WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanna vent to those who enjoy watches. So, I'm sure a lot of you were excited to see what was released from your favorite watchmakers. Mine was Panerai. I had my fingers crossed for a nice Luminor or Submersible. I was literally so excited for months, but they let me down tremendously (not surprised).

While the Luminors they released had very nice dials, they are branding this BS "E-Steel" crap. Logically, it makes NO sense to me and is a pseudo attempt at being more environmentally conscious. I wouldn't be surprised if Italy had introduced some sort of Business tax credit for "green initiatives" and this is how Panerai flew under the radar while maintaining their profit margin, if not increasing it (based on the price they charge - not raw material).

I mean, think of it, with 98% of the watch being from recycled material, weighing in at approx 140 grams; a run of 1000 watches would total 300lbs. That means that Panerai is recycling the equivalent of 5-10 linear feet of a construction I-beam. How inspiring. It would make so much more sense to start or participate in a meaningful initiative where you contribute to a cause directly.

Meanwhile, companies like IWC are over here innovating and patenting new technology like the BMG spring that suspends the entire movement, while pursuing meaningful initiatives without announcing it on the dial.

I guess I'm just really irritated that I've wanted a Panerai for like a decade now and when I'm really wanting to pull the trigger, they just make me shake my head. I mean, I'm all about buying what I like but it makes it difficult with stuff like this (few previous recent instances) and a CEO who I personally don't care for.

By the way, this isn't meant to be an IWC vs. Panerai thing, but IWC is likely my next move. So, I was thinking about "downgrading" my Panerai choice from a Submersible to a Base Luminor so I can scratch that itch and then move on to IWC/Glashutte Original/ect in the future.

I'm sure a lot of you were let down by some of the lackluster releases - like Rolex swapping straps. If so, tell me what you were hoping for and what let you down.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
427 Posts
I feel like nothing was really spectacular:// if something the Tudor was quite alright but that’s about it.

although I must say I’m not the biggest IWC fan but they’ve made some massive improvements to their bracelets. Great brand!

Reactions: VNLK

·
Registered
28,852 Posts
Breitling....oh yeah baby, love those new Chronos.

Panerai Bronzo in 42mil....wow what a great opportunity for smaller wristed Paneristi.

Rolex....meh......what happened to the big “50th” Exp2 upgrade we were all waiting for?

Tudor....still no reissue Subby that everyone would buy, but we have now got a puke green 58 at £14000.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Weird. Most steel is already mostly recycled material. They take some ore and some scrap and throw it in the furnace, then adjust chemical composition based on the grade they need.

I even read in a book on engineering failures how one nuclear power plant specified steel with no recycled content for pipes and it turned out to be weaker than steel with recycled scrap in it.

Bummer that they let you down this year.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Breitling....oh yeah baby, love those new Chronos.

Panerai Bronzo in 42mil....wow what a great opportunity for smaller wristed Paneristi.

Rolex....meh......what happened to the big “50th” Exp2 upgrade we were all waiting for?

Tudor....still no reissue Subby that everyone would buy, but we have now got a puke green 58 at £14000.
I think the reason we'll not see one of those is that Tudor's Submariner is the Black Bay - nine years into building the brand, and basically turning Tudor into the Black Bay Company. There's a lot of brand equity in that, which they wouldn't be able to maintain if they essentially invalidated Black Bay by launching a virtually identical watch called Submariner. And if they did simply rename all the Black Bays as "Submariner", Rolex would throw a pink fit :)

There was some very interesting new watches launched but many of them happened outside W&W too. The new Zenith, FC's oscillator, some lovely new Minervas (although they insist on calling them Montblancs).

The non-Due Panerai 42s are nice, IWC's in-house chrono Pilot looks like a home run, Breitling's rattrapante, fab. But Hoodinkee has basically made it the Rolex and Tudor show, and that's where many people seem to get their worldviews from.

·
Premium Member
34,616 Posts
I don't might the new Breit Chronographs, but nothing else did much for me.

Same old, same old stuff, OR something new and totally over the top......

·
Premium Member
69,672 Posts
I mean, think of it, with 98% of the watch being from recycled material, weighing in at approx 140 grams; a run of 1000 watches would total 300lbs. That means that Panerai is recycling the equivalent of 5-10 linear feet of a construction I-beam. How inspiring. It would make so much more sense to start or participate in a meaningful initiative where you contribute to a cause directly.
Hadn’t thought of it in terms of reused RSJs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird. Most steel is already mostly recycled material. They take some ore and some scrap and throw it in the furnace, then adjust chemical composition based on the grade they need.

I even read in a book on engineering failures how one nuclear power plant specified steel with no recycled content for pipes and it turned out to be weaker than steel with recycled scrap in it.

Bummer that they let you down this year.
That is really interesting! Didn’t know that.

My first thought was to compare it to dumbbells, but I felt that a beam would be a better visual haha.

I’ve since found out that the 98% recyclable figure is just a concept consisting of 30 parts. The Luminor with eSteel is only around 60%, which makes the amount of steel recycled more like 180lbs per 1000 units (Or a beam closer to 5-6ft lol)

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
I had planned to not get any new watches this year 🤞.......nothing changed that this week, so I am happy.
The one release at W&W that caught my eye, but had very little coverage was the Hermes H08 Graphene......maybe someday in the future.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Nothing that I was hoping to see came to be. The new 36mm Explorer is the only new release that I personally would both desire to own and be able to afford (if not actually acquire). Not to say there weren't some cool pieces shown. The Hublot all-sapphire watch was very cool. The new Aquaracers look nice, but too big for my skinny wrists. Same with the new Black Bay chronos.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
While everyone is jumping up and down for the $8,200 Breitling Premier Chrono, and I do like the look and dimensions, it is setting zero new ground in my opinion. Does it have to set new ground? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Politics and virtue signaling, personally and professionally, are at all time high. While this is a small rather silly example, I generally avoid companies and products who feel the need to get political. In other words, I hear you and I get it.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
Is Pistachio not new ground? Or were you thinking it looked minty?
I'm awaiting the new ground-up Hazelnut version.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I just wanna vent to those who enjoy watches. So, I'm sure a lot of you were excited to see what was released from your favorite watchmakers. Mine was Panerai. I had my fingers crossed for a nice Luminor or Submersible. I was literally so excited for months, but they let me down tremendously (not surprised).

While the Luminors they released had very nice dials, they are branding this BS "E-Steel" crap. Logically, it makes NO sense to me and is a pseudo attempt at being more environmentally conscious. I wouldn't be surprised if Italy had introduced some sort of Business tax credit for "green initiatives" and this is how Panerai flew under the radar while maintaining their profit margin, if not increasing it (based on the price they charge - not raw material).

Meanwhile, companies like IWC are over here innovating and patenting new technology like the BMG spring that suspends the entire movement, while pursuing meaningful initiatives without announcing it on the dial.

I guess I'm just really irritated that I've wanted a Panerai for like a decade now and when I'm really wanting to pull the trigger, they just make me shake my head. I mean, I'm all about buying what I like but it makes it difficult with stuff like this (few previous recent instances) and a CEO who I personally don't care for.

By the way, this isn't meant to be an IWC vs. Panerai thing, but IWC is likely my next move. So, I was thinking about "downgrading" my Panerai choice from a Submersible to a Base Luminor so I can scratch that itch and then move on to IWC/Glashutte Original/ect in the future.

I'm sure a lot of you were let down by some of the lackluster releases - like Rolex swapping straps. If so, tell me what you were hoping for and what let you down.
I really don't like greenwashing at all, and I sense that this is kind of what it is. As you note, this is really just recycling a nominal amount of material that would have likely been recycled or reused in some other capacity anyway.

I'd rather they took the lead from other companies - if you want to 'give back' just make a nice co-branded special edition with a well known and well run environmental charity. Omega does it with their Nekton SE, Doxa did it with their Project Aware SEs, Oris does it all over the place... and I think it works well. It gives a little additional public awareness to the charities, it provides a bit of extra money into their coffers, and it gives the buyer the warm-fuzzies by allowing them to indulge in a wasteful hobby while still 'doing something' for the planet. I know I like those warm-fuzzies, even if, deep down, I know I'd be doing more by just donating the entire sum of the watch to the charity...

Reactions: MegaMilez

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
I don't quite understand the DateJust bamboo edition.
is it just printed on?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I would of liked to see gold and silver bracelets to match the new gold and silver Tudor BB58's.

I was let down to see no matching bracelet option and I think it would be unacceptable to put a stainless bracelet on either.

Tudor does have a two-tone gold & stainless bracelet, but where it makes contact with the watch is stainless so it would wear the gold or silver case of the watch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts