WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The serial number dates to around 1954; the style would seem to match that. Case seems a bit overpolished in places. Dial looks almost too nice for a 60 year old watch, but the lume looks legit and there's enough detail in the markings that if its a redial, it's really well done. I don't know that Zenith is enough of a premium name to justify making a fake/fraken. Ranftt's site has a sub-second Zenith Pilot; different dial layout, but suggests the star and "Zenith Pilot" text look identical: bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 462: Gents Zenith Pilot Manual Wind, Sub Second, ca. 1955

It looks like a Zenith 40, with a sweep second modification: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Zenith 40

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,820 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Already replied to this in the Zenith forum. The movement is a Cal. 12-4-50-6, the serial number doesn't quite make the 1954 mark (by that time, they were using the Cal. 120 anyway) and I agree that it's a redial. The cash looks OK considering that the watch is in good state (even allowing for the value reducing redial) - these things are getting more expensive all the time! Try getting a vintage El Primero from the early seventies and see what you'll have to pay these days!!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi out there,

the seller is not dishonest; he always mentions the "beautiful refurbished black dial".
I only wonder why people even consider to buy such fancy objects.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

Didn't bid for it in the end, the seller lives in the same country as me and insisted that I do a a direct bank transfer instead of going through paypal. Made me quite suspicious of him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts