WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am new to the forums so please be gentle.

I recently have inherited 2 vintage watches from my Aunt. They were my great uncles who at the time worked for Asprey. I assume they are circa 1960/70 but we have no further information on either of the watches. Both watches are automatic and both keep the time perfectly. If anybody can provide some information on both these watches it would be greatly appreciated :) as i can't find any info on the asprey at all.o|. These will start my collection.

Asprey
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Watch accessory Metal

Hamilton

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property
Watch accessory Watch Eye Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much,
The dateline TM-2902 14K gold looks very close. What would the original strap have been made of? Just need to find some info about the Asprey now!!!!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yes, that one is close, but your watch is gold-filled with a steel back. Original straps would have been leather and signed, or if metal, were probably of the "Twist-O-Flex" variety.

Asprey was (and still is) not a watchmaker per se. They bought other companies watches and put their name on the dial. A good watchmaker should be able to take a look at the movement and know which company manufactured it.

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info,

My Aunty will be pleased to know a bit more about the Hamilton. We knew that Asprey used other companies watches following a bit of research but wondered if anyone might know who provided them during this period? We live in a small town in the UK and good watchmakers are few and far between. I will take it to my usual jeweler and see if they can help. I am planning to wear both watches dependant on event but gold is not really my colour. Hopefully i will get an Omega SMP in the near future.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
We knew that Asprey used other companies watches following a bit of research but wondered if anyone might know who provided them during this period?
I really have no idea. Asprey is a very fine shop, so I would expect that at a minimum they used one of the generic Swiss movement houses like A Schlid or ETA. It would not surprise me if you found a nice Jaeger-LeCoultre movement under the bonnet. They seem to have marketed watches through Asprey, although most had both names on the dial.

Let us know what you find out,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have had a trip to the local jeweller who removed the back for me. The Asprey has a very pretty 21 jewel movement by revue.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Material property

Sorry about the picture quality as it was taken off my phone whilst in the jewellers. So the plot thickens!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it that this is a good movement? What kind of era would this be?
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would make it about the kind of age that we thought that it was. I now need to find some way of valuing the watches for insurance purposes. A bonus find today was that the Asprey has an Omega black leather and gold watch strap!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts