WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thought I'd share this not so common alarm PW with you,............ now starts the search for the movement/watch maker, quite a few choices with this one, & the search continues ;)
I saw this sort of hand setter on a E. Blancpain & Fils. pocket watch somewhere. come to think of it, there was a little pin sticking out of the edge of that balance wheel too.
Can't see any Moritz Kohn makers marks :(
Time for some more reading & learning :)

Later..........

Attachments

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
come to think of it, there was a little pin sticking out of the edge of that balance wheel too.
That is normally the sign of a cylinder escapement (but perhaps also used elsewhere) Acts to ensure the balance wheel doesn't go round too far on each cycle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you both for the interest.

Marrick.....It was exactly one of those once before someone did a pretty good job trying to rescue it, they put a fair bit of work into the re-dial & lumed hands, but I'm hoping to get a replica dial same as in your link made & match up the hands to those too ;) I've only seen two photos(until now ;) on the web of these.

I'm back to the German angle at the moment because of the 'R' on the crown for alarm, Unicum translates into unique, & now there looks like a miss stamp of a 'D' on the plate (maybe Deutschland) There's a '2' as well but no other marks visible anywhere else.

The slightest touch & this movement just keeps ticking :)

Mirius.......:) now i see the stop pin 180 degrees opposite on the pillar, thanks for the learning ;)

Here's some more photo's as I had a bit of time thanks to the rain.

later..........

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've found it gentlemen :) ........the hunch may have turned out well after all ;)

I'm hoping one of you is better at working Espacenet database than I, & can get an English version of the original documents on here some how for us all to read. I'll keep trying but for now this is the best I can do. Brevet CH16675 (A).
I'm still looking to see if there's any more brevets etc. as this is more for a alarm clock set-up.

Later............

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally Got a little spare puzzle time to myself last night to clean & inspect, 3 outta 4 jewels chipped/cracked so guess I'll have to up my skills a few levels, & tools ;). I've left the bumps/marks etc. as polishing them out will also remove the engine turning/lathe marks & I like to see the hands on beginnings of these older PWs, they may not be as pretty as some, but I like to see how it all started ;)
Just a clean & most of the dial side screw heads de burred, will do all the others later when I re-blue them all & fit the dial/hand etc.
& back together safe for now until I get time to revisit this project & finish it, I don't like leaving them in pieces for months just in case ;)
Thought I'd share again :) Projects on hold for a few months now while I get a replica dail made, fingers crossed all the measuring pays off :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Outstanding thread.
Great work and most interesting
A

Reactions: RTB

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your positive reactions & interest, I'm happy others enjoy these old mysteries as well. :)

I've finally sort of got the translation too...............guess that explains the '2' stamp as well,.... part ID & placement, most Swiss makers used letters ;)
I'm thinking it's one of his design variations even more now. I'll update the input when the project goes forward again later.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
very cool.
Kudos to you
A

Reactions: RTB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts