• GS Spring Drive

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • GS Other

Votes: 15 16.3%
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I love my MM300 to bits, which I'm told uses an undecorated GS movement, but when I look at the Grand Seiko mechanical line, I can't tell one from the other other than dial color. The Spring Drive models hold no appeal, and I tend to go for quartz movements for anadigis and digitals and not in fully analogue watches these days.

But, if I have to choose, I think I'd go for a 40mm white dial version to wear with suits. I think the SBGH001 (romantic name, isn't it?) is the one for me.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I love my MM300 to bits, which I'm told uses an undecorated GS movement, but when I look at the Grand Seiko mechanical line, I can't tell one from the other other than dial color. The Spring Drive models hold no appeal, and I tend to go for quartz movements for anadigis and digitals and not in fully analogue watches these days.

But, if I have to choose, I think I'd go for a 40mm white dial version to wear with suits. I think the SBGH001 (romantic name, isn't it?) is the one for me.
Yep, the 8L35 (unadjusted/undecorated 9S55).

·
Registered
7,814 Posts

There's no time like the present. Carpe Diem! :)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Thanks! Yes, I agree they do represent the best value Spring Drive there is. You are getting a 9R65 movement used in GS SD's that cost 1-2 thousand dollars more. Only down side is no see through case back. Although all my automatic watches have a see through case back and I really like the GS logo on the back :) I was choosing between this and the Snowflake but I went with this as I prefer the 39mm size. The Snowflake dial is beautiful along with it's distinct blue seconds hand, but is it workth 2k more than this?? Nope :(
I feel Seiko puts a lot of value in the 5 piece bracelet (and titanium) over the 3 link. Which would be great if they'd make more watches with the 3 link bracelet as I'd love to get the same watch on the 3 link and save a few bucks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah it does appear that they are marketing the 5 piece bracelet as more prestigious, but in my case, I already own a Swiss watch with a 5 piece bracelet which looks exactly the same as the one offered by the GS line. I have to say, I'm really enjoying this 3 piece oyster bracelet - it's not as 'formal' as a 5 piece yet still beautifully understated...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think the 5-piece link bracelet does resemble the Omega bracelets.

Both of my GS have the 5 piece bracelets so I am not complaining.

I also would like to try the 3 piecer at some point in the future.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

141 - 149 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.