WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Boctok Komandirskie on the way on which I want to replace the hands, the crown, and the crystal if it doesn’t polish up well.

I just don’t know how to identify the movement so I can get ahold of compatible parts.

Thank you for your help in advance!
DDAAB8BA-FA49-434B-97E6-AF5C9FDD9676.jpeg
9F10188E-1F30-4FBE-A4DE-F8404DE7558E.jpeg
31BF177E-38F3-4585-A868-FC8D053ED5D4.jpeg

·
Registered
193 Posts
This looks like a nice watch (hand lume aside) and it seems to retain its original characteristics/parts. Basing that on a comparison to the reference photos on "Russian watches altervista" (below) Like Odessa I would try to keep it as original as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caliber 2414A. Late soviet movement. This is a super common movement. Replacing hands and crown is a good idea. Crystal: super easy to polish. I think you would be better off keeping original. You just need to know how. What did you try?
I have some light polish I use when restoring musical instruments, but I might just order a tube of Polywatch when I order other parts. I don’t have the watch in my possession yet. Photos are from the seller and zoomed in. I don’t plan on discarding any parts I replace.

Along with the hands the crown has some marring on the knurling. Other than that I like how it shows its age and only plan on putting it on a leather nato and sliding it into the rotation.
D3EC831E-7133-4D41-AA7B-92359A34B59A.jpeg

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bear in mind that neither the crown or the hands are made the same anymore, you will have to hunt down vintage replacements if you're looking to keep your watch as authentic as possible...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as I find compatible parts I’ll be happy. If I’m careful enough, or a watch shop in town is open, everything should be reversible since I’ll keep all original parts.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
As long as I find compatible parts I’ll be happy. If I’m careful enough, or a watch shop in town is open, everything should be reversible since I’ll keep all original parts.
Polywatch alone may not do it. If you are willing to spend a few $ on a set of fine gain sand papers you will be able to get the crystal as good as new. You will need grains from 2000 to lets say 10000 (2000, 3000, 5000, 10000). Apply in this sequence. Then polywatch. You will need to take the bezel off so you will not scratch it. 2000 will remove large scratches. Crystal will be milky. Then it will be progressively clearer and clearer. Give it a try. If not happy, then replace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes I have plenty of sandpaper for restoration.

By the way I’m happy to see how helpful this community is! I might rely on that fact when I order a new Scuba Dude for modding

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I use a substance made by a company called Watchfix.com I got off of ebay, very rarely do I need to do two passes and is designed to work with a mop on a dremel keeping the speed moderate. Polywatch I have to have two or more goes to get stubborn scuffs out where this Watchfix stuff is pretty damned good.

Unless you have access to a chrome plater, you won't get the bezel back to original, they make that particular model still often seen on new 090's.

Watch movement is a common or garden 2414A. From Komandirskie.com the hands around 150 roubles, Movement 1999 roubles, crystals about same price as hands, you might have to mix and match between the Komandirskie arrows and a set of Amphibia hands for the second hand, its strange as my tank commander has the big straight second hand. Crown is a negligible amount and you would have to chat with them likely to get the correct crown.

You can of course pick up a working standard used Komandirskie for £15ish easily and if you aim for the "Made in CCCP" logo'd ones you would have the correct period movement. Your main hands will clean up nicely with a gentle brushing/fibreglass pen, reluming isn't too hard a job either. Painting the tennis ball second hand just use a red enamel modellers paint or an acrylic paint then relume same way as the main hands. I use a flattened slab of rodico for any hand cleaning or painting, be aware the minute hand has a crook and its quite easy to accidentally straighten them out.

What is the exclusive thing for your watch is it is a Zakas MO CCCP labelled one, people out in civvy street got the made in CCCP ones, only those with access to the exclusive Russian military outlets got the Zakas ones.

I can def recommend Komandirskie.com's crystals, I have used Meranom ones as well and just as good but Meranom don't do the "gilt ring" crystals which has a gold tension ring which looks super cool in a TiN case, the thing I had with Meranom's crystals is you have to fight the tension ring in a bit to get it to sit properly, Komandirskie.com's crystals the tension ring clicks in firmly to the base of the crystal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That a lot of information and very helpful at that!

For the moment I plan on seeking a spare watch with the same movement so I have a crown I know fits as well as another Vostok to grow the collection.

I’m not sure if my small local watch shop is open, but I’ll check if they will relume if they are.

I actually do have a chrome plater who would likely take on my project, but since I like how this watch shows its age all I want is to clean it up, and to keep it serviced and running

What is the exclusive thing for your watch is it is a Zakas MO CCCP labelled one, people out in civvy street got the made in CCCP ones, only those with access to the exclusive Russian military outlets got the Zakas ones.
Is the only difference the labeling?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
That a lot of information and very helpful at that!

For the moment I plan on seeking a spare watch with the same movement so I have a crown I know fits as well as another Vostok to grow the collection.

I’m not sure if my small local watch shop is open, but I’ll check if they will relume if they are.

I actually do have a chrome plater who would likely take on my project, but since I like how this watch shows its age all I want is to clean it up, and to keep it serviced and running

Is the only difference the labeling?
Yes. Same movement

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Sorry I do get a bit carried away but having not only til recently been a bit of a knowlessman myself, I try and answer the bits I think ppl would like to know remembering my own questions on these watches.

Youtube channel My Retro Watches has a very comprehensive hand relume video worth watching, Youtube Ratfaced Git covers a lot of stuff including your watch movement and I kinda think its the videos you would want to watch to see if you feel up to the very tricksy task of stripping down, cleaning and reassembling a very unforgiving set of tiny parts or letting the watch repair chap do the heavy lifting. I have one major blind spot and that is the balance, no matter how much I practice I really suck at balance wheel assy's lol

I would cherish that tank commander as its such an iconic Soviet watch, my own "civilian" one is in need of regulating, I have a gilded "generalskie" tank commander as well but I don't favour that one so much as I did the black dialled one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I value comments like these. I get that forums are a place for exactly this, but the ones I use for musical instrument information tends to be full of discourse and selfish opinions while WUS has been nothing but helpful and generous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I can be sure that it will for the 2414a movement. I’ll keep that in mind if I don’t end up buying another watch(s) for spares and such!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just received the watch! Tracking said to expect it by the end of October so this was a real treat! They also included a coin. Nice touch. I did get some polishing compound on the bezel markers when I took the pictures but I’ve since cleaned it up.

I think it looks pretty good on my Bond inspired nato strap. Definitely very comfortable.

Not being super familiar with Boctok still I understand that this movement has a sort of safety that slips the crown if you try to overwind? What does that feel like? I only wound it about a dozen or so half turns for tonight

Attachments

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Did you get yours from 2012putnik by any chance as my black tank commander arrived today with the same silver coin lol

For winding, you get the feel of the crown by pulling it gently out and do little twirls back and forth, be gentle till you get the feel of the wind the fact you got some winds in already says you have it pretty zipped up but those very thin shafts of metal are super super fragile and easily snapped.

The only overwinds are found on auto's, you can overwind the movement quite easily but you get to feel it as it nips up to the full wind and you should get 30+ hours on that wind.

If the crystal gets dull, Polywatch is awesome and easy to buff to like new and maybe a Hagerty white metal and steel polishing cloth to keep it all looking smart. If the bezel starts losing its paint, very simple to touch up with some model enamel. Don't expect too much from the lume, the older ones have lume that over time becomes inert as my one has.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts