WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a similar post last week in the Rolex forum, but wanted to see what readers of this forum might be able to tell me.

I have an older art-deco rectangular cased Rolex. The watch is rose gold. the hands are blued steel, and it has the seconds in a sub dial. The face is interesting because the hour markers are polished into the mat surface. I am not sure what the face is made of, it looks like it is a copper color, but may be rose gold also. The watch is hand wind, and seemed to have a reserve of 45-50 hours.

Originally the watch was brought back from Europe at the end of WWII. I not sure of the actual story, but as I heard it, my grandfather's friend (or it could have been a brother) brought it back and gave it to my grandfather as a young man. I remember seeing it at his house just lose in a drawer on an expandable bracelet. Later it was given to my dad, and he had it serviced to the way it is now. recently my dad gave it to me.

For all of these years I don't think any of us have known anything about what kind of Rolex this is or even what the style is called. I opened it up to take some pictures to post on WUS and was amazed at how nice the movement looked.

Any information about this style of Rolex (When it might have been made, information about the type of movement, etc) anything would be very much appreciated.

WP_20130105_009.jpg

WP_20130105_006.jpg

WP_20130105_005.jpg

WP_20130105_013.jpg

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Most of the Rolex gurus are more likely to see this if posted in the Rolex forum. It's a whole separate reality....

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This is so called Rolex Caliper caliber.Could be from size 7 3/4''' to 10 1/2'''.Try to measure yours so we could tell for sure.This is actualy a pocket watch caliber,so it could be open face or hunter.Watch is from 1930's but I'm not sure if this crown on your dial is authentic.Rgds!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can't help much on it, but that's a pretty high grade movement in there. Most of the 1930's Rolexes have lower grade generic swiss movements, but this is a very fine quality chronometer. Nice watch!

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
It is a chronometer grade movement which was also found in the oyster with manual winding chronomters as well in some of the rare observatory chronometer wristwatches made by rolex. It is a pretty rare and high grade movement. Rolex marked crowns started to appear with in the late 40's not before

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for looking at my watch.

I agree that the crown may not me original, it looks like it may be yellow gold rather that rose gold. It is interesting to know that the original crown would not have been marked. The strap and buckle are obviously not original. Over time if I wanted to try to buy a buckle that would go with a Rolex from this time period, should it also be unmarked? or would it have been a rose gold with the Rolex crown?

I know what the oyster models are, but is there a specific name for this style of case or basic design?

I really do appreciate everyone taking a look and telling me more about the watch passed down from my grandfather, I had tried to find information through Google but just did not even know what to add to the query. All I could do was look at a lot of pictures and try to find similar ones... which I did not have much luck with.

By the way there was one post about the size of the movement, I did not open the case again, but the width of the case minus the crown was 1.125 inches, sorry I did not have any kind of scale when I took the pictures. (by the way I took all of the pictures with my Nokia Lumia 920 cell phone. I though that worked really well for a phone.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts