WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
this is my first time on the forums and the first time I have become an owner of a pocket watch. My girlfriend has recently bought me this watch as an engagement present. I am awaiting its arrival in the mail and will post more photos and info when I have it.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could tell me any more about the watch. What its method of time setting is likely to be and its value.
I appreciate all responses.
Many thanks
James

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
If you type the serial number on the movement into the search engine at pocketwatchdatabase.com, you will get a lot of information.

Your girlfriend can probably tell you the value.

Did you happen to read this other thread? Maybe some interesting information for you.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/elgin-watch-question-4652785.html

·
Registered
947 Posts
It looks to be one of Elgin's "Streamline" 12 size models. I have one with the same dial from 1924 with a Grade 479 17 jewel movement. The Streamlines used slimmer movements and also larger 14 size dials, lending the watches a larger and flatter look.

The time is set by pulling out the crown and turn to set the hands. Then push the crown back in. That's it, a straightforward pendant set watch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gumby992, that's pretty interesting.
Thanks also for the setting info. With regards to winding the watch would I be correct in assuming that while I have the crown down I should turn it clockwise? Will I know its wound when there is no more give?
James

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks Gumby992, that's pretty interesting.
Thanks also for the setting info. With regards to winding the watch would I be correct in assuming that while I have the crown down I should turn it clockwise? Will I know its wound when there is no more give?
James
Yes, you wind the watch with the crown in the down (in) position, winding clockwise, (winding the other direction does nothing). It's a manual wind movement so you will reach a point where you cannot wind any more. Don't force it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, thanks for this additional help. Is there any significant about a 479 movement? Sorry I am such a newbie at watches.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Excellent, thanks for this additional help. Is there any significant about a 479 movement? Sorry I am such a newbie at watches.
No, there's nothing particularly significant about the Grade 479, just that as it is in my watch with the same dial there's a chance you'll find the same movement in your watch, but maybe not. It's a pretty standard Elgin 17 jewel grade, apart from being a thin model. A good movement.

Here's an Elgin Streamline ad from 1923 showing some of the models. All of these watches apart from the one at top left use the higher grade G.M. Wheeler movement as in my other Streamline.

View attachment 12958863

1 - 14 of 14 Posts