WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have numerous watches whose design has stood the test of time, in continuous production for at least a few decades and with only very minor changes over the years. We have iconic dive watches like the Rolex Submariner and the Longines Legend Diver; and iconic chronographs such as the Omega Speedmaster and the Breitling Navitimer. But do we have such a thing as the iconic watch with a moonphase function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
So right....Nothing really Iconic in a Moon phase I think it has to do with popularity.(not a popular function)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Of course, we do have an iconic moon phase watch. It's design remained same for almost 30 years. And it has tons of other complications, such as full perpetual calendar, chrono, 7 days power reserve, double moon phase (showing the moon phase for Northern & Southern hemispheres)...

The IWC Portuguese perpetual calendar

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW5032/

Its price tag however makes me cry, whenever I do remember this watch.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
993 Posts
Another picture, which you can see the chrono hands, at 9 and 12 o'clock subdials.

This watch has always been my holy grail. Such a beautiful watchmakers engineering masterpiece.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,792 Posts
We have numerous watches whose design has stood the test of time, in continuous production for at least a few decades and with only very minor changes over the years. We have iconic dive watches like the Rolex Submariner and the Longines Legend Diver; and iconic chronographs such as the Omega Speedmaster and the Breitling Navitimer. But do we have such a thing as the iconic watch with a moonphase function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It really does not make much sense to call those designs icons or iconic. If you are saying they are representative symbols of dive watches, chronographs or moon phase watches there are plenty of others that meet that criteria. If you are using iconic to mean the first or most popular then why not say it. Those are popular designs that may have been originated by one company but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really does not make much sense to call those designs icons or iconic. If you are saying they are representative symbols of dive watches, chronographs or moon phase watches there are plenty of others that meet that criteria. If you are using iconic to mean the first or most popular then why not say it. Those are popular designs that may have been originated by one company but that's about it.
My query is as I put it, a watch with the moonphase function that has been around for a while and has remained relatively unchanged in its design throughout the years, that it has been around for a while would suggest that it is popular or maybe even the most popular, but not necessarily the first. I suppose the inspiration behind my query are those lists of iconic watches that come out from time to time that often lists out dive watches, chronographs, dress watches etc but never a watch with a moonphase function.

So if you asked the WUS community what they thought was the iconic chronograph, I would not be surprised if many said the Omega Speedmaster, or for a dive watch - the Rolex Submariner. Therefore, I wonder if there is such a thing as an iconic watch with a moonphase complication. Based on the responses so far, there doesn't appear to be a clear consensus on the matter, but there are 2 votes for the IWC Perpetual Calendar above.

Reactions: BarisKiris

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
another vote for the JLC MUT Moonphase. That is one watch that everyone recognizes.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Probably Breguet and JLC MUTM.

That said, it is really the most useless complication of them all, so that might explain why there isnt an "iconic" one as such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts