WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of looking at for sale postings and having to read paragraphs of descriptions just trying to find the condition of the watch and the sales price. I have long wondered why there is not a structured form to fill out when listing a watch FS. Why can't we have all people selling watches fill out a standardized form before listing the pictures and general description?

There are three main things that I look for when shopping for a watch. Watch type, price, and condition. Typically, the watch type is right in the thread title, but price and condition could be listed ANYWHERE in the description. I would like to see these three thing listed first and foremost in a posting, so that there is no ambiguity and frustration trying to locate them.

I propose the following: Create a sales page form that lists 10 or so categories with dropdown boxes limiting what the seller can input. THEN leave a box for general description and photos. Some of the 10 categories could include:
1) Watch type (a box for seller to type in brand and model, limited to 70 characters)
2) Price box limited to 5 characters
3) Condition box with dropdown from 100%-0%
4) Movement type- dropdown with quartz, auto, swiss auto, swiss quartz, chinese, manual, swiss manual, other, etc
5) Diameter- dropdown with 55mm-30mm or so
6) Dial color- dropdown black, silver, white, blue, orange, other, etc
7) Warranty included- dropdown with Yes/No
8) Box included- again, yes/no
9) Open to trades- yes/no
10) Paypal- yes no
11) Willing to ship- dropdown with ConUS, International, etc

Then, a box for the seller to fill out with general description, and to include photos.
This will help to reduce buyer frustration- it puts all critical info right at the top of the thread, and eliminates the need to read paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions to find the relevant info.

If you think this is a good idea, please leave a reply to this thread with "I like it" or a simple Yea/Nay. Any ideas for improvement would also be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, if we get enough people responding to this thread, someone (Mods/WUS owner) will take notice and realize that a change needs to be made.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ideas for improving Watch Sales forum

Mods- I know that it is your duty to remove this thread and post it in a more appropriate forum, but I am asking that you leave this here for 24 hours, so that people that mainly surf the watch sales forum can read it. I know that there are many buyers/sellers on here that don't browse the other forums, so i am asking for an opportunity to expose this idea to them

To All--I created a new thread in the general public forum with my ideas on improving the format for posting watches for sale here in this forum

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=298465

Please read it and let me know what you think.
Suggestions always welcome
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
157 Posts
also, if your timepiece is sold, just edit the title/posting with SOLD instead of replying to the thread and bumping it to the top

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Ideas for improving Watch Sales forum

I am sick of looking at for sale postings and having to read paragraphs of descriptions just trying to find the condition of the watch and the sales price. I have long wondered why there is not a structured form to fill out when listing a watch FS. Why can't we have all people selling watches fill out a standardized form before listing the pictures and general description?

There are three main things that I look for when shopping for a watch. Watch type, price, and condition. Typically, the watch type is right in the thread title, but price and condition could be listed ANYWHERE in the description. I would like to see these three thing listed first and foremost in a posting, so that there is no ambiguity and frustration trying to locate them.

I propose the following: Create a sales page form that lists 10 or so categories with dropdown boxes limiting what the seller can input. THEN leave a box for general description and photos. Some of the 10 categories could include:
1) Watch type (a box for seller to type in brand and model, limited to 70 characters)
2) Price box limited to 5 characters
3) Condition box with dropdown from 100%-0%
4) Movement type- dropdown with quartz, auto, swiss auto, swiss quartz, chinese, manual, swiss manual, other, etc
5) Diameter- dropdown with 55mm-30mm or so
6) Dial color- dropdown black, silver, white, blue, orange, other, etc
7) Warranty included- dropdown with Yes/No
8) Box included- again, yes/no
9) Open to trades- yes/no
10) Paypal- yes no
11) Willing to ship- dropdown with ConUS, International, etc

Then, a box for the seller to fill out with general description, and to include photos.
This will help to reduce buyer frustration- it puts all critical info right at the top of the thread, and eliminates the need to read paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions to find the relevant info.

If you think this is a good idea, please leave a reply to this thread with "I like it" or a simple Yea/Nay. Any ideas for improvement would also be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, if we get enough people responding to this thread, someone (Mods/WUS owner) will take notice and realize that a change needs to be made.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
338 Posts
this forum is full off to much garbage i'm guessing because there are not enough moderators. you see the same item for sale with several threads, frustrating! and the fact sellers bump the threads so damn often you always seem to find the same thread weeks after it is posted while all the new posts a shoved so far down the pile due to the inconsiderate actions of a few.

maybe WUS needs to place down specific rules regarding bumps say once a week. no multiple posting, even same seller more than 1 item needs to edit existing post and add second third etc.

maybe charging a membership will get rid of the sellers on here not actually interested in much but to flog off the goods without some sort of fair input

·
Registered
9,360 Posts

Don't like it--the less the rules the better. I like the casual informal personal style of the forum--just the way it is.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey- another thing that I have noticed...

When people list the condition of their watches, they often times reference a grading scale from a competing website (we won't plug it here, but it's initials are TZ). Maybe it's time for WUS to create it's own grading scale? Could use maybe A+, A-, B+, etc or even Mint, Very Good, Good, Average, Poor. Just some ideas. Hopefully this would keep some sellers from seeking a grading scale from a competing website, and make WUS a more all-inclusive site. Not that I'm unhappy with WUS, but ya know....it might help to keep internet surfers within the WUS domain as opposed to looking elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
936 Posts

PMWF has a suggested format that is pre-filled into each new sales post.

Some use some don't. I don't see a problem here except for those that remove the price and or description after the sale is made.

Your ideas are welcome but it seems a bit too rigid for my taste.

As for new ideas, I think a FEEDBACK system is much more usefull and overdue. I know we have the Watch Deals thread but a numerical Feeback system that is posted in each users Avatar area is awesome to have. cheapassgamer.com has one and it works very well. There can be issues with people padding feedback but that is rare. I think it is called iTrader on that particular board.

The current Watch Deals forum is cumbersome to use, not very visible and I don't think half the users here even know it exists.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Don't like it--the less the rules the better. I like the casual informal personal style of the forum--just the way it is.
That's cool. Maybe my suggestion could be an option for sellers to follow. There could be a Yes/No check box that gives the option to use the proposed format, or the typical format. That way, you can opt out of it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

"As for new ideas, I think a FEEDBACK system is much more usefull and overdue. I know we have the Watch Deals thread but a numerical Feeback system that is posted in each users Avatar area is awesome to have."

Very cool idea. That way, you could buy with confidence instead of having to search the Watch Deals forum for feedback, which takes time. I know for a fact that i have had to teach people how to use the Watch Deals forum, since they didn't know it was there or what it was. This would allow for a faster sale for sellers, especially when there is a great deal on a wach and several people are sending PMs at the same time, but they aren't sure if the seller is credible or not.

Good idea. What else do you guys have???

·
Registered
3,455 Posts

I would definitely agree with the watch deals suggestion. It's such an amazing tool to use, and it seems like most of the time my buyers don't even know it exists.

Of the probably 25 or so flawless (and I mean flawless) transactions I've completed here at WUS, maybe only like 5-6 people have given seller feedback about me. To top it off, the few examples that I did have of references all seem to have disappeared. :-s

Sorry if I made this post a little too much about me. I guess my frustration can at least serve as a testament to the need for an improved system.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I'd leave it as it is but make it absolutely mandatory to leave the prices on after the sale. "Maybe a three strikes and you're out" system should be brought in for the removal of the prices.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
The grading system used is widely recognissed. What is the point in creating another competing system? Especially since most people know what TZ95 means, and so will be perplexed as to what you re talking about.

For the record I think the sales forum here is excellent and well moderated.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

Mods- I know that it is your duty to remove this thread and post it in a more appropriate forum, but I am asking that you leave this here for 24 hours, so that people that mainly surf the watch sales forum can read it. I know that there are many buyers/sellers on here that don't browse the other forums, so i am asking for an opportunity to expose this idea to them

To All--I created a new thread in the general public forum with my ideas on improving the format for posting watches for sale here in this forum

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=298465

Please read it and let me know what you think.
Suggestions always welcome
Thanks for your time
This does not belong in the Sales forum, and as you said, you know it, and you know it is against the rules. If we leave this then other people will be at it as well. If you want a discussion in one of the Sales forums then it would have to be cleared by the owner of WUS. Do not presume otherwise.

Thread moved.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts