WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about Doxa; but let's say if I had to choose one current / recent model because I hypothetically wanted one in my collection at some point in the future (just don't tell my wife!), which one should it be?

I am looking for the "iconic" Doxa, a bit similar to the iconic nature of the Seamaster for Omega, or the Sub for Rolex.... Not much interested in vintage, because I know the prices are becoming astronomical for Doxa vintages.

PICS or LINKS welcomed, as model numbers and names don't ring a bell too much.... At least for now, until I have done my research :-!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have to say the 750 professional. sorry no pics but you can see it on the website. im sure some of the folks here will post some pics for you. Rob

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok, I am sure that Dr. Pete or Jason could give you a better answer, but hey I got the time so here goes.

Classic DOXA means orange. So it looks like you are in for a pro.

If you are not all about the vintage (I'm not either), then I would recommend the 1000T as it is closest based on the dimensions of the original DOXA vintage pieces. I have one and it is an Iconic watch.

However, I still like my Milsharky best.;-)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Yup signature Doxa = orange dial

Case size depends on your preference, but i'd recommend the 750T or the new 5000T if a large size is ok for ya. ;-)

D.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Like the others have said, if you want iconic, go for the orange faced Professional version. Which model will depend on what size watch you are comfortable wearing. If you like a smaller case watch, the 1000T Professional would be your best bet or a 600T Professional if you can find one used. For the bigger cases, the 750T Pro, The GMT Pro, the T-Graph Pro, or the new upcoming 5000T Pro.

Look at some of the recent posts that talk about the 5000T and there are some picture comparisons of the 1000T, 750T, and 5000T and you can get an idea of the size differences. Good luck.

Wayne

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
My favorite Doxa is still my 750T Pro....

Guys, he did ask for pictures.... ;-).

You've gotten some great advice above, but one more thing to consider. Your wife is MUCH more likely to notice the orange dial of the Professional! :-d

As to vintage, the closest thing to the vintage currently available is the new 1000T, and it is a great option. It's very close in dimension to this, the original (mine is a restored version with a few not so great details, still, a very cool watch and one I wear without worry! A bit smallish by todays sport watch standards though...).

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
750 Pro all the way baby! It is my favorite. T-bone already supplied the pics. The 'other' 'iconic' Doxa in my book is the T-graph Pro. The 3 register is sold out, but the 2 register will be available soon.

Good luck!

·
14,572 Posts
I used to say that this was my ultimate Doxa.....

But now I am not sure. I have to think that the new 5000T Pro is alot of bang for your buck. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but Pete said it is unbelievable and that is ok by me. I have to say......movement, lume, HRV, Ratcheting clasp (a BIG selling point for me), all these things make it seem to me to be the ultimate Doxa

JMHO

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Well, like the other have said, you can't go wrong with a SUB750T Pro,

The SUB750T's are beautiful watches, a daily wear kind of watch (easy on the wrist, if you know what I mean).

I guess if you want to be a purist then the SUB1000T is as close as you'll get to the original DOXA's, me I'm not that much a purist and prefer a modern size watch rather than the vintage smaller size watches, but this is down to individual preference.

I know DOXA is orange and everyone associates them with the orange watch, but for me it's the Sharkhunter, this is the watch I remember seeing Jaques-Yves Cousteau wearing on his dive adventures when I was young, so for me DOXA = Sharkhunter, even the name sounds adventurous . :-d

·
14,572 Posts
I know DOXA is orange and everyone associates them with the orange watch, but for me it's the Sharkhunter, this is the watch I remember seeing Jaques-Yves Cousteau wearing on his dive adventures when I was young, so for me DOXA = Sharkhunter, even the name sounds adventurous . :-d
I can't say that I disagree with you. I have several old videos of Jacques and not only did he wear the sharkhunter, most or all of his crew wore them as well. I have yet to see an orange dial on one of those old videos........

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I can't say that I disagree with you. I have several old videos of Jacques and not only did he wear the sharkhunter, most or all of his crew wore them as well. I have yet to see an orange dial on one of those old videos........
Plus it's the one Redford wore in '3 Days of the Condor' in like, 1973.....?

Paul

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yup, much as I love the orange.. Cousteau's crew wore Sharkhunters. 1st of the brazenly "borrowed" scans is Jean-Michel.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
First you have to buy a Harley, Then with HD colors being Black and orange, get yourself a nice black T Shirt(mine is from the Robin Hood Harley Davidson Shop in Nottingham, England) and then a DOXA 600T Pro in that wonderful Harley orange. lol

paul:-d

ok maybe the SECOND thing you get is a Harley but you can then tell the wife you need it to color coordinate!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I have to think that the new 5000T Pro is alot of bang for your buck. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but Pete said it is unbelievable and that is ok by me. I have to say......movement, lume, HRV, Ratcheting clasp (a BIG selling point for me), all these things make it seem to me to be the ultimate Doxa

JMHO
Yep, your not wrong there... I ordered my SUB 5000T Sharkhunter as soon as I saw the link posted, hopefully I be posting pictures in December :p

PS: I agree, the GMT Pro is such a cool looker! Nice choice!

This is one of my fav's.....I just love this watch. The PVD finish is so good.

I thought I'd missed out on the PVD, as I was to to slow thinking about one when they first came out, then I saw DOXA had 20 more the other week on the forum I just had to get one (almost fate you might say), even though I was waiting for the new SUB5000T (oh well, guess that's what the credit card is for :-d ). Sure glad I did, it's fantastic!!

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
You guys are killin' me with those Sharkhunter pics! :-d Okay, off to the watch box to put away the Breitling I've enjoyed wearing for the past few days.... I want my Sharkie! b-) (It's on the bracelet right now though....).

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would highly recommend the Sharkhunter 750T. Besides the fact that the 750 will be sold out soon and will surely increase in value, it is the perfect first DOXA. I own a 750 T Professional as well and while I fully appreciate the orange dial now, I did not until I had the Sharkhunter and I was familiar with the unique Doxa look on my wrist. The black dial makes the transition into Doxa a little easier. The orange dial will most surely follow. I don't know of too many Doxa owners that have just one.
Short answer, if you buy the Pro, you will then buy the Sharkhunter, and vice versa.
I know some may disagree, but just my opinion.
Good luck and welcome to the madness. :-d

1 - 20 of 30 Posts