WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..What would you choose? As a utilitarian watch that you could possibly wear is almost any situation?

Perhaps I am a bit of a romantic when it comes to these kind of things but I love the idea of just owning one watch, and taking that watch everywhere with you. The idea of something reliable that you grow with and collects dings and scratches as you age and builds character.

Honestly I'm not sure what I would choose, I would love a speedy pro but due to its water resistance I would not be comfortable getting it wet at all, and I am an avid swimmer so that would be a real problem for me. I think a sub or something would be a real popular choice. Or perhaps an Avenger.

What watch would you choose?

Reactions: kezown

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
GS Snowflake. Who said anything about not changing straps :)

Reactions: swissgmt and kezown

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
May not be the most popular choice but having gone through high end Swiss watches - AP, Rolex, PP, mid level watches - grand Seiko, tag, longines, etc I keep coming back to something more reasonable...

Right now it's this all metal G... Titanium so it's light, it's a G so it's durable, swimming diving, polished bits and applied markers that shine. Plus no need to ever set it.

If only it was a few mm thinner it would be perfect.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I take the satin appearance of unpolished Titanium instead of polished SS so if it would be available, the watch would be based on Avenger Blackbird (without DLC) so it would be thinner than the 3000m wr Avenger and with bezel with bib only (no minute markers no rider tabs) so it would have wr but be a bit dressier than pure diver.

Old IWC Ingenieur Titanium is really close but sadly it doesn't have crown guards :-(

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
What I wore before I got into this hobby..

Pam 111,it went with me diving (it has 300m WR),to the weddings (nice leather straps and short sleeve shirt did the trick),working,travelling,dating,gym etc...

Maybe now I'll wear my pam 345 exclusively like that...or maybe my upcoming watch will be my only go-to watch

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Mine would be the Omega SM300 Master Co-Axial...

But instead of hypotheticals, I would love to find out whom amongst WUS actually adheres to the 1-watch rule which is so rare nowadays, like they're unicorns. And which watch and/or why... I tried myself but that lasted a day before I bought another one.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If I had to wear one watch that I could never take off in any situation, I'd probably buy a Rolex Explorer or Datejust... A VC Overseas would be another possibility... More precious than that and it wouldn't actually get wet defeating the purpose.

If I were allowed to take the watch off when desired, I'd go with my custom RGM 801 that is the works...

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Sub

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Yeah, it'd probably be the Polar Explorer II for me......although I've started to sense a strong pull emanating from this one over the past few weeks. My only real concern is the strap/indices color. I'm just not sure how easy finding suitable alernative straps (that would look good) would be...and whether it's got a wee-bit of a femenine vibe to it "as is"...

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got close to becoming a "one watch guy" after getting an Explorer (114270) a few years ago. It really can go anywhere and do anything and, while I don't purposely abuse it, I really do wear the heck out of it. It's been to the gym, the beach, the bar, job interviews, the trading desk, my own desk... well you get the picture. And, yes, the watch has plenty of dings and scratches and it doesn't bother me in the least. If anything the wabi makes it mine.

When I read about people who go out of their way to baby their watches it reminds me of people who put plastic on their "good" furniture or on the seats of their cars (yes I've known people who did both of those things). I always wanted to ask them who the heck they were saving their seat fabric for. Were they expecting to have tea with Elvis? Were they thinking that they might be called upon to shuttle a minor dignitary to the grocery store? But I digress. I'm not saying that I go around trashing my belongings, but I do believe in using them. But, hey, opinions vary and we can all still be friends.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm not totally monogamous as I have a few other watches which see some wrist time. But I've thought about keeping the Explorer and selling everything else aside from a vintage Omega (because it was my grandfather's) and a GW-5000JF G-Shock (because I wear it running and, well, I just think it's cool).

I'm sorry, what was the question again? Oh yeah, "which watch..?" Well I've made a case for an Explorer but there are TONS of great choices out there depending on your budget and stylistic leanings. I'm sure you know the usual suspects, so I'll suggest something completely out of left field: How about an MIH watch? A WHAT??? Look it up, you might like it and even if you don't their website and story make for an interesting read. Oh great, now I'm thinking about getting one too.

Enjoy your search!

·
Registered
356 Posts
From my current collection? SKX007. It rarely leaves my wrist, anyway.

Beyond my collection, it's harder to say since I haven't worn enough higher end pieces to be sure. Definitely something classic, versatile, and understated. Stainless bracelet and black dial. Probably a Sub or a Speedy, or possibly a GS.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts