WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at getting a automatic divers watch . Cant afford a rolex submariner so been looking at the longines hydroconquest, Christopher Ward c60 and steinhart ocean 1 . Ive noticed they al have the same eta movement in them so how can one be better then the other ? Also is ther anything els to consider ?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
IIRC they all use elabore grade ETA 2824-2?

A movement is just one part of the watch. One would consider other areas like the case construction, finishing and quality control etc.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
There are different grades of eta, though as mew said, I think they might all use the same grade. In that case, it's all about build quality, materials and design. In my opinion, it's Steinhart ocean 1<Christopher ward c60<<<<Longines hydroconquest. Subjective, but I think most would agree. On the extreme other side of eta, you find IWC, Tudor and the such using eta in some products (IWC) or in all their products (Tudor) but being on a totally different stratosphere of feel.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
After the movement it's just about aesthetics and your personal preferences. If two watches use the same movement just look at price:quality ratio and which one catches your eye. No matter how well reviewed a watch is or how much of a value it is, if you don't like it you won't wear it.

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
IIRC they all use elabore grade ETA 2824-2?

A movement is just one part of the watch. One would consider other areas like the case construction, finishing and quality control etc.

I'd go for the Steinhart |>

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Some brands just seem more like watch case making companies then watchmakers. Heck half the time they aren't even that. Made in China cases, generic Swiss movements, slap a dial and a brand slogan on n "bam" its a watch. Some stand out that use standard eta movements whether it be their case finishing or high tech features such as high temperature n water resistance, dehumidifying technologies, high scratch resistance materials, long lasting special gaskets or tweaking an eta movement to really be their own n to be something special. Brands like Omega, Ball, Sinn, Bremont and Damasko come to mind.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some will regulate the movement for accuracy before it is sold. Of course you can always have the movements regulated on your own, so not that big a deal really.

Comes down to brand name and quality of parts/design.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
This is roughly the equivalent of saying:

"Yesterday I ate nothing but green roughage, bran flakes and prunes. While today, I ate 3 double-cheese chilli dogs with extra jalapeños and hot sauce. They both resulted in the same movement, so why is one so much better than the other?"

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

Same engine as;

Which one would you chose?

Buzz

·
Premium Member
38,915 Posts
Been looking at getting a automatic divers watch . Cant afford a rolex submariner so been looking at the longines hydroconquest, Christopher Ward c60 and steinhart ocean 1 . Ive noticed they al have the same eta movement in them so how can one be better then the other ? Also is ther anything els to consider ?

There's a lot more to a watch than just the movement.

Aesthetics obviously play a big part, but that's very subjective so it's difficult to say that one is 'better' and justifies a higher price tag.

The quality of the assembly and materials used will play a part in the price, as will brand image, warranty and customer service, and other details such as lume, sapphire crystal, depth rating, etc.

One can certainly be better than the other. I have owned the CW and I personally felt that it was a lot of watch for the money. I have only spent a short amount of time with a Steinhart so would struggle to really say which one is better, but what it better to me isn't necessarily what is better to you.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
This is roughly the equivalent of saying:

"Yesterday I ate nothing but green roughage, bran flakes and prunes. While today, I ate 3 double-cheese chilli dogs with extra jalapeños and hot sauce. They both resulted in the same movement, so why is one so much better than the other?"
Both would result in high frequency movements but one in particular would require significant adjustment for temperature.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
At those prices (and higher) many watches are meeting the "Swiss Made" requirements by a hairs breadth. Be that as it may, those are two highly regarded brands at their price point. I doubt there would be much of a difference in quality. They'd both shame any $500 fashion watch, as well as retail priced watches from bigger brands (like the $450 SKX007 at my local watch shop).

Quality aside I've got a particular distaste for Rolex homage watches, so I'd go with the trident of those two. My favorite $500 divers are the Steinhart 30atm, Seiko Sumo (although I'd have to add the bezel insert mod), and a gently used Marathon GSAR.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I have a Chinese watch with an ETA 2824-2 that cost me $140 dollars.

I have a vintage Benrus Type 2 with an ETA 2821-1 (a 2824 without the date wheel).

One cane get a Tudor watch for $4000 that has a 2824-2 (modified).

1) All 2824-2 are not the same, they come in four grades. Some brand will even pay ETA to modify the movement (See what they did for Tudor)

2) There is more to a watch than the movement. Is a $70 watch with a chrome-plated brass case the same as a $300 watch with a stainless steel case? How about the hands and dial? Luminous qualities? Etc, etc....

3) Reliability - If you want quality, you have to pay for it. This does not mean all expensive things are quality things, but no quality thing will be bargain basement priced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts