buy new socks), and casually walk by few watch stores just to gauge her reaction - is she anxious to go look at shoes (perhaps watches are not the best gift) or does she stop at MK case and gets excited (MK is the way to go) or will she look at divers vs dressy vs whatever.

I would hate to get a watch as a present as all my friends and family are not WISs and would likely get Invicta based purely on Amazon reviews and sales rating.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I just went through this with my wife. I got her a nice Tissot ladies auto. The next week, I ended up getting her the MK she wanted. If your GF likes MK, you may want to play it safe.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As others have said, it depends on a few things:
Is she into watches or are you thinking a watch is simply something she would like? Has she mentioned something that piqued her interest (was the no MK thing from her or you)? If she is into them, is it horological or fashion based? What does she like in them or expect it to do?

Example:
My wife mentioned last summer she wanted a "grown-up watch" when we came across some Michele watches. I asked her what she meant be that and she said "I don't know, something more mature looking from what I have, like the two-tone kind". I asked her if she meant anything more specific and she said, "Na, just something that looks nice." Now I know she's not into any of the horological or engineering aspects of them. She doesn't like jewelry or precious metals in a watch because hers take abuse. She's not going to like having to wind a mechanical everyday, she won't like an automatic because I know she'll be frustrated when she lets it sit for too long and it stops. She also won't like it being a few minutes off after a bit. She is a "I want it to tell me the time accurately, look nice and not have to deal with it" type. Nothing more. So I decided to pick out something based on not only what I knew she wanted and liked, but what she would and can also appreciate.

Fast forward 3 weeks before Christmas, I have stainless two-tone women's Bulova precisionist sitting in the closet for her when she mentions to me while we're out to dinner, "I think with my next commission check I'm going to get myself a nice watch." I ask, What do you mean by 'nice'? She replies, "A Rolex or Cartier". Any particular reason why one of those? "I just want something that is great quality. I feel like I've been doing well and that I deserve it." I tell myself great, I already got her a Bulova and now she wants a luxury watch...

Christmas comes, I give it to her with the disclaimer that I was bought before a certain conversation we had but can return it if she wants. Opens it... and is ecstatic. "It's perfect!" (Now, neither of us are ones who BS to make you feel better if we don't like something.) Huh? WTF are you talking about? You just told me less than a month ago you want a Rolex or Cartier. "Oh, I don't give a crap about any of that. I just wanted something that looks nice. I'll get a bag I want instead. You know what you're buying so I'm sure it's fine. I didn't think of one with the date, I like that."

... you can't make this stuff up sometimes. Avoided a $5K purchase with a $100 one.

The moral of my probably needlessly longwinded story - get some more information or tighten the scope of your search.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A few thoughs:

1) Get ahead of the curve...buy a used classic mechanical...have it serviced/restored. Do not get any date/day functions...too much trouble if not worn daily by a watch nut.
2) Get a decent new quartz. I think Citizen and Seiko rule the day here. Eco -drive even.
3) Perhaps a nice used Tag-Heuer quartz...T-H make fine watches (people here are too snobby for them) ...they have a lot of brand recognition. Your gal will know them as better watch
4) If you work hard on Ebay you can stray in the $300 zone and get a beautiful used watch. That was closer to $1000 when new.
5) Seiko mechanical is awesome intro to mech watches for $100-$150.
6) Vintage Bulova / Caravelle

I just bought 2 watches - looked as new for under $300 for my wife: 1968 Omega Dynamic and a Tag-Heuer Formula 1(vintage 1990) --- she was so pleased with both. Dressy & Sporty.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts