WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned, worn, flipped quite a few watches. Some (for my budget) were higher end (Zenith/Rolex/Breitling/Omega); some lower end (Citizen/Casio); and some middle level (Tudors, Longines, JDM Seikos). I find I love most watches, regardless of cost, whether higher end or lower end. I dont think higher cost outlay made a watch any more special for me or enjoyable to wear. I owned n wore for several days a week, for 9years, a Rolex DSSD but I think my Seiko Emperor Tunas at 1/4 cost of the Rolex have given me more pleasure and I adore my Casio Mudmaster GWG1000.

So - does cost affect how you appreciate a watch? Do you gain more pleasure the more it costs? Or does getting a bargain give more pleasure? or sentimental connections or memories associated with wearing the watch or ????

This watch gives me more enjoyment than any other - partly cos of exclusivity, it was rare and never sold in the UK; partly cos I got it at a reasonable price; Partly cos it is a copy of such an Iconic Dive watch; partly cos I found it tucked away in a pawn shop and rescued it & had it serviced by Seiko & waited months and got it back pristine; partly cos my wife wanted to buy it for me for our 30th wedding anniversary knowing I loved it even though she thought it ugly.

IMG_4127.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely not. I've owned two Rolex watches, a Sub and a DJ and whilst I did enjoy them briefly I get much more pleasure from owning other pieces that have cost significantly less money. At the moment I'm really enjoying my Aquis and Big Crown Pointer as well as an SKX007 which, combined, easily cost less than the Sub. I don't worry about how much a piece is worth as long as I really like it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,094 Posts
How do you define enjoyment?
I enjoy my GShock the most as it is worry free fun.

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Cost doesn't figure into my "enjoyment" for watches and just about anything else, not even sure why it would/should.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Simple answer, NO. Some of my cheaper watches give me far more enjoyment. Don't know why, they just do !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cool Seiko!

I find I'm quite the opposite. I love a nicely done watch and have paid well for them.

It's always more rewarding though, to get more for your money - more enjoyment and refinement in a piece then you have a "right" to - than to pay for quality that you expect at the price point.

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,599 Posts
Yes, somewhat.
One of the things I most appreciate is the quality and workmanship of any given watch. Not to say there are not examples of superb quality at reasonable cost, but typically the better the quality or artistry, the higher the cost. So in that respect, yes I tend to enjoy higher cost watches more than lesser cost examples due to the inherent cost of quality and artistry.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes and no.

I enjoy my Gold watches more than my Stainless ones... I just like gold I guess. By the nature of gold, they cost more than most of the SS ones I own. They also have a higher level of artistry / fit and finish than my SS tool and casual watches.

Stacked against each other, they no longer follow any 'cost rule' and I enjoy them depending on my mood.

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Timefleas
Many well known brands from cars to clothing to jewellery have built their marque predicated on the Veblen goods principle. Those who pursue and pay for them gain great enjoyment from these items due to the delicious cocktail of exclusivity, expense and excellence. I can understand that.
However, I personally find I enjoy a £400 watch as much as a £4000. The £4000 watch is more exclusive, expensive and excellent (in many material respects) but I enjoy them all. and if they were all the same price,and I could only have 1, it would not be the most expensive, exclusive or excellent.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I’m going to be honest here and say yes, I have an explorer 2 and enjoy wearing it more than my skx even though I love my skx.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Quality and exclusivity usually go hand in hand with higher prices.

Do I enjoy my $500 Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical? Sure, I do. A lot.

But do I like my Rolex Explorer more? Yes. The quality is a whole different level, which I can appreciate. Yes, the name and brands adds to the enjoyment. Yes, the price can also increase the enjoyment because I saved for it and think it is worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aidy & kepa - I think you are right - often (not always) a more expensive watch is a better watch - better design, materials, reliability, pedigree, history, resale value etc
A watch that represents both good design, material, quality, reliability and value is an ideal.

Do you think if your much loved Explorer & Explorer II were more expensive and less available you would love yours more or less? If you had to wait longer and pay more would it mean more?

Reactions: Aidy

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hi simon, it all depends on the value I’m getting for my money. It’s hard to explain but generally across the board from my work tools, fishing gear even sunglasses, my most expensive stuff nine out of ten times is the best to use. It’s the age old saying “ if you buy ****e, you buy twice” and I apologise if I sound a little materialistic, I’m not trying to be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For me it’s all about the quality and precision rather than cost. The more expensive pieces do tend to be marginally better and so I would probably say I do end up enjoying them more however some half the price get close and then I enjoy the value for money :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,094 Posts
I hate that this is the case, but I'm going to say yes for me. Does that make me superficial? Or, am I seeing the beauty and the value in what I've paid for it? Generally speaking, I have enjoyed my more expensive pieces. With that said, I am truly enjoying this ball fireman that I recently picked up, and this watch is significantly less expensive than any of the other pieces I own.

Reactions: Simon and Aidy

·
Premium Member
64,754 Posts
Not for me. Not really. I simply adore my Daytona but get almost as much pleasure out of my little square G Shocks or an SKX.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts