WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I’m only aware of an Explorer. However that’s not to say he couldn’t have owned a Submariner. Given the recent spate of high value celebrity watch auctions, I would want to see proper verification before I’d consider buying. Then again, who am I kidding? A genuine Fleming owned Rolex is so far out of my budget that it doesn’t really matter.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know he had a few different watches, he seemed to favour dials with lots of lume, but he also had several white dial watches

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I see that came from a NY Post story. I think it's a commonplace journalistic error. Niece probably said "Rolex" since only watch freaks care about the specifics, and the reporter, "knowing" the Bond Rolex is a sub, proceeded to write it that way. Seems especially likely given that only one Rolex is mentioned, and she has put the Explorer (without its original dial) in several shows.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read that Fleming examined the equipment of 2 Italian Navy Divers and he would have noticed the Luminous Panerai divers they were wearing. It’s common knowledge that these Rolex powered watches were the first true divers. It’s very possible that he saw the Rolex movement and remembered that for his second novel.

It’s as valid a theory as anything put out by Dell Deaton.

All Dell Deaton has been able to prove is that Fleming owned a 1962 manufactured Rolex Explorer. Everything else is guessing.

All I know is that there’s pictures of him wearing older military style watches, including what looks like a Rolex small black faced Oyster on leather strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I love it.

A person who has the actual watch in her possession says it is X, she has it there, I presume she has retained the ability to read, the model name is on the dial - the community’s reaction?

She must be wrong.

***** wept.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
All I know is that there’s pictures of him wearing older military style watches, including what looks like a Rolex small black faced Oyster on leather strap.
Don't tell CSG he wore it on a leather strap. He might accuse Mr. Fleming of being too poor to replace a broken bracelet. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love it.

A person who has the actual watch in her possession says it is X, she has it there, I presume she has retained the ability to read, the model name is on the dial - the community’s reaction?

She must be wrong.

***** wept.
Not what I am saying at all Dell Deaton has correctly identified a 1962 Rolex Explorer but claimed it’s the only Rolex he wore give me a break. He references the Explorer when he breaks his old Rolex in OHMSS, my points is that I have photos of Fleming wearing other Rolex watches. Just because the Explorer found after Anne Fleming died doesn’t mean he didn’t own others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts