WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Identify GP movement?

841 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  iht 
#1 ·
Any idea what movement this is? And does it look to be in good shape?

Sorry for the blurry pic, but that's all I've got. Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
What do you think?

#8 ·
Pictures will say if it is a catastrophe. They won't say if it is a gem.

#10 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I take your point about spotting catastrophes and not gems, and that it's hard to tell from a poorly exposed picture. Thank you for all the observations.

How much would it cost to service/repair a movement like this? Obviously there must be a range, but any kind of rough estimates? Are parts readily available?

I'm so sorry if these are stupid questions!!

#11 ·
It doesn't say where you're from. Servicing a watch (any watch) costs mostly the time (hourly rate) of someone who has a great deal of skill and experience, and the more "complicated" the watch, the more time, skill and experience is required. Chronographs represent the most "complicated" of mass-produced consumer watches, so the cost will be at the higher end of whatever the scale is in your area.

#14 ·
Thank you for the info. It's great you can service your own watches :)

I'm happy to send the watch away for service, so I'm interested to hear how much a service/repair of a valjoux 72 might cost in other parts of the world. Obviously I understand it can vary quite a bit depending on the work that needs to be done, but a ballpark figure would be great. Thanks :)

#15 ·
Ballpark US service price.... $175. But that is just for a basic service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.