WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when looking at a Tag SLR Caliber S I noticed that the chrono sweep hand didn't zero out, it was off by 1/2 a second. When I pointed this out to the salesperson she said that they have had that happen before and that their watchmakers can reset it. Now this isn't a cheap watch, wouldn't you think that things like this would be caught by their QC dept? Here is the watch.

http://tinyurl.com/yk5kxyp

Then I looked at the new Tag F1 and noticed that the sweep hand didn't hit the markers, it hit dead center in between the markers. Again this was a surprise, I know that all brands out there could have issues with their watches here and there but these were the first 2 watches I picked up.

On a positive note I went over to the Breitling section located in another room so that they don't get cheaper watch cooties and I was looking at my grail, a Breitling Super Avenger! What a watch but again another surprise. It had gone up $500.00 on the button within 6 months.
Sometimes I wonder if there really is a recession with price increases like that and a guy to my right buying a Planet Ocean plus he wanted the original Omega leather strap to go with the watch. The rest of the store was very busy! And people were buying!
Anyhoo, I walked out of the store with a brand new Breitling catalogue (that's how we spell catalogue here in Canada) which is 192 pages of beautiful watches and that's how I spent last night with my daughters and ex-wife. They shopped for clothes and I looked in all of the watch stores, it was a great night. :-!

The main reason for this thread was to see if you have ever encountered the same thing when looking at mid to high end watches. Again, it just came as a surprise to me that the 2 Tags I looked at both had QC issues. I just found it a little strange.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Alberta just thinks it's not in a recession - it'll hit us hard when our deficit spending catches up to us next year.

Not to get political though - I have noticed quality control issues on high end watches as well, and I've heard similar stories about Tag Heuer. Which is too bad because they make really nice looking pieces.

As to price increases... don't get me started. Omega has priced their watches out of my reach at least 3 times since I started liking them. Rolex is even worse. Obviously they're able to do this economically - they're still making money. But it's a little frustrating - though it does make high quality, mid level watch companies like Hamilton, Oris, Ball, Seiko, and Tissot look much more appealing.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alberta just thinks it's not in a recession - it'll hit us hard when our deficit spending catches up to us next year.

But it's a little frustrating - though it does make high quality, mid level watch companies like Hamilton, Oris, Ball, Seiko, and Tissot look much more appealing.
Point well made, we do seem to be affected differently from the rest of North America currently but that could soon change.

Your second point couldn't be more correct, when a company like Breitling or Rolex bumps up their prices like they have they reduce the number of potential customers exponentially. I think it's a big mistake especially since Rolex (and this is just my opinion so don't let this comment start a riot) is over priced for what you get, plus their designs do not appeal to me in the least. I guess these companies don't know we are in a recession either.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Your second point couldn't be more correct, when a company like Breitling or Rolex bumps up their prices like they have they reduce the number of potential customers exponentially. I think it's a big mistake especially since Rolex (and this is just my opinion so don't let this comment start a riot) is over priced for what you get, plus their designs do not appeal to me in the least. I guess these companies don't know we are in a recession either.
Agreed. And you know know, if I was a millionaire, I'd probably have no problem buying a Rolex Sub for $6000 CND (+tax). I do like them. But when I think that, for the price of that one watch, I could also have:

a) My other 'pie in the sky dive watch' - the DOXA 1000T;
b) brand new SCUBA equipment incl. a BCD, Regulator AND Dive computer; and
c) A week long vacation out to the West Coast for some open ocean diving.

I can't help but think that the Submariner is several times too expensive for my tastes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
For 6K you could have one hell of a holiday for 4. One of my customers picked up on an all inclusive deal to the Mayan Riviera for 4 people including flights for $5400.00.
damn, that's a sweet deal. I usually don't even look for higher end watches at AD's, i usually go through the "grey market" of used stuff. I bought a slightly used Tag Heuer 2000 for much less than what it listed for originally, and i couldn't be happier with it. I plan on buying a rolex datejust the same way because that was the watch that got me interested in watches, so i have to buy one at some point for sentimental value

·
12,043 Posts
I have seen very expensive watches with dead batteries, and other issues, at AD's, mostly banged up cases and scratched crystals. Most quartz chronos have a reset procedure so if the battery dies while using the chrono it can be reset to zero. I would not say the watch had QC problems until I preformed the reset and made sure it was bad.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
It's not just TAGs either. I dislike ADs immensely and their snooty sales people are only one of the issues. The others are addressed here - watches that have been mishandled and abused, and the idea that for an excessive amount the watch isn't perfect. Part of what I expect from a high end AD is that they will have inspected their stock PRIOR to offering it for sale and either sent it back or had their own in house APPROVED WATCHMAKER do the little fix. Don't get me wrong, you can get a bum watch from Gray Market, but then you can also spend a couple of dollars and get it cleaned or hands aligned and still come out WAY ahead.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen very expensive watches with dead batteries, and other issues, at AD's, mostly banged up cases and scratched crystals. Most quartz chronos have a reset procedure so if the battery dies while using the chrono it can be reset to zero. I would not say the watch had QC problems until I preformed the reset and made sure it was bad.
This was actually sweep hand that was offset (chrono hand) I did the reset procedure and it wouldn't reset to the 12:00 position. This would have to be adjusted by a watchmaker.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not just TAGs either. I dislike ADs immensely and their snooty sales people are only one of the issues. The others are addressed here - watches that have been mishandled and abused, and the idea that for an excessive amount the watch isn't perfect. Part of what I expect from a high end AD is that they will have inspected their stock PRIOR to offering it for sale and either sent it back or had their own in house APPROVED WATCHMAKER do the little fix. Don't get me wrong, you can get a bum watch from Gray Market, but then you can also spend a couple of dollars and get it cleaned or hands aligned and still come out WAY ahead.
I agree Robert, I bought my Seiko SKA383 that way and saved a ton of money, it was actually about 1/2 price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts