WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
seiko 5 is a solid choice. SARB033/35 is even better. just a little bit over your budget just add $50 more you can have it shipped to your door. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Orient, Seiko, VSA, and possibly some Hamilton's or Tissot's would probably offer the best value in your price range.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
I'm new to the watches business, and I already can't stop thinking about them ;-)
anyway I already got 2 quartz watches and I want a watch with a soul. I want something that will I will feel like I have a beating heart on my hand.
Well, I don't have a budget for something amazing, but what will you suggest for something in the range of max 350$?

I'm thinking about a Seiko 5, which from what I heard are great for the price. I could also try to search and buy a vintage watch but as a first I prefer new.

thank you :)
Even though I have many more autos than anything else, dont succumb to the marketing hype that automatics have "soul". They dont have a heart, or a soul or a spleen or a gall bladder. It is an interesting tool to tell time that can also look very nice. If a watch needs to be more expensive to buy, to work on, and be less accurate in order to have "soul" they can keep it. I like any watch because they are interesting little machines and maybe some are more interesting than others but thats it. I cant count how many times I have heard guys at the club talking about how they bought a Rolex for whatever stupid amount they paid for it and then fake being indignant that a service on it costs $600......but they have it done over and over and have to tell everybody in earshot about it. Automatics are different, not better than quartz or solar or kinetic. Only to marketing executives of expensive watches is something more complicated and less accurate, "better".

·
Registered
379 Posts
Even though I have many more autos than anything else, dont succumb to the marketing hype that automatics have "soul". They dont have a heart, or a soul or a spleen or a gall bladder. It is an interesting tool to tell time that can also look very nice. If a watch needs to be more expensive to buy, to work on, and be less accurate in order to have "soul" they can keep it. I like any watch because they are interesting little machines and maybe some are more interesting than others but thats it. I cant count how many times I have heard guys at the club talking about how they bought a Rolex for whatever stupid amount they paid for it and then fake being indignant that a service on it costs $600......but they have it done over and over and have to tell everybody in earshot about it. Automatics are different, not better than quartz or solar or kinetic. Only to marketing executives of expensive watches is something more complicated and less accurate, "better".
I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me an automatic has soul, just not a soul in the spiritual sense. Although (unless COSC) automatics can be inaccurate to within a few sec a day +/- up to 30sec per day, it is how all the gears work in harmony to keep the watch going. To me an automatic does have a soul, and in some sense of the word is a bit better than quartz. The reason being is that there really isn't much to a quarts movement, where as an automatic or even manual movement can have tons of parts to make it all work. Are they more expensive to maintain, absolutely, is it worth maintaining them, depends on the user. However I would be more inclined to toss my quartz watch in the trash if a simple battery change does not get it going, than tossing my automatic or manual wind in the trash because it isn't going. Though this is just my feeling on the subject and (as with many things) dependent on how much it would cost to simply replace the entire watch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you're interested in looking at the back of the watch, check out the Bulova 96A100 and others in the 96A1xx line. It's open heart, so you can see the balance wheel at work from the front (though I don't know if the design qualifies as 'clean'), and has a skeleton case back. It's fairly large and hefty, looks nicer in person than in most pictures. Powered by Miyota (8N24 maybe?), mine was about -10sec/day for a year until I decided to try to regulate it myself and made it worse :(. (But I have more watches now so I don't wear it consecutively for that long so the offset doesn't build up.) You could probably find one on ebay for ~150 - 200 new.

bulova_zpsdcaf811c.jpg

81Ak9007j6L._UL1500_.jpg

(not my pictures)

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me an automatic has soul, just not a soul in the spiritual sense. Although (unless COSC) automatics can be inaccurate to within a few sec a day +/- up to 30sec per day, it is how all the gears work in harmony to keep the watch going. To me an automatic does have a soul, and in some sense of the word is a bit better than quartz. The reason being is that there really isn't much to a quarts movement, where as an automatic or even manual movement can have tons of parts to make it all work. Are they more expensive to maintain, absolutely, is it worth maintaining them, depends on the user. However I would be more inclined to toss my quartz watch in the trash if a simple battery change does not get it going, than tossing my automatic or manual wind in the trash because it isn't going. Though this is just my feeling on the subject and (as with many things) dependent on how much it would cost to simply replace the entire watch.
Dont get me wrong, I love watches including automatics but I cant find any reason other than marketing to think that because something is more complicated to perform the same job, telling time, it is "better". It is essential to the survival of high end watch companies like Rolex that they keep their marketing myth going.....so they spend and have spent serious cash to keep the "mystique" of the automatic alive. Its simple economics and they have every right to do it. Change is difficult for some people and industries to accept. The buggy industry never recovered from the automobile and the watch industry went through massive upheaval in the early 70s. Those that adapted, survived, those that did not are gone. For the tradition of complicated automatic movements to continue, companies had to try and market them differently than they had before and thus you have people thinking that watches have soul and something that is more complicated, less reliable and less accurate is actually thought of as "better" in some circles. I like them because they are different than quartz' but I, in no way, think they are better.

Reactions: Ant29

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Even though I have many more autos than anything else, dont succumb to the marketing hype that automatics have "soul".
I wouldn't go so far and call it marketing hype when people feel an emotional connection to objects. That's not a marketing invention, but a tendency we have in us, and which the marketing extensively exploits. To me it's not like redefining a flaw as "character" (like you hear people say about vintage Italian sports cars or HD motorbikes etc.). The thing is, the escapement and the balance spring have the ticking and the motion that actually reminds very much of the heartbeat and the breathing of a small animal. Our cerebellum is still trapped in a stone age world were fine mechanics don't exist, but hunting small animals gave us the kick we needed for survival. So it's no surprise we speak in terms as "the watch comes alive" or "it's sleeping in the back of the watch box".. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OP please note that Seiko JDM s offer quality far above their price.....spending 350 odd dollars on a SARB 033 or 035 is actually a very good decision.......these watches might last you for a lifetime so why not go for something good......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you're interested in looking at the back of the watch, check out the Bulova 96A100 and others in the 96A1xx line. It's open heart, so you can see the balance wheel at work from the front (though I don't know if the design qualifies as 'clean'), and has a skeleton case back. It's fairly large and hefty, looks nicer in person than in most pictures. Powered by Miyota (8N24 maybe?), mine was about -10sec/day for a year until I decided to try to regulate it myself and made it worse :(. (But I have more watches now so I don't wear it consecutively for that long so the offset doesn't build up.) You could probably find one on ebay for ~150 - 200 new.

(not my pictures)
It's just gorgeous. I'll look into it. This one and the Orient Mako are my favorites so far. Maybe I'll get both :p

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I would recommend hunting down a lightly used Hamilton Khaki - should be within budget. It has a Hamilton-decorated ETA automatic movement and exhibition caseback so you can take a look at it.
1421410356.jpg

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Since it is your first, I strongly suggest not spending too much and stick to a $150 budget or less. Get any Seiko 5 you like or an Orient Mako, spend a bit of time with it first. Do not spring for the SARBs yet. As you go on, your tastes and preferences will evolve. You might also consider a Swatch Sistem51.

Here is my Seiko 5 SNK803 -

and here is my Mako -

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Any quartz watch you plan on trashing, just send it to me. Many new quartz movements can often be had for less than the price of a decent dinner. Why you would toss a watch that cheap to fix is beyond me...but when you're ready, hit me up. I'll send you my address.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
seiko 5 is a solid choice. SARB033/35 is even better. just a little bit over your budget just add $50 more you can have it shipped to your door. :)
Not so...SARB033/035 is about 335 shipped from Seiya right now. Did NO ONE click on the link I posted?? LOL. That's really a steal...I paid 450 for mine...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I love watches including automatics but I cant find any reason other than marketing to think that because something is more complicated to perform the same job, telling time, it is "better". It is essential to the survival of high end watch companies like Rolex that they keep their marketing myth going.....so they spend and have spent serious cash to keep the "mystique" of the automatic alive. Its simple economics and they have every right to do it. Change is difficult for some people and industries to accept. The buggy industry never recovered from the automobile and the watch industry went through massive upheaval in the early 70s. Those that adapted, survived, those that did not are gone. For the tradition of complicated automatic movements to continue, companies had to try and market them differently than they had before and thus you have people thinking that watches have soul and something that is more complicated, less reliable and less accurate is actually thought of as "better" in some circles. I like them because they are different than quartz' but I, in no way, think they are better.
Ahh, OK I see what you are saying. I agree that for those who are not educated the marketing will work. However, when I buy a watch, especially an automatic I look for more than it's an automatic. I look at the movement it is using, whether or not it is decorated and how well it is calibrated, I also especially like the sweeping of the seconds hand. Also, I absolutely despise when a clear case back is applied to a stock movement which is not decorated. Honestly I would rather see nothing at all, than a generic watch movement I feel it detracts from the overall fit and finish of a watch.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Any quartz watch you plan on trashing, just send it to me. Many new quartz movements can often be had for less than the price of a decent dinner. Why you would toss a watch that cheap to fix is beyond me...but when you're ready, hit me up. I'll send you my address.
Not saying I would toss it, however, I was simply saying that to me fixing a quartz watch just isn't cost effective for me, since most of my quartz watches were had for around $60 dollars where as my autos where round about $200 and up. Depending if bought used or new.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
It's just gorgeous. I'll look into it. This one and the Orient Mako are my favorites so far. Maybe I'll get both :p
Nothing wrong with these Orients, but to make an impressive start I by far recommend to buy 1 Sarb035 instead, as linked before, it is truly on a higher level.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts