WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened across this in my hunt for what to buy next. Now I don't care about Sly, and I don't own/want a Panerai any time soon. But perhaps someone will think it's cool that Sly is promoting this brand. Personally, I think it might work if he'd had something to say about their more approachable offerings. (I only half listened to him and I heard him mention the Chaos watch, which is a one night a year piece.)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
This is the only one I am aware of and posted it awhile back in "the ugliest" thread...:

$5K for this POS!

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only one I am aware of and posted it awhile back in "the ugliest" thread...:

$5K for this POS!
Yep, they make that too. That's the Chaos watch that Sly chats about in his video for them.

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Montegappa makes high end pens and they should concentratevon exactly that. But the watch does not fit into that portfolio. Even if it might seem hard to dislike the crown which is eight-sided like the pen bodies and comes with a black cabochon the watch case is fitted with an undecorated ETA 2824-2, the rotor just features the Montegrappa logo. That's it. There are two models with quartz models which is another downer. Montblanc's approach is t he better one imho.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
To answer the question posed in the title... no, I don't think it will work again.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer the question posed in the title... no, I don't think it will work again.
I don't know whether I agree or disagree with you, but I like that you answered the question.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Montegappa makes high end pens and they should concentratevon exactly that. But the watch does not fit into that portfolio. Even if it might seem hard to dislike the crown which is eight-sided like the pen bodies and comes with a black cabochon the watch case is fitted with an undecorated ETA 2824-2, the rotor just features the Montegrappa logo. That's it. There are two models with quartz models which is another downer. Montblanc's approach is t he better one imho.
So you don't think a company can diversify into a new part of the luxury goods industry? What makes it so bad that Montegappa is trying to echo Mont Blanc's move?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
So you don't think a company can diversify into a new part of the luxury goods industry? What makes it so bad that Montegappa is trying to echo Mont Blanc's move?
I don't think that is what Mike is saying. I think he is just saying given Montegrappa's offerings above...#1 they should not quit their day job. #2 if they are going to go this route...take the far classier page out of MB's book. As far as the watch you posted...not my cup of tea, but we have seen equally offensive/ridiculous watches by "devoted watchmakers" with "deep history."

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Looks kind of like Swatch meets Bvlgari.

The bad part is that they moved on to watches without first fixing their pens. I don't think we can expect any better from their watches than we can from their pens; in other words they offer no competition to Montblanc on any front. For them to move into watches makes them look like they're just hopping on the MB gravy train, kind of like how they assigned MB prices to their pens with little justification in terms of quality. I wonder if OMAS will follow suit with an even worse watch line at an even higher price, consistent with what they've done with their pens.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
That brand is great for pens. However, MB was the exception to the rule. Not the standard. Respected pen brands should stick to what they do best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts