WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My girlfriend recently surprised me with a vintage Omega piece, something I've wanted for a long time!
This is her birthday gift to me, the catch is, I need to wait until December to get my hands on it!
I managed to get her to take some snaps, otherwise I'd have withdrawal symptoms.

I'm really happy with her choice, fantastic looking "Geneve Automatic", great condition, tastefully restored.

She bought it from a reputable watch dealer/restorer in Melbourne and I'm really wanting to know more about it.

The dealer said this in an early 1960's example.

Any information (year, movement, history) would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

C

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
What a great gift. The watch and the girl are both keepers. My birthday is in Dec too.

I don't know enough to ID this watch. I would guess Seamaster since it has a screw on case back.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nope not a seamaster the geneve was it's own line even though they sometimes shared cases and there were some "seamaster geneve"s at one time but they were clearly marked as such

I'd guess it should have a 5xx series movement inside. should make for a nice watch to wear or collect.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
It's a Geneve (as it says) ST 165.0070 with a 552 movement in it. Omega Vintage database says it's from around 1969. That's a lovely watch to get as a gift. Congratulations, your partner has a good eye!

·
Registered
233 Posts
My Geneve is quite similar to that one. :)

However, my dial is one of the "Türler" scripted faces, as it was sold by the upscale desler, Turler. Mine also has a gold case, and a Seamaster case back.

I find these Geneve watches to be very handsome, and mine's currently undergoing restoration, but was STILL running excellently before I took it in. It had no front glass on it, plus the hour hand was severely bent. So these watches are very tough, and the movemeny shluld last as long as you will! I can't tell you much about your purchase except that it may outlive you! Mmm, and that it's quite handsome, too. If anyone knows anything about my watch, they should fill me in, ahah. Anyway, best of luck with your new acquisition!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts