WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

If you were Omega's CEO, would you approve these changes to the 300M ?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If Omega decided to release a 300M without an HEV, without skeleton hands, without the wavy dial and with a 3 link bracelet, it would look something like this photoshop image below... It would kill the watch, in my opinion. It ceases being what it is.

I don't get why people who dislike the distinctive elements of the 300M just don't get this and keep trying to change something on it.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Personally, I like the 300M just as it is today, HEV, hands, dial, bracelet and all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
I think if people don't like the 300M as is, they are plenty of options.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
The wave is part of the overall look of the 300M. Just like how a geriatic TV screen is part of the look of a Nautilus. You can't change it without changing the watch.

·
Premium Member
10,723 Posts
I am trying to understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to say that Omega does not know what it's doing when it comes to the design of its Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, but that is okay because you like just the way it is?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to say that Omega does not know what it's doing when it comes to the design of its Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, but that is okay because you like just the way it is?
Not at all, it was an attempt to try and show people who dislike the 300M that if you take away those elements the watch is no longer a 300M. I guess I'll have to edit the text to a more point blank approach.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The photoshopped versions of the SMP in the OP aren't bad, but they don't do anything for me. I'm not a huge PO fan and there are too many elements from the PO transferred to the SMP which is less than ideal, IMO. I like the SMP bracelet and skeleton hands better than what the PO is working with. I slightly prefer the wave dial of the SMP and am indifferent on the external He valve. All in all, I think I'd rather the SMP stay as it is.

Reactions: AnonPi

·
Premium Member
10,723 Posts
Not at all, it was an attempt to try and show people who dislike the 300M that if you take away those elements the watch is no longer a 300M. I guess I'll have to edit the text to a more point blank approach.
Well in that case, my vote goes to the second option: "Hell no! The 300M sells a lot and people would feel betrayed if we changed its distinctive elements."

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Its fine as it is - I prefer it over your photoshopped iterations - and you can't remove what are iconic features that define the thing itself. When is the Seamaster Professional Diver 300 not the SMP 300?
when you remove the waves n open hands n wort

Whilst the HEV is anachronistic and unnecessary as no sat diver would use such a function on a watch these days - having double wrist computers and crew above controlling ascent

but aesthetically it kinda balances the non crown side out

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Cool

Having said all that - the old Seamaster Great White GMT that has all the features you suggest changing (no wave dial, closed sword hands and no HEV) - and is one of the finest looking Omegas ever.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Love the waves. Love the skeleton hands. The HEV adds an interesting feature to the look - and while entirely useless, it's no less silly on a luxury dive watch than an auto-HEV that's set into the case. And at least this one also contains a laser.

If you remove those elements, I think I'd find the SMP a little boring.

Reactions: Bird-Dog and danraf

·
Registered
508 Posts
I like the SMP as is, and the elements including the HEV are distinctive product differentiators. It has achieved icon status I think at this point because of those strong design queues so can’t change it.

The only thing I’d like is a taper on the bracelet.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The SMP is an icon in its own right, but when they reintroduce the 2254 I am going to throw my money at the omega boutique.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts