WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a couple of other posts on here trying to find out abut this watch. I purchased it in 69 to 70 from US Divers in California after coming back from Vietnam. My sister worked for them in the office and got me a discount. I have since lost the strap. I am interested in having it restored and buying a new band like on the 750. That appears to be the closest to what it came with. Can anyone tell me why I can't find a photo of this one. AS you can see it has an orange air tank with black around it. Anyone??

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's a very old one from the late 1960's. It was made before they added the "T" to the end of SUB 300. The crystal is a bit scuffed up but all in all the watch looks pretty good, and could probably be nicely refurbished. The bracelet from the SUB600T model would fit that watch with no modification, but Doxa no longer makes that model so they might not have any more of those bracelets. The SUB750T has a bigger lug width so you would have to file the end pieces down to make it fit your watch.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on another post about having to file the band ever so slightly, however where to get the band. Doxa only lists rubber. Nothing like whats on the 750.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Taken from the Doxa Book, which shows images of a similar watch.........

Another variation of the SUB 300 was the one shown in images 28 and 29. Although the images are poor, a dark colored US Divers Aqua Lung logo can be seen. This dial seems to be particularly rare and the fact that the bezel has different markings and FT position indicates that it was one of the first of the DOXA – US Divers SUBs and may in fact be a prototype or demonstration model.

.................The fact that you bought your watch negates the last sentence and I'll change it in the Doxa version.Your watch is quite rare because of the black US Divers logo and the unusual positioning of FT on the bezel. I'd spend the moolah and have it restored. It looks to be in pretty good condition. A movement service, polish and repaining of the bezel and buffing the case and she would be wonderful. Biggest problem will be the crystal as they are domed ratehr than flat but the guys at crystal fit USA could probably make you one. They have one of my vintage crystals at the minute and I may get a Saphhire version made.

Pete

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had not thought of having that kind of work done. Just retired from Police Department last Friday. Could you pm me, e-mail me or just post what you would guess what you recommended would cost. Also cost of 600 or 750 band and finally what would you guess watch would be worth after work and before. I would appreciate any guidance, thank you Also who would you recommend do the work??

·
Registered
871 Posts
Contact [email protected] , ask for John P. He can sell you a brand new Bracelet for a 600T, it will fit you watch. You might have to shave down the end links, but any competent watchmaker can do that for you.

Nice watch, worthy of a restoration! BTW, WELCOME HOME!

John

If you need any further help you can contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
688 Posts
. Also cost of 600 or 750 band and finally what would you guess watch would be worth after work and before.
If you're thinking of selling it, I'd say sell it as is. Restoration can run into relatively big money and it is difficult to get back all the money that you've invested when you decide to sell.

·
Registered
361 Posts
All in all yours is the first that I have seen during collecting Doxas. As you bought it new I would recommend to keep the watch because it for sure has some nice memories to you and pass it on later to someone in the family who apreciates and respects it.
The SUB 300 itself was the first sub produced by Doxa and is the only one which has an domed plastic crystal.
Also your Dial is one of the rarer Versions.

As your watch has quite some nice wabi which you have personally added I would recommend to perform only minor service work.
Have the movement serviced maybe the hands relumed, brush the case a bit with a 3M satinize pad and fit the new bracelet from Doxa and you´re ready.
By the way Doxa also sells a Rubber Strap for the SUB 600T which fits nicely on these Vintage SUB 300´s.

Regards Bernie

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that responded. At this point I have a 30 year old son that does not have any idea what's in his future. But the watch is older than he is and if the factory does me right, with John Vargas help, he will get a watch to give his 5 year old son that happens to be my Grandson. Sounds like a plan!!! Again, thanks to all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr. I believe your first guess will end up being correct. I spoke with my sister who still lives out west. She recalls the watch being around the office for quite some time as a Demo & that alot of people wore and used it. After they got a largebatch of them in she was able to sell it to me as a used watch. So it had to be a combination of Demonstration and Prototype. John V has set me up with the factory for a restore and I will be curious to what they say.

Taken from the Doxa Book, which shows images of a similar watch.........

Another variation of the SUB 300 was the one shown in images 28 and 29. Although the images are poor, a dark colored US Divers Aqua Lung logo can be seen. This dial seems to be particularly rare and the fact that the bezel has different markings and FT position indicates that it was one of the first of the DOXA – US Divers SUBs and may in fact be a prototype or demonstration model.

.................The fact that you bought your watch negates the last sentence and I'll change it in the Doxa version.Your watch is quite rare because of the black US Divers logo and the unusual positioning of FT on the bezel. I'd spend the moolah and have it restored. It looks to be in pretty good condition. A movement service, polish and repaining of the bezel and buffing the case and she would be wonderful. Biggest problem will be the crystal as they are domed ratehr than flat but the guys at crystal fit USA could probably make you one. They have one of my vintage crystals at the minute and I may get a Saphhire version made.

Pete

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went thru all my Doxa pictures and I recognized yours has definetly the larger minute hand, with more lume, so my guess is that either yours is a transitional Prototype/Demonstrator to the SUB 300T or the hands have been changed during a Service at some point, has it ever been serviced ?

The first Versions all had narrow lume in the hour and minute hand and no lume in the second hand.

later ones had narrow lume in the hour and wide lume in the minute hand, second hand mostly lumed.

Regards Bernie

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No Bernie I don't think it has ever been serviced. I do know that it has been in my desk drawer for near 30 years. It was moved 17 years ago when we bought a new house. When i retired a couple of weeks ago I started cleaning out the house. I found the watch and did a search and here we are. I was just trying to find a photo of this watch and have not been able to do it. I should add that after being stored for so long I merely picked it up and it started running immediately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts