WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF I was to buy a new watch it would have a blue dial, a good stainless steel bracelet be between 37 and 41mm in diameter, and have a clean-ish look suitable for a business casual office (no dive watches or overly busy dials).

IF I was to buy a new watch I'd prefer a mechanical movement, but I may be open to quartz (especially if it's an interesting quartz movement e.g. eco-drive, precisionist).

IF I was to buy a new watch it would be ideal if it was <$300 from a vendor that accepts paypal (I have a paypal balance from a sale that feels like free money) but I'm also open to options up to $1000 if it's something worth waiting/saving up for. Unfortunately I have a UK paypal account so I can't take advantage of the 20% Ebay discount :(

IF I was to buy a new watch...what should I buy? I have a few ideas, but I'm not sold on anything and I don't wan't to narrow the suggestions by mentioning them. I thought I was going to get the blue dial Orient Star Classic, but I got a really good deal on the white dial version and jumped on it.

Over to you!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I nominate these three:

Seiko 5 SNXS77
It is a little small but I would find a 19mm strap that tapers to 18mm at the buckle to replace the junky bracelet. It has a nice sunburst blue dial. I like the retro case and hour markers that are fully lumed and not just the tips. The lug width is a bit odd at 19mm but the inconvenience is a bit exaggerated in my experience.
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

Seiko SRPA29
It is a little larger than your spec but it has a nice 4R movement in it and a really nice radial wave pattern on the dial. If you open it up to regulate or oil, don't be surprised by the plastic retainer ring.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Citizen NH8350-83L
This has a nice 40mm case diameter and I believe this has the Miyota movement that hand-winds but no hacking seconds.
Watch Analog watch Blue Watch accessory Fashion accessory

All of these should be readily available and easy to find with a simple Google and/or Amazon search. Oh and all of them will come in at under $200, even if you spent near the price of the Seiko 5 on its aftermarket strap. The Seiko 5 SNKL07 is also an option if you like crown guards that are proportionally huge compared to the case. It would also need an aftermarket strap.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,401 Posts
Am I supposed to give you advice.....or say what I would buy IF I were to purchase a watch?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The Citizen NH8350 can be found fairly regularly on eBay for ~$100 and it's very nice at that price point.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seiko SRPA29
It is a little larger than your spec but it has a nice 4R movement in it and a really nice radial wave pattern on the dial. If you open it up to regulate or oil, don't be surprised by the plastic retainer ring.
View attachment 11150170
Thanks for the suggestions. This is actually one of the watches that I've been looking at. I love the look of the dial, movement is solid, and I can live with the white date window (especially at that price). But the watch I recently sold was a Seiko SARG015, with one of the reasons being that at 42mm it was a bit bigger than I'd like for a work watch. Presumably the SRPA29 would wear larger because it's all dial? I'm also not convinced that the bracelet would be particularly great. Still, Seiko is a brand that is now under-represented in my watch box, and at the price I've seen it available on eBay it might be worth taking a punt. I just wish they did more mid-range watches with blue dials (I'd buy a blue dial SARB in a heartbeat).

Citizen NH8350-83L
This has a nice 40mm case diameter and I believe this has the Miyota movement that hand-winds but no hacking seconds.
View attachment 11150194
That's a very nice coloured dial, and I like the classic styling of the baton markers and thin hands. The white day/date window might be a little much (I find it more distracting than a white date-only window). I've actually never owned a Citizen, so there's a certain appeal there. As with the Seiko, I'm a little wary of the quality of the bracelet at this price-point; anyone care to comment on this particular feature?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I supposed to give you advice.....or say what I would buy IF I were to purchase a watch?
My question was "IF I was to buy a new watch...what should I buy?"

On the other hand, if you prefer to look at it as "If you were to buy a watch that satisfies these criteria, what would you buy?", then that would work too.

·
Registered
Rolex 14270 Explorer
4,995 Posts
One I just sold would have been a nice selection...
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-sold-sold-german-nivrel-special-edition-coeur-de-la-sarre-execution-sarreguemines-$300-conus-4101634.html

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One I just sold would have been a nice selection...
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-sold-sold-german-nivrel-special-edition-coeur-de-la-sarre-execution-sarreguemines-$300-conus-4101634.html
Nivrel isn't a that has really been on my radar. I'll check them out. Cheers.

·
Registered
Rolex 14270 Explorer
4,995 Posts
Nivrel isn't a that has really been on my radar. I'll check them out. Cheers.
I enjoyed the watch for 6 months but decided to rebuy a Seiko Sumo after a 2 plus year absence from my wrist. The Nivrel has a beautiful blue that changes in different light. Of the 30 plus watches I've bought and sold in the last 2 1/2 years it was a top 3 fav.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The new Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor IV is available in blue. Well under $300.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

None of the pictures I could find really show the color very well, though.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've been contemplating very similar specs recently. I'd prefer a quartz movement because I don't really have a grab and go dress watch. And a blue dial is a must, because although I already have a couple of blue divers, I don't have a blue casual-dress watch - and black, silver and white dials are already over-represented in my watch boxes. A nice shimmer, guilloche or sunburst effect would be a bonus. Bracelet is a must for versatility.

I'm leaning towards the Citizen BM7251-53L. It's a little larger than I'd like at 41mm, but the lug to lug looks snug, and the large chapter ring will help the dial wear smaller. Solar, sapphire crystal, stainless steel bracelet? Tick, tick, tick. Oh, and it's only US$145 at Jomashop right now. Tempting...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Wrist Jewellery

Anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been contemplating very similar specs recently. I'd prefer a quartz movement because I don't really have a grab and go dress watch. And a blue dial is a must, because although I already have a couple of blue divers, I don't have a blue casual-dress watch - and black, silver and white dials are already over-represented in my watch boxes. A nice shimmer, guilloche or sunburst effect would be a bonus. Bracelet is a must for versatility.

I'm leaning towards the Citizen BM7251-53L. It's a little larger than I'd like at 41mm, but the lug to lug looks snug, and the large chapter ring will help the dial wear smaller. Solar, sapphire crystal, stainless steel bracelet? Tick, tick, tick. Oh, and it's only US$145 at Jomashop right now. Tempting...

View attachment 11153314 View attachment 11153330

Anything else I should consider?
That's a pretty good looking Citizen, although the center links on that bracelet look VERY shiny in those photos.

If I was to go for a cheaper, eco-drive option, this Citizen Corso also appeals to me:

$125 at Jomashop. It does have an integrated bracelet, so I would need to be confident that the bracelet is decent quality. Can anyone vouch for the quality of bracelet one can expect on Citizen watches at this sort of price?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been eyeballing this blue Orion 1. It comes on leather, but you could probably find a bracelet for it. It's in the save-for category at $450, but it's a smart, sporty, versatile design.

https://orionwatches.org/shoporion/orion-1-blue
Thanks, but I think that's a blak dial with blue accents. Interesting design though; sometimes I look at it and love how it looks, but sometimes the dressy elements (e.g. the hands) jar with the sporty elements (e.g. the crown).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bulova 96B212...$130-$170US on the bay...

View attachment 11155418
This is another option that I had considered before posting. Really like the case shape and movement, as well as the tuning fork logo. Really wish this was available on a bracelet, like the black dial version is. Still, it's available for $135 from Amazon and a little cheaper from Jet last time I looked (plus maybe $20 for a brown leather strap) so it's really tempting for a pick-up-and-go blue dial option.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not very precise (anything but in fact) but I can see a Seiko in your future.
Tell me more; what does your crystal ball show?

There is a high probability that you are correct. However, that probability would be even higher if Seiko made some of their awesome mid-range models with blue dials. Sort it out Seiko!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts