WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not able to find out anything about this pocket watch. If anyone knows anything or can guide me to finding some info about it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

It's open face and seems to be lever set.

The face is inscribed with "Howes Bros -- Clinton, Iowa." Case is 14k gold. Case Serial Number 484981.

Movement: Serial Number 97996. Inscribed with "Adjusted" and "Howes Bros -- Clinton, Iowa."

Thanks for your help!

Pierce

IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1206.JPG IMG_E1211.JPG IMG_E1209.JPG

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
All looks legit to me.
Private label - enamel dial - impossible to fake
A

·
Registered
226 Posts
Really beautiful watch. Decent Swiss lever movement.

Case makers trademark is H.Muhr's sons of philladelphia. I've seen the crown grade listed as 14k gold filled guaranteed for 25 years. It's a quality case. I have only one Muhr case and it's very well made.

Did a quick search on your private label

http://www.qiip.com/Howespearls.htm

There's a brief description, but the brothers names are in there to help further your research.

Just an educated guess from the information in the article, but I would guess your watch would date somewhere in the 1910's. Don't quote me on that, I'm not familiar with Swiss movements. Good luck on your search!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,274 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. That is a very nice Swiss watch from ca. 100-120 years ago. In other words, it's made at a time when the better Swiss watches were already about as good as the American ones. For most of the 19th century, only the very top of the Swiss industry were as good as the American upper tier but mass produced watches. Once the Swiss adopted the American mass production system (around 1900), they started to fare better and match the American quality. And that is certainly one of the better Swiss watches. The movement looks like it was made by LeCoultre but to be certain, we would need to be able to see a maker's mark or get a definite match from a movement sheet.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am not able to find out anything about this pocket watch. If anyone knows anything or can guide me to finding some info about it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

It's open face and seems to be lever set.

The face is inscribed with "Howes Bros -- Clinton, Iowa." Case is 14k gold. Case Serial Number 484981.

Movement: Serial Number 97996. Inscribed with "Adjusted" and "Howes Bros -- Clinton, Iowa."

Thanks for your help!

Pierce
Very nice watch indeed. Looks like Howes Bros started out as a Mississippi River Pearls, Clinton, IA in late 1800's. You might find some additional information about Howes Jewellers HERE. Additionally, on THIS genealogy page you'll note some occupations of the listed persons as "Jewellers, Merchant, Pearls, Jeweller, exclusive retail". As Benjamin moved to LA to establish "B.D. Howes & Son Jewelers" in 1919 I'm guessing that since the dial of your watch states "Bros" the watch was imported to US between the years 1899 and 1919. As Hartmut already stated, the movement does look like it could be a LeCoultre caliber. Attached a couple of mid 1980's ads for Howes Jewellers. I believe Howes are still in pearl/jewellery business.

BD Howes & Son ad Desert Sun Mar 1982.jpg Sep 1982 Orange Coast ad.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts