WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some body please help me identify my late grandfathers old pocket watch it has a silver case and a push button to be able to turn the hands for the corect time, i have put some pictures on for you to look at and hope this will help as i can not find anything about it, if you require anymore info please let me know and i will get back to you. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
English, with Birmingham assay marks. Silver case, 1899 (I think - the cartouche is a little strangely struck). Looks like a transition piece, as previously these were key wind and set, whereas yours is stem wind - made using the usual ebauche. This will be a going barrel movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the info, but i don't understand what you mean about the cartouche is a little strangely struck. is the movement around the same date as the case? i can not find anything on an ipswich watch maker, if there was one.
But many thanks.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The cartouche, or cameo, is the shape around the Birmingham date letter (Z). It is not exactly shaped like how it should be. But it would not be the first exception. W.R. Collis, Ipswitch is not mentioned in Loomes "Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts