WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF Stowas were available in a proper store, how much would they cost?

Simple.

I'm impressed with the quality that I've seen on two recent associates' watches - and with the reviews I've read here.

My impression is that they, in reality, compete with watches costing 2-3 times what the price is direct.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
On the economics of retail stores vs. direct business-to-consumer marketing likely a ratio of 2:1. But I grant that with the special "touch" Jörg has, 3:1 sounds the more likely scenario. ;-)

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Basically you would have to double the price, which is why Jörg sells only directly via his website and telephone/fax.

And you're right, they do compete with significantly more expensive watches.

JohnF

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi -

Basically you would have to double the price, which is why Jörg sells only directly via his website and telephone/fax.

And you're right, they do compete with significantly more expensive watches.

JohnF
I would agree that doubling the price is accurate since most dealers pay around 50% of list for their watches. This also assumes logically that Jorg would want to maintain his current profit margin on the Stowa brand.

An interesting question is whether the same 50% markup applies for Schauer selling through authorized dealers vs. direct like Stowa.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Geesh I hate to see someone even mention such a horror!
Hope it never happens....

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
mark ups are more then double the wholesale price. i know for fact via watch dealers.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I got an MO recently, and my girlfriend (who bought it!) was interested to see how it compared price-wise with watches available in shops. So we went to Selfridges, which has one of the best collections in London.

When comparing the design, quality, and general desirability of the MO vs other watches, we agreed that you'd have to spend over £2000 / $4000 to get anything on a similar level. It made something like the IWC Mk XVI seem really cheap and unsubstantial!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Over at another forum, this poor guy is set on a "brand" watch, with a budget of 1300 bucks. His conclusion from the posts on this other (non watch) forum is that he'll have to settle for quartz at that price.

Ironically, while I first heard the name Stowa over there, when I mentioned it as option, it was like you could hear crickets chirping.

I don't know, whether your a fan of Stowa or not, if you're on this forum I don't think you just throw 1300 away and settle for anything in a watch. If you pay that, then that's the watch you want (at the time ;-) )

·
Registered
54 Posts
mark ups are more then double the wholesale price. i know for fact via watch dealers.
Fact for sure! A Rolex AD told me the buy in the Sea Dweller for £ 1,200.00, while the retail for that here in the UK is £ 2,930.00. Why didnt i become a jeweller o|

·
Registered
946 Posts
as much as i love my Stowa, and even though i used to think the price would be double, i'm not so sure now. it's a wonderful watch, but how much do most COSC-certified time and date 2824-2 watches normally cost on the street? my cosc airman with date probably ran me around $900 or a little more. i've seen similar watches for less. i certainly still think the Stowa is a great deal, and when you factor in the personal touch and attention of Jorg it could be the best deal around. but i'm not sure a dealer could sell my airman for $1800 or more.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Checking around the lines of other watch companies, it seems that most watches using the 2824-2 movement range from uner $1000 to around $2000. There are some exceptions that are costlier, but hey, I don't think the cost of the movement is the largest component in a watch price. I know if a source from 2824-2 movement for under $80 each.

We all would like to think Stowa bought direct is comparable to a 2-3 times costlier watch at retail, but it's basically impossible to truly get a handle on this, except perhaps to notice how much the few Stowas which are available at retailers actually sell for.

What's probably going on here is that Stowa has chosen this business model, as it probably yields higher profit for them per watch, and lower price to the consumer as the middle man is cut out.

That said, I think these watches would have to retail for at least 50% more, if there was another layer involved.

The risk, of course, is that without a retail network, the exposure of the brand to the watch buying public is possibly compromised.

What watch sells more per year- Stowa or Rolex?

·
Registered
991 Posts
The Stowa name though is well-known in watch circles, remember they're one of three of the original flieger producers.

Also there's Rolex, and then you can go upmarket to the Schauer line. I think the two tier system they have works in that one feeds the other. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
The Stowa name though is well-known in watch circles, remember they're one of three of the original flieger producers.

Also there's Rolex, and then you can go upmarket to the Schauer line. I think the two tier system they have works in that one feeds the other. :)
i think the stowa website actually menions 5 original producers of the fleigers.

also, i know this has been discussed probably, but what's the difference between the stowa and schauer lines in terms of quality? i know jorg makes the cases himself for the schauer watches. aside from that, are there any other differences? with the FO coming out, it doesn't seem like the schauer line has the edge in terms of unique movements or complications.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Checking around the lines of other watch companies, it seems that most watches using the 2824-2 movement range from uner $1000 to around $2000. There are some exceptions that are costlier, but hey, I don't think the cost of the movement is the largest component in a watch price.
Very true and exactly how I also figured this out.

We all would like to think Stowa bought direct is comparable to a 2-3 times costlier watch at retail, but it's basically impossible to truly get a handle on this, except perhaps to notice how much the few Stowas which are available at retailers actually sell for.
Also very true. Stowa (with COSC -movement) quality is comparable to more known brands like Omega, Breitling or TAG. How ever especially Omega uses specially made COSC -movements. OTOH Stowa case and bracelet are very high quality. Only thing I like a little better on competitors is Omega Speed-/Seamaster clasp.

What's probably going on here is that Stowa has chosen this business model, as it probably yields higher profit for them per watch, and lower price to the consumer as the middle man is cut out.

That said, I think these watches would have to retail for at least 50% more, if there was another layer involved.
Exactly true.

The risk, of course, is that without a retail network, the exposure of the brand to the watch buying public is possibly compromised.
True.

JP

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have chosen the watch during 6 months I think... I would agree that based on competitive watches I have considered Stowa would be priced +50% in a proper store.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Interesting post but the only answer worth it's salt is that of the company themselves. Owning a Stowa i would like to think that i get a significant saving over buying from a store and should these watches be available via dealers then yes they would take thier cut. 50% higher though? I am not sure the market would pay that without a significant advertising campaign which would include getting their watches on a few 'notable' wrists just as Doxa have done over recent years.

I would not compare them though to the likes of Rolex. The materials inside and quality is very different. Don't get me wrong, i do not own a Rolex as i do not like their designs. I prefer Stowa, and a number of others.

So in answer....if available in stores now? I would say no more than they are sold now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
was walking in taipei a few days ago, and saw a stowa section in a watch store... not sure if it was official, but had stowa display stands and looked quite nifty! they had the whole range of stowa too, was very surprised! are they really confined to the internet, or has the store just bought the collection, and are selling them on?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting post but the only answer worth it's salt is that of the company themselves. Owning a Stowa i would like to think that i get a significant saving over buying from a store and should these watches be available via dealers then yes they would take thier cut. 50% higher though? I am not sure the market would pay that without a significant advertising campaign which would include getting their watches on a few 'notable' wrists just as Doxa have done over recent years.
Doxa is very good example. They are very good on marketing but trying to get Doxa to watch shops doesn´t seem to happen.

It will next to impossible to sell Doxa divers starting from 2000 USD or even more (net prices starts from about 2000 USD with standard ETA).

I would not compare them though to the likes of Rolex. The materials inside and quality is very different. Don't get me wrong, i do not own a Rolex as i do not like their designs. I prefer Stowa, and a number of others.
Are you talking about Doxa or Stowa vs. Rolex ;-) Just kidding. I agree that very few if any watches are comparable to Rolex (inhouse movement etc) in price class uder 10 000 USD.

So in answer....if available in stores now? I would say no more than they are sold now.
Well I think that a little bit more but yes: Maybe 50 % is too optimistic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts