WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum and I'd like to ask for some opinions before I spend my hard earned.
I'm looking for a new watch to wear to work and I'd like to spend $150.
My requirements are: No more than $250 and Must have a second hand. In addition the second hand MUST land precisely on the indices. I don't really care if it's auto or quartz but I prefer neat and accurate.
I'm happy to buy a watch at the bottom of the range i.e. a $75 seiko (shown below)
I'd love to have something like the G. Gerlach PZL Pilots watch I saw on WUS but I'll try to stick with the following style.

My ideal is the Gorgeous Seiko SARB065.

The Hamilton ThinoMatic 42mm - still out of my range (@$500) but I'd like something that looks like it...

I've found another Hamilton (Jazzmaster) that pushes my envelope to $300 but I'd rather not swing it right now.

Ok, we're getting closer with this Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor at $240 - Automatic and Sapphire and nice customer service but.. The big black letters are so... big. (a little ugly compared to the SARB065 no?)

This Tissot Tradition is the watch that raised my limit in the first place. It's simple, sapphire and accurate, right? But it's just over $200.

Tissot T-Classic PR 100 (#T049.410.16.037.01) Quartz - Sapphire Crystal $175ish but kinda dopey looking hands on this one.

Ok, finally... we're in my price range. I'm willing to give this Orient watch a shot. What do you think. It's not sapphire from what I've read but it's got a glass back, it's automatic and it's affordable.

It's the Orient Chicane and it's about $130 - seems I'm leaning this way .. if not out of curiosity.

What's Kinetic... does that mean I don't need a battery... here's a Seiko that just breaks the $100 mark. The SKA487P2 is pretty good looking from the front anyway. Can't see the sides.

And finally ... for only a few bucks there's this Seiko SGEE41P2 - around $75 hardlex and quartz.

I left out the Citizen BM7100-something-er-other because I couldn't find a white/silver face... and the Citizen I did buy recently, was returned because the second hand hit exactly between the marks... and Citizen replied they only align them on the top of the line... which dissuaded me from their watches.
I'd really like that Pilots watch.. or the SARB beauty but I'm happy to spend $150 or so right now and worry about saving up another time.
I think watches are great.
I'd like to add that I would most like to have/use an expansion band because I have to wash my hands 100 times a day at work (hospital).
Thanks for looking.. .I hope you enjoyed the range of watches from $75 to $600+ that all seem to look very much the same. If I had to pick based on my budget today... and my curiosity to try one.. it'd be the Orient.
Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to post this in Affordable Watches... if an admin would like to move it, and delete this comment.. This could be my first and hopefully only newb mistake.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think these might be out of production now: Sea-Gull M177. But I see them used for about $100, and the style seems in your wheelhouse. The most well-regarded Chinese brand, I believe. (Borrowed pic from Sea-Gull M 177 Automatic Classic Styled Watch Review)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I do like that Sea-Gull.. found a wait list on eBay for the white dial. $123 thanks.
Make sure you do a little research on that seller. He has some bad feedback related to that specific item. It may not be his fault, because sometimes the customers are the problem, but see if anyone in the Chinese Watch Forum has dealt with him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, I like the military (seiko 5 SNZG07) for some reason my old eyes see the white dials better. Do you know what number that one is... I like it. I'm getting anxious to buy but waiting ... the Orient is weird looking on a metal band and not available in leather.
I do plan to put it on metal, or hopefully flexible/expansion band. The Sea-Gull I found on eBay but no available in white either.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
yep, I like the military (seiko 5 SNZG07) for some reason my old eyes see the white dials better. Do you know what number that one is... I like it. I'm getting anxious to buy but waiting ... the Orient is weird looking on a metal band and not available in leather.
I do plan to put it on metal, or hopefully flexible/expansion band. The Sea-Gull I found on eBay but no available in white either.
SNKA01K1 and at 63 bucks you can easily get a strap to go with it. I don't know what size you're looking for but this watch is 38mm. A bit small by today's fashion.

If readability is an issue, you may do better with a black dial and light colored hands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Colin. Do you happen to know why some dials look "white" and others look 'cream' colored... like the one you linked to?
I doubt I'll beat that price... still looking through vintage stuff on eBay. May just go this cheap route since reading this site has got me wanting at least a dozen watches now.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Thanks Colin. Do you happen to know why some dials look "white" and others look 'cream' colored... like the one you linked to?
No I don't; I don't actually own the watch to give any more input on it. They may be slightly different models. You may want to ask in the Seiko & Citizen forum.
...since reading this site has got me wanting at least a dozen watches now.
Uh, oh. You're hooked. Yup, we're enablers! :-d

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's a blurb from Overstock.com about Kinetic watch movements:

Kinetic movement is sometimes called automatic-quartz movement, and kinetic watches combine the best elements of automatic and quartz watches. A kinetic watch has a self-winding movement, just like an automatic, but it uses a quartz timekeeping mechanism. The capacitor transfers energy to a quartz crystal, which vibrates at a high frequency to run the gears at a consistent rate. Automatic movement is a form of mechanical movement, so it uses a hair-spring and a balance wheel to keep time. Quartz movement is much more accurate than mechanical movement; on average, a quartz movement loses a few seconds a month, while a mechanical movement loses a few minutes. Read our
watch movement buying guide
for more information on how watches work.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Kinetic movements are an ordinary quartz, but with a rotor that generates electricity to fill the rechargeable battery or capacitor, depending on the year and model. Some people love them, but the consensus has been, more or less, that solar powered has been a better solution. And at any rate, if you're into mechanicals, it's nothing like one. Even the rotor isn't similar to an automatic rotor (there's no winding mechanism, obviously).

A lot of nice watches, but if you already love the best one, i.e., the Seiko, why not just get that?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with CitizenM. Assuming you haven't pulled the trigger by now (this thread is kind of old but I wanted to weigh in). If your budget is $150 right now, why not delay gratification and shoot for your first "grail". the SARB065 is a lovely watch and they pop up on the private forums from time to time in the $400-$450 range. That's triple your current budget, and totally within reason if you're of a mind to save up for your dream watch.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I'd recommend just saving up and getting that SARB, perhaps used if you need to. It is incredibly gorgeous for its price. If that doesn't sparkle with you, I'd suggest one of the blue handed Orients that are available around $200 or less (after discount, check Amazon instead of orientwatchusa.com, unless you've got the discount codes already).

The Hamiltons I'm sure will be great though, as well the Tissots.

If you're really, really luck, you might find an old Blue Spark, but these are pretty highly sought after:

It's an old version of the SARB that was a pretty big hit in its day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts