WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all my 3 watches fall into the below $150 category, and the fact that they don't get enough equal air time, I was hoping that some of you might have some ideas on how to construct a DIY watch winder. I apologise if this topic has been discussed but I was unable to find it using the search function.

It just doesn't make sense to me to get a winder that might cost the price of all my three watches combined. Just something decent enough to wind two watches.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, I have no experience with watch winders. Here goes my idea anyway :p

You should be able to hook up a lazy susan at an angle with a cheap motor to keep it rotating. Just make sure to buy one that doesnt rotate too fast, but has enough torque to shift the weight of the watches. You can probably just use some dowels to keep the watches fixed to the lazy susan. I.e. just have the strap closed and slide it onto the dowel.

Hope that made sense?

Off the top of my head, thats the first thing that popped into my mind. Should be pretty cheap to construct too! When I have more than one automatic, I might go build one :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is it harmful to an automatic watch for it to not be worn frequently and have the movement start and stop again a number of times on a long-term scale?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lineman - Thanks for the link. It seems like a wonderful yet simple idea.

aceproceed - I personally do not think this is fatally harmful to a watch. I've searched this entire forum on the same topic and many also do not believe that it would hurt the watch and in fact go on to state that this propaganda is spread by watch winder manufacturers to get people to buy their incredibly expensive products using fear tactics. The thing about the oil settling and not lubricating the mechanics properly is over-exaggerated. Some have mentioned their seikos to be working very well again after laying for 3 years in the drawer untouched. Others have seen intermittent use of their watches without any real trouble.

The thing about having a watch winder for me is rather the convenience that I do not have to reset the time and date all the time should the watch stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts