WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This method does not work on the date function, well technically it does work but it isn't as practical or feasible most of the time. It does require the use of an outside timing device, ideally a smartphone.

Ok, so your watch has been sitting for a while and its mainspring has unwound and its no longer running. Wherever it is, turn it so it is facing up, with the least amount of movement possible. We dont want he rotor to move at all if possible, or any other functions or complications to activate or change. If it has a chrono function, reset everything to zero with as little pressure or movement as possible. With the face up and the second hand frozen, note the exact time, including the exact fraction of the second if possible. Write it down clearly and legibly, I recommend a dark colored sharpie on a double size index card, unlined side.

Now, on your smartphone, set a reminder for five minutes before the time that is on the index card, if you have the option of a second reminder, set that to an hour prior. Or set it any way you prefer, so long as you have time to assure access to where your sitting watch is located, where you left it after you noted the time it displayed when it last stopped.

When your five minute reminder goes off, approach your watch, but do not touch it. Position yourself so that you can reach the watch easily. You will be waiting till approximately 2-3 seconds before the designated time, depending on your personal watch deployment speed. At that exact time, pick up your watch and fasten it, as quickly and efficiently as possible. Make sure it is strapped in securely and extend your watch wearing arm and begin rotating your wrist in a rotor wining manner. I like to alternate between rotating and swinging back and forth.

The idea is to acivate and begin winding the movement at the exact time that the watch is set to. Following these steps you will never have to bother pulling the crown of your watch out, something I personally do not enjoy doing.

Thanks in advance for the likes if you found this useful, they are much appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how cumbersome. if i thought pulling crown to set the time was too much of a task, i wouldnt have bought an automatic watch.
I think quite the opposite is the case, people buy automatics partially to avoid pulling out the crown and winding by hand. To my mind this is exactly how an automatic watch ought to be used.

lol :)

What if it stops in the middle of the night ?
Thats not a problem unless its a 24 hour dial which the vast majority arent. So if it stopped at 3:13:33 AM, just restart it at 3:13:33 PM. Great question by the way, I meant to address that in my original post but my notes got scrambled.

·
Banned
4,234 Posts
Thats not a problem unless its a 24 hour dial which the vast majority arent. So if it stopped at 3:13:33 AM, just restart it at 3:13:33 PM. Great question by the way, I meant to address that in my original post but my notes got scrambled.
Unless the watch has a date feature and AM/PM counts. What you described would have the date change at 12PM.

EDIT: Also in the case of watches with a date feature you would have to pull the crown every so often to adjust the date for shorter or longer months.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Quite a few of mine are date - so just wouldn't work for me - apart from the date being (almost certainly) wrong, it would be even more annoying to then find it changed date at noon (and it was still wrong) lol
I'll stick to picking a watch up , setting it and going :)

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
It's actually probably of way more use to use a mobile phone alarm to remind you when re-starting mechanical clocks ! - they are a pain if you have to wind them on to set the time, stopping every half and full hour to let the chimes cycle through.

BUT don't try and pick one up , just give the pendulum a push lol

I have a better solution....Watch Winder.
Better - just wear the watch :)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless the watch has a date feature and AM/PM counts. What you described would have the date change at 12PM.

EDIT: Also in the case of watches with a date feature you would have to pull the crown every so often to adjust the date for shorter or longer months.
Quite a few of mine are date - so just wouldn't work for me - apart from the date being (almost certainly) wrong, it would be even more annoying to then find it changed date at noon (and it was still wrong) lol
I'll stick to picking a watch up , setting it and going :)
It does come down to personal preference, myself I can never trust a date on a mechanical watch because in the back of my mind I know that theres good odds it wasnt set right most likely. Its just too much work to bother with for me, I just use my watches to tell time.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
It does come down to personal preference - I just use my watches to tell time.
In the work environment (for me at least) a date watch gets used several times a day - but then not all my watches are date, so then I have to revert to the bottom corner of my PC screen ;-)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
This might be the most ridiculous post I"ve ever read, talk about taking a 1 step process and turning it into a 20 step process... it's ineffienct and wastes more time having to plot out all these details, seriously... come on.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.